What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

beave

Coach
Wonder which jersey the Cowbs will be wearing today??? The white alternate one might be a bit of a clash with the panthers pink jersey.

S.R.

Juniors
Cowboys, Manly and I think one other club will wear Indigenous jerseys.

The Wests Tigers will wear their Magpies hoops in Round 22 against St George Illawarra.

Not sure about any others for the rest of the year besides those.

The Knights always have an "Indigenous" jersey....

PARRA_FAN

Coach
2nd year in a row Parramatta will wear their WIL jersies against Brisbane. Although with the lighter blue would that mean Brisbane will wear their maroon jersey? Would make more sense otherwise their away one would clash with Parramatta's jersey

Is it just me, or are all these "one off" jerseys getting a bit much? I mean we've got home, away, heritage, indigenous, various cancer jerseys (Penrith's white ribbon, Pink, Crounlla's yellow call to arms), Anzac day for Easts and St George.

I know the cancer ones are for a good cause but it's getting to the point that every week there are mew jerseys coming out for what ever reason.

Reckon clubs should stick to home, away and one "one off" jersey per year and they can work out what one it'll be. Heritage, Cancer, Anzac etc. That way clubs won't be seeing as ripping off the fans.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
IMO there are clubs that really don't need alternate jerseys - Canberra being one, Souths having white and black panels seems almost pointless. For us, I think the one jersey would probably suffice but I understand sometimes we're deemed to clash with opposition.

As for the one off's - I think the NRL should demand each club have 1 heritage and 1 charity strip each year and nothing more. Keep controls on it.

Some clubs might argue that impacts merchandise sales but I'd argue creating iconic brands and designs may well negate that impact.

Frailty

First Grade
I don't think placing a cap on how many 'one off jerseys' is the answer and realistically, how many fans purchase all the charity jerseys as well as the home and away ones.

Whilst I'm a fan of just having a main jersey and an alternate (only to be worn when there is a clash), I think to prevent clubs from visibly supporting charities in this fashion would diminish the public image of the game.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
As for the one off's - I think the NRL should demand each club have 1 heritage and 1 charity strip each year and nothing more. Keep controls on it.

I agree but I can't see the clubs saying yes. You'd still have the Tigers claiming they need two heratige jerseys and two alternates etc...

Some clubs might argue that impacts merchandise sales but I'd argue creating iconic brands and designs may well negate that impact.

I would wager that you'd sell more if teams wore them more consistently. Who is really buying more than one at $160 a pop?

RHCP

Bench
If I knew that the jersey I was buying was going to be the jersey my team was wearing for the next five years or at least that it wouldn't be changed next season I might buy one.

Danish

Referee
I don't think placing a cap on how many 'one off jerseys' is the answer and realistically, how many fans purchase all the charity jerseys as well as the home and away ones.

Whilst I'm a fan of just having a main jersey and an alternate (only to be worn when there is a clash), I think to prevent clubs from visibly supporting charities in this fashion would diminish the public image of the game.

1 off charity jerseys are ok. Its the seemingly endless amount of alternate strips teams like the Tigers and these days us at the roosters trot out that piss me (and I'd say most people) off.

Take Roosters as an example. We have:

1) Home Jersey - worn twice this year
2) Away jersey - french style, worn once thus far
3) Heritage strip - seems to have taken over away, worn as home jersey this year multiple times as well. Probably worn more than home and away put together
4) ANZAC day jersey - horrid US camo monstrosity, one off
5) Pink heritage strip - one off, no problems here
6) 2000 games jersey - one off worn against the dogs. Just the home kit with a bunch of emblems stuck all over it and the names of our rep players on it

I'm unsure if we are wearing an indigenous jersey this year, although we did last year. Assuming we do that will make 7. Thats just f**king ridiculous and could easily be cut back to 4 (home, away, heritage, pink)

Has any team topped 6 jerseys in a year before? I gotta think the tigers would come close

beave

Coach
jesus Danish, that's f**king pretty bad. I didn't realise the chooks had that many jerseys this year.

M2D2

Bench
I buy the cronulla members jersey each year (so far) and usually one other (each year) Only got the members last year got away and heritage the year before that and the home the year before that, but i will get our away jersey by the end of this year...even tho i hate blades.

hellteam

First Grade
Not sure if anyone else has brought this up, but how bad was the NSW under 16 and 18 jersey. Shades of the 1997 Origin shocker.. I wouldn't be happy if I made NSW and had to wear a jersey that looked more like Victoria.

00024831-Photo.jpg

Evenflow

Bench
A one off jersey the Storm will be wearing against the Broncs in round 20. I like it though i'm sure a few others won't share that opinion.

989a9j.jpg

beave

Coach
See I like that jersey. But the Crown logo could have been incorporated much better. f**k the navy blue box off and just do the logo in the navy blue by itself, if someone can do it, I would love to see it (i am a photoshop spazz)