What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Dragon Dave

Bench
Those big American sports don't need playing aparel sponsors, they make enough money. Unfortunately for League, we need every cent we can get from sponsors.

Goddo

Bench
Neither does the NBA or MLB or NHL (I had to check google for that last one). And I'm trying to bring up a serious point, I'm curious about why their sports seem to do fine financially without ruining jerseys with any jersey sponsors. While we rely on massive sponsors logos all over ours. And the AFL jerseys, while they do have sponsors, are much more out of the way and less obvious than ours.

And I don't have a problem with sponsors in general, I just hate them on jerseys. I wouldn't care if every cm of every field was covered in logos. Same as the stadium naming rights etc etc, it's just when they're on jerseys that it gets irritating

The amount of revenue they get from their TV deal is huge. When you are that rich you protect the brands you have for the very reason you don't think the Storm jersey should have sponsors.

Ecconomies of scale - for every club in the NFL, they have roughly 10m people in the US, as opposed to the NRL or AFL who only have a 50% share of 23m spread across 16 clubs - roughly 0.6m people per club - so we need every cent we can get. That and we are in direct competition with other football codes, the NFL is not.

EDIT: - Asside - This is one of the reasons I am in favour of the NRL developing its expansion plans along projected population growth and catchement targets for each club of around 1m people.

This is why we should not expand in central Queensland - there just isn't enough people there. Concentrate of Wellington/Christchurch Perth Adelaide, South East Queensland and to a lesser degree Central Coast/North Sydney.

Last edited:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Neither does the NBA or MLB or NHL (I had to check google for that last one). And I'm trying to bring up a serious point, I'm curious about why their sports seem to do fine financially without ruining jerseys with any jersey sponsors. While we rely on massive sponsors logos all over ours. And the AFL jerseys, while they do have sponsors, are much more out of the way and less obvious than ours.

And I don't have a problem with sponsors in general, I just hate them on jerseys. I wouldn't care if every cm of every field was covered in logos. Same as the stadium naming rights etc etc, it's just when they're on jerseys that it gets irritating

You are aware that the USA has a population 15 times that of Australia and that the NFL has no domestic competitor aren't you? Their TV rights are worth over a billion dollars a year alone from FOX, who is only 1 of 3 broadcasters. When you then consider that a city the size of Sydney has only one team, competing against 31 other teams from cities of similar sizes, then it should be clear that your comparison is pointless.

Same goes for NBA, MLB & NHL. America is unique in that it also has billionaires who own most of the teams as their play things.

BunniesMan

Immortal
You are aware that the USA has a population 15 times that of Australia and that the NFL has no domestic competitor aren't you? Their TV rights are worth over a billion dollars a year alone from FOX, who is only 1 of 3 broadcasters. When you then consider that a city the size of Sydney has only one team, competing against 31 other teams from cities of similar sizes, then it should be clear that your comparison is pointless.

Same goes for NBA, MLB & NHL. America is unique in that it also has billionaires who own most of the teams as their play things.
Well ok, fair enough with the american sports. But what about Australian sports. Looking at the cricket right now, they have a small logo on one side of their chest and on their sleeve.

And the AFL, has a small logo on one side of the chest, and one at the bottom of the back. Much smaller and much more out of the way than ours.

So that's 2 sports that are a fairer comparison. I think we're being ripped off and not negotiating properly. We're getting paid too little for logos that are too big, while the AFL and cricket are obviously doing a much better job of handling jersey sponsoring.
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...IWYCg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Oh god, SHUT UP. Sponsors are lifeblood, if they keep our clubs afloat we should allow them to do what they want as far as most sane people are concerned.

thuggdogg

Juniors
It is actually made out of real tiger fur too! For every jersey sold, one tiger cub gets killed. But don't be up in arms...good fashion comes at a price!

Dont worry my brotha to another mother...

If that be true........no cub getting killed.

Because they need to be making sales for that to happen. No one will be buyin dat except maybe my man AJ because he is a hella crazy tigers supporter who always buys his gear from the tigers no matter what and will feel obliged to be spending the cash on it even though he only works part time as a runner.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Oh god, SHUT UP. Sponsors are lifeblood, if they keep our clubs afloat we should allow them to do what they want as far as most sane people are concerned.
Noone is arguing that sponsorships shouldn't exist. Of course they should. I'm aware of the fact that they are very important. I just think we could get a better deal. NRL has the best tv numbers, so those sponsors are getting more eyeballs on their logos on our jerseys than our rivals. So I think we deserve even more money than AFL teams while also making the logos smaller than they are now.

