What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Memberships

bfoord

Juniors
I agree with that. It's hard comparing "memberships" when you have a teams like the Roosters ($94 min-online) and the Titans ($210 min) for the same memberships and the same amount of games...

I paid $190 for my Broncos full season membership (die hard)

chefman21

Juniors
I think we should be looking at ticketed memberships as they are important for getting people to the games, which in turn adds to the spectacle of our sport.

At the same time the main purpose of this whole push towards memberships is to help clubs bottom lines. Non ticketed memberships help to do this and i have no problem with clubs boasting about their numbers.

Hopefully it gets some other clubs to try and achieve the same sort of numbers.

I'm of the belief that renewing ticketed members should get a discount of a certain amount each year. It might be 10% off the membership, cheaper home final tickets, a discount at other grounds or sports, occasional invitations to the higher category member parties etc etc. It might keep a certain percentage of members with the club. Hopefully over time you could then build your member base this way i.e. the members that stay are supported by new members, who then stay and are supported by new members and so on and so forth. Even if it is only 200 members a year it's a good start.

thommo4pm

Coach
You went for the Dragons. It is tough for people to understand that. I'm a souths fan, Rooster hating is a hobby of mine. Part of my sig is insulting them. And even I went for them over the dragons.

As for contributing, tough to contribute when you're distracted by someone who had the Dragons as his number 2 team.

And why is that tough for people to understand?
Timmah's choice was the Dragons over other sides. He has made it clear several times his partner is a Dragons fan and Timmah himself attends many of our home games. Makes perfect sense to me.
It would be harder for people to understand why a Souths supporter would have chosen the Roosters.
2 Souths supporters I work with were begging for Saints to get over the Roosters in the GF. Perhaps you have it the wrong way around.

BunniesMan

Immortal
And why is that tough for people to understand?
Timmah's choice was the Dragons over other sides. He has made it clear several times his partner is a Dragons fan and Timmah himself attends many of our home games. Makes perfect sense to me.
It would be harder for people to understand why a Souths supporter would have chosen the Roosters.
2 Souths supporters I work with were begging for Saints to get over the Roosters in the GF. Perhaps you have it the wrong way around.

They are my 2 most hated teams. But I wanted the Roosters over the Dragons for 3 reasons:

a) Style - The Roosters played exciting football, the kind of footy that is easier for neutral fans to see. It was much more attractive than the Dragons tedious style.

b) History - Roosters are the only other foundation club. I respect that. The Dragons basically did a semi-relocation but tell everyone it's a joint venture. I don't respect that.

c) Individual players - I have an unexplainable and irrational hatred for Jamie Soward. He is the player I hate the most in the league, I find it hard to cheer for any team he is on. On the other hand I have a soft spot for Todd Carney and I have a love/hate thing going on with Braith Anasta.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't understand why someone even has to explain a choice of team. With my team out of the running I chose an easy choice.

You can rest assured my cheering for our Grand Final winning NSW Cup team was far louder and far more passionate than anything I've done for the red and white.

thommo4pm

Coach
I don't understand why someone even has to explain a choice of team. With my team out of the running I chose an easy choice.

You can rest assured my cheering for our Grand Final winning NSW Cup team was far louder and far more passionate than anything I've done for the red and white.

As you said Timmah, you don't need to explain yourself. Who you decided to cheer for really is nobody's business.

thommo4pm

Coach
They are my 2 most hated teams. But I wanted the Roosters over the Dragons for 3 reasons:

a) Style - The Roosters played exciting football, the kind of footy that is easier for neutral fans to see. It was much more attractive than the Dragons tedious style.

b) History - Roosters are the only other foundation club. I respect that. The Dragons basically did a semi-relocation but tell everyone it's a joint venture. I don't respect that.

c) Individual players - I have an unexplainable and irrational hatred for Jamie Soward. He is the player I hate the most in the league, I find it hard to cheer for any team he is on. On the other hand I have a soft spot for Todd Carney and I have a love/hate thing going on with Braith Anasta.

And so that is your choice, good luck to you.

Lambretta

First Grade
I agree with that. It's hard comparing "memberships" when you have a teams like the Roosters ($94 min-online) and the Titans ($210 min) for the same memberships and the same amount of games...

This $99 membership for the Roosters is general admission - ie seating towards the corners of the ground

Chookpen membership is $245 for covered seating and $215 uncovered

A six game pass for the Roosters is $150

ouwet

Bench
As you said Timmah, you don't need to explain yourself. Who you decided to cheer for really is nobody's business.

The little princess can't take a little stirring and needs some defending by St Merge fans... oooooooh too cute!

Bulldogs up to 1300 members.

