What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

beave

Coach
On 'Chooseday Night Footy' on Fox, the Knights are playing the Raiders (1996), that Stockland jersey is awesome, what the f**k is going through the minds of the people that approved their current jersey when their older jersey absolutely shits on it??

beave

Coach
Ainscough%2cJamie%209505_233109_p.jpg

This one.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
THe marketing dept of some clubs seriously dont seem to undertsad that by using shit jerseys/changing every couple of years that they’re ultimately hurting the clubs branding.

Keep it simple. People will buy new jerseys every couple of years no matter if it’s the same or completely different. Look at clubs who know that, Illasox, Souths, Easts, etc. Keeping the same jersey for generations has not harmed their sales.

BDGS

Bench
THe marketing dept of some clubs seriously dont seem to undertsad that by using shit jerseys/changing every couple of years that they’re ultimately hurting the clubs branding.

Keep it simple. People will buy new jerseys every couple of years no matter if it’s the same or completely different. Look at clubs who know that, Illasox, Souths, Easts, etc. Keeping the same jersey for generations has not harmed their sales.

I wouldn't

beave

Coach
IMO towards the end of the 1990's clubs tried to be too fancy and futuristic (thanks to the impending new millenium I guess) with their jersey designs. They went away from simple and eye pleasing designs to more busy and intricate patterns in a bid to look more modern. I think now most clubs are 'getting it' that fans want a more simple and old school design................. but then again you have the Tigers and Knights abortions that negate the progress made. Brisbane are another team that just annoys the piss out of me, why can't they just go back to that 1992-1993 design with the predominantly maroon one for home and the yellow one for an away???? What they are wearing at the moment is disgraceful.

Saint Doc

Coach
Beave we are on the same wavelength, I was at the gym watching that chooseday night game and it was a pleasure to watch...packed marathon stadium, the strong red/blue Stockland Knights jersey vs the distinctive lime green machine of canberra...FNF with Rabs sterlo and fatty...Daley/mullins/noa vs the johns boys, chief and Robbie o...made me stay on the cardio machines about 30mins longer than usual (ie 32mins) it was that enjoyable to watch

Ps I had forgotten news classifieds sponsored the raiders...was that a one year pre-SL deal?

beave

Coach
I've always wondered, wtf were those buildings behind the eastern hill at Marathon??? I went there twice whilst it was in that old config and I never took note of what it actually was.......

PARRA_FAN

Coach
That game was on earlier, interesting seeing a young Matt Gidley playing fullback after playing Reserve Grade, not sure if that was his FG debut.

Any jersey pre SL was great.

hellteam

First Grade
It's true, 1995 was the golden era of jerseys. Pretty much every team in the league had their best/or close to best ever jersey.

Even the new teams that year (Cowboys, Warriors, Reds, Crushers) had awesome jerseys.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
See back then the Broncos jumper in your avatar was said to be a shocker but looking back I didnt think it was too bad. Not as good as their maroon one. Im a fan of the Warriors blue one.

BDGS

Bench
It's true, 1995 was the golden era of jerseys. Pretty much every team in the league had their best/or close to best ever jersey.

Even the new teams that year (Cowboys, Warriors, Reds, Crushers) had awesome jerseys.

That old reds jersey was one of the worst jerseys ever.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Exactly. Look at all famous brands - they keep their product as close to the original as possible, be it jeans, sunglasses or shoes. Obviously as fashion and technology changes little adjustments in style and design occur but the basis remains the same.

Saint Doc

Coach
It's a good design, only fault is that the panels at the top need to come down further. Love the colour scheme, real earthy outback colours

Western_Reds_home_jersey_1995.svg

Nuke

Staff member
I actually liked it the way it was. When the WA Reds come into the NRL in a few years (I think we can assume this pretty safely), I'd love to see them use this as their heritage jersey.

And yes, that Newcastle 1995-96 jersey was their absolute best in my opinion. Even if it was replicated using today's material (as they do in the heritage rounds), it can't be beaten. I don't know what it is, but there's just something about the loose cotton jerseys that really appeals to me. I think, perhaps, it's due to a couple of reasons. 1) I grew up watching footy when these were worn, and 2) it makes the players seem more like normal people. By that, I mean that if you watch the NRL now, all teams and players wear skin tight jerseys, and all the players (well, most!) are incredibly fit, so they look like what they are: elite sportsmen. They look like they're more than the common man, which makes them look like they're out of touch with the rest of us.

They will never do it, but I would love to see one heritage round, where all clubs wear their heritage jerseys, but in the heavy-material jerseys (like the Classic retro range). Let the jersey flap about a bit in the wind when the players are running..! Like I said, it'll never happen again, but I'd love to see it!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm told that the Dragons' WIL jersey will be the pink vee again, which would mean (I would assume) that Manly will have to wear their Women in League jersey in Round 15 or 17.

BDGS

Bench
Ha, says the guy who thinks the current Melbourne jersey is 'brilliant'

I didn't say it was brilliant, i said its not as bad as people make it out. The away Storm jersey is ugly. Melbourne's best jersey was their original jerseys.

But a most white jersey with dog vomit panels at the top of the jersey isn't my idea of a good jersey.

Latest posts