My point isn't to eliminate sponsoring, it's to get more money while also having smaller logos, the AFL does it. We have bigger tv audiences, so there is no reason we shouldn't have at least the same as them. IF we have people negotiating for us who know what they're doing

Timmah

Staff member
"The AFL does it"? :lol:

Does that mean we should let our players allegedly commit rapes, be accused of sexual assault and domestic violence, allow our Grand Finals to be drawn, put a team Western Melbourne that is almost certain to fail and start signing AFL players into new NRL teams as a marketing gimmick?

BunniesMan

Immortal
"The AFL does it"? :lol:

Does that mean we should let our players allegedly commit rapes, be accused of sexual assault and domestic violence, allow our Grand Finals to be drawn, put a team Western Melbourne that is almost certain to fail and start signing AFL players into new NRL teams as a marketing gimmick?
Although I don't see how the first 3 things you listed are relevant. But as for the 2nd three (GF/western team/signing afl players) you're not being very logical. Just because I'd like to adopt something they're doing better than us does not mean I want us to adopt all the bad things they do. And all of those things you listed have absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Well ok, fair enough with the american sports. But what about Australian sports. Looking at the cricket right now, they have a small logo on one side of their chest and on their sleeve.

And the AFL, has a small logo on one side of the chest, and one at the bottom of the back. Much smaller and much more out of the way than ours.

So that's 2 sports that are a fairer comparison. I think we're being ripped off and not negotiating properly. We're getting paid too little for logos that are too big, while the AFL and cricket are obviously doing a much better job of handling jersey sponsoring.

You are aware that Cricket Australia is budgeting for a LOSS of 16 million dollars this year aren't you? You can't just ignore or apply facts when it suits. The Australian One Day uniform has been sponsored for years right across the front and and and and Cricket is the ONLY NATIONAL sport we have, which again brings in economies of scale. You can't talk to a Victorian or Crow Eater during winter, but during the cricket season everyone is on the same page.

In regards to AFL, its fair to say they are marketed far better and pay more attention to tradition, but before 1994 it would have been sacrilege to put a sponsorship on the back of jumper, but clubs do it out of necessity.

I pray to god that you are not studying anything to do with the corporate realities of life in a developed nation champion (finance, economics, commerce) because you will be wasting years of your life.

BunniesMan

Immortal
In regards to AFL, its fair to say they are marketed far better and pay more attention to tradition, but before 1994 it would have been sacrilege to put a sponsorship on the back of jumper, but clubs do it out of necessity.
Well then, if the AFL have smaller logos because they're marketed better am I wrong for wanting the NRL to do a better job too so we can get just as much money from sponsors as they do while having the same sized logos? Why should I or any other fans be ok with 2nd best in any way.

Joker's Wild

Coach
While I agree that jersey sponsorship is a modern reality and we would be in big financial trouble as a sport without it, I think there needs to be better guidlines set up around the design and placement of said sponsors.

The Broncos previous "WoW" abortion is a prime example of what should not be allowed to take place. European soccer does a very good job of intergrating sponsors into their playing strips and it should be a model the NRL adopts.

BunniesMan

Immortal
While I agree that jersey sponsorship is a modern reality and we would be in big financial trouble as a sport without it, I think there needs to be better guidlines set up around the design and placement of said sponsors.

The Broncos previous "WoW" abortion is a prime example of what should not be allowed to take place. European soccer does a very good job of intergrating sponsors into their playing strips and it should be a model the NRL adopts.
This is what I'm trying to say. While I don't like jersey sponsors I understand it's a very important part of the game. But it can still be there without ruining the jersey. I hate to give them a compliment but look at the Roosters. The "Steggles" logo goes really well into the jersey and it doesn't sh*t on it. But a lot of other jerseys are much worse, like the Storm. Instead of plastering on a big logo in an even bigger box, spend 2 seconds and figure out a way of making it look less in the way.

Timmah

Staff member
The Storm's hand were forced with Jayco last year, they had to do a fix-up job after ME Bank pulled out.

To be fair most teams integrate now. Keeping in mind the Bulldogs and Dragons have interrupted the Vee for years now, you have integrated sponsorship from:

Brisbane, Canberra, Canterbury, Manly (sort of), Newcastle, Cowboys, Parra, Penrith, Saints, Roosters and Warriors are all "subliminated" so to speak.

If you want to be picky and take Saints and Dogs out that's fine, but it's really only a select few teams that don't integrate anymore.

In fact I think even DeLonghi are "sublminated" as well.