What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Memberships

jc155776

Coach
11k that is season tickets yeah???

Good for Soufs, good for the game.

Hopefully a lot of those Soufs supporters can travel to other Sydney games as well.

Big crowds make for a good atmosphere which brings people back and more people to the games.

BBKing777

Juniors
11k that is season tickets yeah???

Good for Soufs, good for the game.

Hopefully a lot of those Soufs supporters can travel to other Sydney games as well.

Big crowds make for a good atmosphere which brings people back and more people to the games.

The question I pose is why arent the other clubs such as Rooster, Manly, Sharks, Panthers and co able to generate the crowds for their own teams?
Why should Souths fans have to travel to generate the atmosphere?
I would be embarressed if I were a member of one of these clubs and seeing the member numbers they have.

Souths have been the laughing stock of the league ever since I can remember and we were kicked out, and the butt of every joke.

Souths fans are laughing now, because with all the bullsh1t supporters have endured over the last 15+ years they have the most members of all the NRL and now have a team that I think will give the title and good shake.

Teams like Manly,Roosters should be spewing as they have been in the comp long enough and had plenty of success over recent years that their member numbers should be over 10k. Just not acceptable considering they are based in some of the most wealthy areas of Sydney.

Last edited:

LineBall

Juniors
Souths have done a great Job.

I'm a Broncos supporter, have been since '88, and am disappointed in their ticketed membership numbers. Being the only team in town, if they are fair dinkum, they should have a goal of 30,000 ticketed members. It's good that they have increased from last year, but they have a long way to go before they have reached their potential, in my opinion.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Souths have done a great Job.

I'm a Broncos supporter, have been since '88, and am disappointed in their ticketed membership numbers. Being the only team in town, if they are fair dinkum, they should have a goal of 30,000 ticketed members. It's good that they have increased from last year, but they have a long way to go before they have reached their potential, in my opinion.

Agree

TimmyB

Juniors
Well done to Souths. Hopefullly the rest of our clubs can step up to the benchmark they've provided.

The Tigers' numbers are very disappointing. We are one of the most supported clubs in the NRL - at least in turns of crowd numbers. We also have one of the most marketable rosters - Tuiaki, Marshall, Tuqiri and Farah are all players that should all bring in support. Our tickets should be up there around the 10 000 mark. I definitely think we'll bring in bigger crowds than some of the clubs that have higher member numbers; Canberra for example.

Perhaps playing at different grounds is part of the reason? Who knows...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well done to Souths. Hopefullly the rest of our clubs can step up to the benchmark they've provided.

The Tigers' numbers are very disappointing. We are one of the most supported clubs in the NRL - at least in turns of crowd numbers. We also have one of the most marketable rosters - Tuiaki, Marshall, Tuqiri and Farah are all players that should all bring in support. Our tickets should be up there around the 10 000 mark. I definitely think we'll bring in bigger crowds than some of the clubs that have higher member numbers; Canberra for example.

Bang on IMO, spread out way too far.

mckinks

Juniors

Most of my mates are Tigers fans and if you asked them they'd probably call themselves die-hards. Out of interest I recently queried over a beer if they were members of the football club and all said no, it didn't even occur them. Pretty much all live within a 5km radius of the Balmain district.

You're membership team needs pull its finger out in the local area because the job they're doing simply isn't good enough. It's not as if those fans in and around the peninsula can't afford it, either.

Aside from the vast distance between the stadiums (Campbelltown to Leichhardt is 50km), the price of Wests Tigers memberships may also be a deterrent. A general admission ticket for 12 games is $199, significantly more than the Canterbury ($95), and St George ($135) equivalents. You have to turn up to a minimum of 9-10 games to recover your money on a WT membership and if the team drops off early on, attending late season games becomes a burden, particularly if it entails a 100km round-trip on a Monday/Friday night..

The question I pose is why arent the other clubs such as Rooster, Manly, Sharks, Panthers and co able to generate the crowds for their own teams?
Why should Souths fans have to travel to generate the atmosphere?
I would be embarressed if I were a member of one of these clubs and seeing the member numbers they have.

Souths have been the laughing stock of the league ever since I can remember and we were kicked out, and the butt of every joke.

Souths fans are laughing now, because with all the bullsh1t supporters have endured over the last 15+ years they have the most members of all the NRL and now have a team that I think will give the title and good shake.

Teams like Manly,Roosters should be spewing as they have been in the comp long enough and had plenty of success over recent years that their member numbers should be over 10k. Just not acceptable considering they are based in some of the most wealthy areas of Sydney.

After many years in the wilderness, it's amazing what new, fresh, energized, high profile management can do. Say what you want about Rusty but he's done an amazing job at stirring the emotions and rallying the troops. He's gelled the club and its fans.
As for Easts, you didn't think they were going to improve their numbers after last year did you?

ouwet

Bench
After many years in the wilderness, it's amazing what new, fresh, energized, high profile management can do. Say what you want about Rusty but he's done an amazing job at stirring the emotions and rallying the troops. He's gelled the club and its fans.
As for Easts, you didn't think they were going to improve their numbers after last year did you?

