What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Memberships

Frailty

First Grade
Who's whinging - I have no doubt we made more money out of this than either of the other two clubs, especially Manly.

Hmmm...

Von said:
Roosters 7214.

A statement from their website. A deserved dig at Manly & Cronulla...

Sydney Roosters post record Membership figures
8/02/2011 4:59:28 PM
The Sydney Roosters would like to thank all the new members of the club who signed up throughout the Battle of the Beaches.

The promotion contributed to the highest ever sign-up level during a one week period in Club history.

Whilst we did not win the Battle of the Beaches promotion, we are very proud of our achievements and the loyalty demonstrated by our fans.

We signed up just under 2,000 Members in the one week period and unlike other Clubs, we made a conscious decision not to disadvantage loyal Members who signed up pre-Christmas by discounting or giving away membership packages.

Two whingers in one post

RWB

Bench
It's true, we did do well to get so close considering we didn't discount or give away free memberships.

It's not a shot at the other clubs it's just a good sign for us in our long term future.

mxlegend99

Referee
What are the Panthers doing wrong out there?

It is suppose to be the heart of Rugby League and they have the least memberships so far. I hope that changes. They have the potential to at least reach 8,000 this year. 10,000 by 2012.
The problem with it being the heart or Rugby League is that most kids have access to free season passes to all NRL games through playing junior footy. The families of these kids quiet often end up with multiple passes and have no need to buy season tickets. They can attend almost any NRL game for free.

The other problem is that the area has more supporters of other clubs then it does Penrith supporters. I doubt even 25% of the league followers in the area would be Penrith supporters. Most of my friends support another club... and all through school in this area people seemed to go for other clubs.

Well that's Penrith's problem for being stupid enough not to have a non ticketed membership. It's a source of revenue their ignoring.
Uhhhh.... we do have non ticketed memberships. We just don't report them as season ticket holders.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Sailor played 89 years with the Broncos and 5 seconds with the Dragons but he is always flogging the Dragons,what a genius.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Uhhhh.... we do have non ticketed memberships. We just don't report them as season ticket holders.
Showe me where anyone is reporting non ticketed membership as ticketed? There are 2 seperate counts, the ticketed one and the real total memberships one. If Penrith have non ticketed membership it should be part of their total count.

mxlegend99

Referee
Showe me where anyone is reporting non ticketed membership as ticketed? There are 2 seperate counts, the ticketed one and the real total memberships one. If Penrith have non ticketed membership it should be part of their total count.
Nearly all of the reported figures have most clubs boosting their numbers anyway they can. I don't see the point in counting memberships of people who either aren't paying, or won't be attending games etc. just to make the numbers seem better.

It gets a bit ridiculous when people are reporting membership totals that will beat their crowd figures. Or assuming they were true, would account for the bulk of the crowd.

RWB

Bench
Penrith include their non-ticketed members in their total membership count... all clubs do.

Rabbitohs are just a little different in that they count the deceased & pets but whatever floats their boat.

Von

Juniors
I believe a 2nd Brisbane team would do two things:

a) Help push more Broncos fans to sign up as a show of loyalty (eg Titans v Suns this year).
b) Force the Broncos to promote memberships further, which isn't very good at the moment TBH. Considering the cash behind them they should be able to make a good go of it.

Totally agree applesauce. You make many constructive posts on here and this is another one. A second Brisbane team would be great for the Broncos in increased competition, rivalry, & thus increased memberships. At the moment there is little incentive for Broncos fans to sign up. Furthermore, to suggest as some have done, the Broncos only after 25,000 odd members means that is not enough for a second Brisbane team is incorrect. On the contrary, that says to me, there is there are an awful lot of league fans living in Brisbane who are anti-Broncos and looking to embrace a new team. Another Brisbane team = another 25,000 members. Think Crows & port in Adelaide; Eagles & Freo in Perth.

Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with Wendall Sailor being classed as a dragons legend
You're not the only one Simmo. A Bronco cum Qld Red, cum NSW Waratah (like how does that work?), cum smackhead cum a Dragon for 2 ordinary seasons. I can't believe he is milking the Dragons the way he does. Surely a Mark Coyne, or even Craig Young would be more fitting.
Kind of like Souths being represented with the former Bear & Crusher, Mario....and Canterbury with the former Magpie. Although most would agree Lamb is considered a Bulldogs legend. Sailor is far from a Dragons legend. Strange, esp for the "Battle of the Legends"

Von

Juniors
Hmmm...

Two whingers in one post

Mate, not whinging. I personally think it was an excellent strategic long term move by Manly & Cronulla to give away memberships in the hope that those members will stay for years and attract their mates. But I don't believe such freebies should have been counted when running a competition to see which club signs up the most members? I just think it makes a mockery of the competiton.

Who's whinging - I have no doubt we made more money out of this than either of the other two clubs, especially Manly.

Regardless of the competition, I agree with adam. If the sole focus for the clubs was obtaining a lousy $10,000 they would have been better signing up, not giving away, even a small 500 new paying members at an average of a small $100. Even that is a whopping $50,000.

The Battle was/is a bit of fun for clubs. Shame some clubs can't even play by the rules in such a simple thing like this. And we are shocked by salary cap rorting?