_Johnsy

Referee

A) 32-8 We keep hearing about the exciting style of play of the roosters, what happened on 3rd October? Did they suddenley forget how to play ? But let me guess you'd rather your team play attacking footy compared to having success, right. For a team that's boring, we rested 5 in round 26, and still made your lot look 2nd rate.

B) It is a joint venture, no matter how much you bleat on about it, it will not change. Deal with it & move on.

C) When you are good, opposition fans don't like you. I'l trust Bennetts judgement over yours.

I did see that you were supporting Roosters in the GF, well you know what they say, once a loser always a loser. It seems to suit souths don't you think. ;-)

ouwet

Bench
You didn't watch the 2nd half? Interesting.

I watched the whole game mate (Bulldogs pre match function/Cat A tickets)... The Roosters got some really dodgy calls that effected the final score (No doubt)... St George would've won but not by that margin! Second half? I saw a really dodgy try to Dean Young (It 100% came off a Roosters arm, constituting a knock on).

BunniesMan

Immortal
B) It is a joint venture, no matter how much you bleat on about it, it will not change. Deal with it & move on.

C) When you are good, opposition fans don't like you. I'l trust Bennetts judgement over yours.

I did see that you were supporting Roosters in the GF, well you know what they say, once a loser always a loser. It seems to suit souths don't you think. ;-)

B) :roll: Sure, if you need to tell yourself that to sleep at night. The "Illawarra" part of the name is going the way of Bankstown, Sutherland and Warringah.

C) I never said Soward was a bad or untalented player.

_Johnsy

Referee
But the Bankstown, Sutherland & Warringah are all still being by those clubs.
As you can see by visiting the clubs websites, all the 3 teams you refer to have a reference to the Bankstown, Sutherland & Warringah on their official logo. What is exactly the "part of the name is going the way" rationale you use ?

Perceptions are often different to reality.

BunniesMan

Immortal
But the Bankstown, Sutherland & Warringah are all still being by those clubs.
As you can see by visiting the clubs websites, all the 3 teams you refer to have a reference to the Bankstown, Sutherland & Warringah on their official logo. What is exactly the "part of the name is going the way" rationale you use ?

Perceptions are often different to reality.

Perception is reality. I'm not saying the Dragons will ever officially eliminate the "Illawarra" part of the name. But to say it is an equal, fair and even joint venture is ridiculous. It is and always was a semi-relocation disguised as a joint venture. Look at the logo, the colours, the jersey. Everything that matters when it comes to identifying the team. It is the St George Dragons, and you just happen to play 6 games a few k's down the highway.

_Johnsy

Referee
Why would we change one of, if not the most recognised rugby league logo's & jersey's? It does not make sense to change.

The colours are almost identical, this year the club has finally recognised what many of the dragon fans wanted, the old Illawarra jersey as our alternate jersey.

Our main training base is in wollongong, our club administration is split between the 2 locations. Construction/ground upgrades excluded the games are always a 50/50 split.

Out of both the JV's I would suggest that we are closer to an equitable 50/50 split. The success this year will only cement & strengthen this IMO.

As I said how you or other non-dragon fans identify our club is irrelevant, because it only matters how we see the split. Exactly the same as some WT fans would disagree with my bolded comment above.

Timmah

Staff member
The little princess can't take a little stirring and needs some defending by St Merge fans... oooooooh too cute!

Bulldogs up to 1300 members.
What did you expect with all the dud calls they got?
I watched the whole game mate (Bulldogs pre match function/Cat A tickets)... The Roosters got some really dodgy calls that effected the final score (No doubt)... St George would've won but not by that margin! Second half? I saw a really dodgy try to Dean Young (It 100% came off a Roosters arm, constituting a knock on).
:lol: Your story changes hourly. Initially you're claiming the Roosters dudded by refereeing, then it changes to "the margin wouldn't have been as big". They've had to lump it for 31 years to this point, let them have their glory, we'll have ours next year.
B) :roll: Sure, if you need to tell yourself that to sleep at night. The "Illawarra" part of the name is going the way of Bankstown, Sutherland and Warringah.
Seriously? :lol:

So they play at WIN Stadium, Wollongong... what for? Fun? :lol:

Timmah

Staff member
Perception is reality. I'm not saying the Dragons will ever officially eliminate the "Illawarra" part of the name. But to say it is an equal, fair and even joint venture is ridiculous. It is and always was a semi-relocation disguised as a joint venture. Look at the logo, the colours, the jersey. Everything that matters when it comes to identifying the team. It is the St George Dragons, and you just happen to play 6 games a few k's down the highway.
What a ridiculous, absurd thing to say.

What you're saying makes as much sense as me claiming the Rabbitohs are est. 2002 and have no premierships.

I.e. utter nonsense.