Why not? The Bulldogs had a shocker of a year in 2008 and still managed to increase it's 2009 memberships...

westie

Bench
Aside from the vast distance between the stadiums (Campbelltown to Leichhardt is 50km), the price of Wests Tigers memberships may also be a deterrent. A general admission ticket for 12 games is $199, significantly more than the Canterbury ($95), and St George ($135) equivalents. You have to turn up to a minimum of 9-10 games to recover your money on a WT membership and if the team drops off early on, attending late season games becomes a burden, particularly if it entails a 100km round-trip on a Monday/Friday night..

Our membership campaign is embarrassing. In fact, I don't even believe I've seen any promo material.

I think the attitude at the bottom of the post is the thing clubs like Souths are changing, while we're still working out that ticketed memberships might be a good idea. The whole idea is to get fans to commit to going to the footy, not to think they couldn't be bothered because there's a chance we'll lose or it seems like a long way to go to the ground.

Sure, we should have one centralised ground which would obviously help (who wants to buy a membership to a general admission hill where you can't even see half the pitch), but it's the people who couldn't be arsed even going to more than the odd game who will bitch till they're blue about not having the opportunity to go to their old ground if the fancy strikes them.

Our membership campaign is embarrassing. In fact, I don't even believe I've seen any promo material.

I think the attitude at the bottom of the post is the thing clubs like Souths are changing, while we're still working out that ticketed memberships might be a good idea. The whole idea is to get fans to commit to going to the footy, not to think they couldn't be bothered because there's a chance we'll lose or it seems like a long way to go to the ground.

Sure, we should have one centralised ground which would obviously help (who wants to buy a membership to a general admission hill where you can't even see half the pitch), but it's the people who couldn't be arsed even going to more than the odd game who will bitch till they're blue about not having the opportunity to go to their old ground if the fancy strikes them.

The Tigers marketing team has to work harder than most to engender that 'unfailing' loyalty because, as you mention, we don't have a single home ground and therefore traveling supporters constitute the entire fan base; every supporter faces a lengthy trip to get to at least one of the grounds. The diehards will continue to traverse Sydney attending all home games regardless of results, but many supporters will either attend only the games in close vicinity or trek further afield when the team is performing well. The club should offer greater incentive for supporters to attend all venues; they could start by lowering the prices to a rate competitive with other Sydney clubs.

BTW Westie,

How would you about marketing WT memberships?

Assuming that in the near-future the club doesn't forsake its Inner-Western identity (Balmain and Wests Ashfield) by relocating permanently to Campbelltown or the Oasis site in Liverpool, how should it set about boosting membership numbers? Is it a matter of entrenching support in each of the separate districts and offering packages targeted at the same, or encouraging supporters to travel between the home grounds? At the moment there are a number of different membership options which purport to cater for each group, although they're obviously not working too well.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Bang on IMO, spread out way too far.

So why doesn't the same thing affect the Dragons? I think you will find that it's really about pushing for people to understand how important these memberships are, and offering packages to suit everybody.

westie

Bench
BTW Westie,

How would you about marketing WT memberships?

Assuming that in the near-future the club doesn't forsake its Inner-Western identity (Balmain and Wests Ashfield) by relocating permanently to Campbelltown or the Oasis site in Liverpool, how should it set about boosting membership numbers? Is it a matter of entrenching support in each of the separate districts and offering packages targeted at the same, or encouraging supporters to travel between the home grounds? At the moment there are a number of different membership options which purport to cater for each group, although they're obviously not working too well.

Hard one - which is why I think having our own ground is the biggest thing since Mark Tookey.

It's too expensive. Cut prices.
The Dragons seem to have had success selling individual ground packages.
As I think we're guaranteed cashola from the SFS games, why aren't we reducing the sh*t out of 12 games packages.

The main problem is just a complete lack of effort. We were signing members to a f**king month old fan group offering not much more than a good time faster than they were selling memberships to the actual club at one stage. There's no secret formula other than spending money and getting the word out. Just copy Souths ffs.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So why doesn't the same thing affect the Dragons? I think you will find that it's really about pushing for people to understand how important these memberships are, and offering packages to suit everybody.
The Dragons' regions are much closer to each other than the Tigers really... and having grounds as far west as Campbelltown and east as Moore Park, surely can't help.

gallagher

Juniors
Whats happening with the Gold Coast, Down about 1000 on last year. This must be a worry with the AFL coming in there.

smacky

Juniors
Whats happening with the Gold Coast, Down about 1000 on last year. This must be a worry with the AFL coming in there.

Damn expensive seems to be the main problem. I still suspect they will get quite large crowds as people would rather just buy normal tickets and not risk missing games making the memberships even more costly