Finally, does this sound like whingers to you. Both myself and adam were some of the first to congratulate Cronulla.....

congrats sharkies, hopefully the surge continues.

Come on NRL, wheres the final numbers?

The NRL site is yet to be updated, but I'll take your tip.

CONGRATZ SHARKS!

Last edited:

Jono1987

Juniors
Why are all the 'Legends' scum clubs?

How dare you...

For all those bagging Sailor I fail to see what the big deal is? He only played with us for two seasons sure, but quickly became a club and crowd favourite. He's a showman and the perfect 'face' for our membership drive. Seems to be working a treat too..

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Nearly all of the reported figures have most clubs boosting their numbers anyway they can. I don't see the point in counting memberships of people who either aren't paying, or won't be attending games etc. just to make the numbers seem better.

It gets a bit ridiculous when people are reporting membership totals that will beat their crowd figures. Or assuming they were true, would account for the bulk of the crowd.
Well in my mind there's a huge difference between "aren't paying" and "not attending games". I totally agree that free memberships shouldn't count, but non ticketed memberships are important. Not everyone can get to games but they still choose to give money to their club for basically nothing. Non ticked memberships are just as important as ticketed memberships.

Basically we should count all memberships that people have actually paid for.
You're not the only one Simmo. A Bronco cum Qld Red, cum NSW Waratah (like how does that work?), cum smackhead cum a Dragon for 2 ordinary seasons. I can't believe he is milking the Dragons the way he does. Surely a Mark Coyne, or even Craig Young would be more fitting.
Kind of like Souths being represented with the former Bear & Crusher, Mario....and Canterbury with the former Magpie. Although most would agree Lamb is considered a Bulldogs legend. Sailor is far from a Dragons legend. Strange, esp for the "Battle of the Legends"
BS. While I don't have a problem with Sailor because he seems to have genuine passion for the Drgaons but comparing Wendell for Dragons and Mario for Souths is crazy.

There is a huge difference. Mario played most of his career for Souths and would have been a 1 club man if he had his way. He's been bleeding red and green his entire life and is a diehard rabbitoh. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him representing us in our membership drives.
Why are all the 'Legends' scum clubs?
The 'legend' clubs are 'legends' because they're legendary. You got the Rabbitohs and Dragons, the two most iconic brands in rugby league. And the Doggies are the 3rd oldest club in the NRL. They're pretty legendary as well (except for that little period in the mid 90s).

Who else out of the Sydney clubs would be branded as 'legends'? There is nothing legendary about western Sydney so that rules out the Tigers, Eels and Panthers.

As for the wankers in the east? Well you got the Sharks who are surrounded on all sides by one of the 'legends'. And I bet there's more Dragon fans in Cronulla than there is sharks fans. They've never been anything but a cheap gimmick to try and f**k over the Dragons.

As for Manly? Little more than shooting star, they meant something for a period of time and then quickly fizzled. They are little more than the northern version of Cronulla. Also I find it deliciously ironic that one of the 2 'rich snob' teams are relatively poor these days. That's what you get for being rich snobs (my parents live in Mosman and go for Manly...who would have thought two Manly fans would be able to breed and make a child that is smart enough to go for Souths.

And then you have the other rich snob team. Unlike Manly, at least the Roosters have the IQ to use some of their rich snob fans to finance a team for all 46 of their fans.

So in my humble opinion, Souths, Dragons and the Bulldogs are the only teams that even come close to deserving the term 'legends'.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
As for Manly? Little more than shooting star, they meant something for a period of time and then quickly fizzled. They are little more than the northern version of Cronulla. Also I find it deliciously ironic that one of the 2 'rich snob' teams are relatively poor these days. That's what you get for being rich snobs (my parents live in Mosman and go for Manly...who would have thought two Manly fans would be able to breed and make a child that is smarter enough to go for Souths.

:lol:

I'm glad you were smarter enough to choose the team that has made less finals series in your lifetime than Manly has won premierships.

BunniesMan

Immortal
:lol:

I'm glad you were smarter enough to choose the team that has made less finals series in your lifetime than Manly has won premierships.
I can type 90wpm. Sometimes I'll make a minor mistake. No big deal.

As for more Manly premierships than Souths finals series since I was born (1990). Well...barely. And if my parents were smart enough to make me in 1989 instead of 1990 then it would be 2-2. We had an awesome year in 1989. Easily the best team for most of the year.

BDGS

Bench
How dare you...

For all those bagging Sailor I fail to see what the big deal is? He only played with us for two seasons sure, but quickly became a club and crowd favourite. He's a showman and the perfect 'face' for our membership drive. Seems to be working a treat too..

I'm surprised the sentence didn't go like this

"For all those bagging Sailor I fail to see what the big dell is?"

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The 'legend' clubs are 'legends' because they're legendary. You got the Rabbitohs and Dragons, the two most iconic brands in rugby league. And the Doggies are the 3rd oldest club in the NRL. They're pretty legendary as well (except for that little period in the mid 90s).

:? Canterbury are the second oldest continuous club in the NRL behind the Roosters. Dragons are now St George Illawarra. Souths had a couple of years off. We're it behind the Roosters.

As for the mid-90s, wtf? We made two Grand Finals and won the 1995 premiership :?