What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Saint Doc

Coach
Political correctness gone mad. Alot of western art looks like a kid drew it, or just looks rubbish. An art critic obviously appreciates it but lay people think it looks like a mess and rightfully criticse it.

To have different goalposts for western and indigenous art is ridiculous! Is it not ok it say "my grandma tackles better than Preston Campbell" if he has a bad game?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
You really shouldnt insult Aboriginal art like that, ISC did not design this jersey but an actual Indigenousl artist did and took all the fishes from old rock cravings in Manly. the circles on the jersey are based on Water holes, so i would think twice before insulting Indigenous Art work.

geez you make it sound a crime against humanity there. Personally i think there is too much goin on in the manly jersey

Charlie124

First Grade
The design looks shit, really. Ive seen plenty of great looking indiginous jerseys over the last couple of years. But this one aint one of them.

Frailty

First Grade
The design looks shit, really. Ive seen plenty of great looking indiginous jerseys over the last couple of years. But this one aint one of them.

Exactly! And this was my original point.

I like how they include local art in it, but it just wasn't incorporated into a jersey. Look at Richmond's in the AFL last weekend, it was fantastic.

Surely they could have designed a better Manly/Indigenous Jersey rather than just place the fish and circles at the bottom of the jersey.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Tom Shines is a f**kwit, Charlie124 and Frailty make a much better point.

The problem with the jersey isn't with the aboriginal art itself, and noone is trying to attack or insult aboriginal people. The problem is with how the jersey has been designed as a whole.

zman

Juniors
Tom Shines is a f**kwit, Charlie124 and Frailty make a much better point.

The problem with the jersey isn't with the aboriginal art itself, and noone is trying to attack or insult aboriginal people. The problem is with how the jersey has been designed as a whole.

Everybody makes fair points, if you dont like a style of jersey that is fair enough but to say a 4 year old designed it, that is being insulting.

I know everyone has the freedom for there own opinion but sometimes you have to be careful on how you share with everyone.

The Indigenous jerseys are always designed by Indigenous people and not from the suppliers designer so that there can be meaning towards the jersey.

hellteam

First Grade
So the double header on Friday night.. manly vs Brisbane. It's manly's "home game", so im assuming the broncos will be made to wear the away strip at home? Won't be the first time its happened, but just wondering

Patorick

Staff member
So the double header on Friday night.. manly vs Brisbane. It's manly's "home game", so im assuming the broncos will be made to wear the away strip at home? Won't be the first time its happened, but just wondering
Unless Brisbane want to wear aqua/teal...

danmiles73

Juniors

Broncs wore their away jersey against the Warriors at home last year because it was a hot Sunday forecast and they wanted to wear white and force the Warriors to sweat it out in black.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Manly will be wearing their main jersey, Brisbane alternate.

hellteam

First Grade
Broncs wore their away jersey against the Warriors at home last year because it was a hot Sunday forecast and they wanted to wear white and force the Warriors to sweat it out in black.

I know, except the Warriors wore blue and smashed us.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Unless Brisbane want to wear aqua/teal...

I remember it was so random when i saw Brisbane run out it this in 1998. I was only a young fella.

hopoate%20%26Sailor%20fight_338439_p.jpg

PARRA_FAN

Coach
They wore it against Penrith in 08 (I think?) for the same reason against the Warriors last year and smashed the Panthers.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I remember it was so random when i saw Brisbane run out it this in 1998. I was only a young fella.

hopoate%20%26Sailor%20fight_338439_p.jpg

Good to see Dell smashing Hoppa.

But I remember it being odd when they did that, cause I recall in 1995 for the World Sevens they wore the Aqua jumpers and again in 2002.

So I dont understand the reason for the Aqua jumpers. Perhaps they were trying an EPL thing, alternite jumpers completely different to their home jersey.

There was a bit of clash of jersies for a period when they played Manly, if I remember they came back to Brookvale in 1999 and wore their home jersey but with yellow shorts.

beave

Coach
they did it because at the time (and I remember reading this in Bronco! magazine) was because they did some research and the most popular colors at the time with teens and tweens was aqua and purple (thanks to the Charlotte Hornets) so they jumped on board in the early- mid 90's and trialed the diamonds jersey in that color scheme. Ribot was the CEO at the time from memory around then, you ever wondered why the Storm have purple in their jersey???? I'd say it was a throwback to that research that was done in the earlier years at the Broncs and he continued it on when he was down in Melbourne.

beagle

Juniors
There was a bit of clash of jersies for a period when they played Manly, if I remember they came back to Brookvale in 1999 and wore their home jersey but with yellow shorts.

Brisbane wore a mainly yellow jersey, effectively a reverse of the home jersey at the time

EDIT: I think it was this jersey

Tallis%2cG%2098151_440807_p.jpg

Last edited: