What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 NSW Cup

RL Tragic

Juniors
Any predictions for 2011???? Just looked at the possible Auckland team and they look good and Canterbury will be very tough to beat again. Cronulla should improve. Any word on whether Saints will be St George Illawarra Dragons, Illawarra Steelers or have they confirmed Southern Marlins?

RL Tragic

Juniors
Hard to believe this years Premiers and possible 'World Club Champions' dont have a team in the 2nd tier competition. Even when you consider that in their own releases they have sold many more millions of dollars in merchandising because they won the comp. So they should be able to foot the bill. They have missed a real chance to have the feel good story of the year by ressurecting the Illawarra Steelers or have a St george Illawarra Dragons team to enhance the brand. Hopefully they can get something going before the comp starts as the Southern Marlins are still in the draw on the NSWRL website and it does not become an 11 team comp.

girvie

Staff member
It'd be a bit of a shame to have only 11 teams.

I really hope they don't have a top-8. It'd be an embarrassment.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Dragons should be forced to enter a team - Illawarra Steelers. Double standards yet again by the NSWRL (e.g. Canberra no S.G Ball or Harold Matthews teams).

RL Tragic

Juniors
If that rumour is correct about Canberra allowed back into SG and HM hopefully it means that they are putting a team in the NSW Cup or have they finally sorted out the Southern Marlins with Saints? Would be great to see Illawarra and Canberra in separately though. Rumours for next year are promising - Souths going it alone as their contract with Norths finishes this year. Melbourne and Cronulla jv is for one year only as once the Storms salary cap problems are sorted thru they are working towards having a Victorian State side play in the NSW Cup. Northern Territory are keen for 2012. Future looks better but need to get a decent comp this year whilst there is still time.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Norths will be staying with Souths unless they are admitted as the CC Bears to the NRL in 2013. So in a way I hope the current setup closes in 2012.

BDGS

Bench
Norths will be staying with Souths unless they are admitted as the CC Bears to the NRL in 2013. So in a way I hope the current setup closes in 2012.

What if the Bears get the go ahead this year, could they possibly field a side in the NSW cup alone for season 2012, while Souths have their own team?

I would think that would be the best case scenario for all involved.

nqcowboy87

Bench
St George dont have a team - excess players will be split among Illawarra clubs.

thats so crap, the premierrship winning and possibly best club in the world is going to be having their excess players running around in the bush thats bs is what that is

BDGS

Bench
thats so crap, the premierrship winning and possibly best club in the world is going to be having their excess players running around in the bush thats bs is what that is

St. George hasn't won a first grade premiership since 1979.

Although if you were talking about the St. George ILLAWARRA Dragons, then you must wake up and see that team is a partnership between St. George and Illawarra and often the Illawarra side gets the worse treatment of that merger, although i do recongise the efforts from the club to try and make it more 50/50.

RL Tragic

Juniors
A great way to show everyone that it is a 50/50 joint venture then would be to have the Illawarra Steelers as their 2nd tier team and along the same lines if and when the Central Coast Bears enter the NRL it would be great to see the North Sydney Bears continue on in the NSW Cup as their 2nd tier team. As the game evolves we need to keep our traditions going where and when possible and this is a chance we should not miss.

franklin2323

Immortal
Maybe someone can confirm but about 3 years ago. I remember Bruce Gorton bailing out Steelers Leagues club. Maybe if they are broke then don't contribute financally just the quality junior base

Bruce Gordon did bail out Steelers. As a result, WIN Entertainment have a 24% stake in STGI (remaining is St George 50%, Steelers 26%). Steelers still finance the local Carlton League and their juniors, but are still running at a loss. So all this talk of a Steelers side in Reserve Grade just won't happen since Steelers Leagues has no money, let alone the rumoured $500k it takes to field a reggies team.

franklin2323

Immortal
That's what I thought. I just wasn't sure if they recovered or not. Seems not. Hopefully it works out & we get a Steelers team down the track. However for the time being the club needs to make a profit before that can be considered

Steelers big problem is that they aren't the preferred club for patrons to go to. In relation to the rest of the clubs in Wollongong, it's a bit out of the way. When I lived in the 'Gong, people preferred to go to the Master Builders, Collegiens, and Illawarra Leagues before even thinking of going to Steelers. They are also the only Leagues club I know to bump prices up dramatically on game day, so most people either go to Illawarra Leagues or to the Harp (the Ox has closed down, whether that is unfortunate is up for debate).

BDGS

Bench
A great way to show everyone that it is a 50/50 joint venture then would be to have the Illawarra Steelers as their 2nd tier team and along the same lines if and when the Central Coast Bears enter the NRL it would be great to see the North Sydney Bears continue on in the NSW Cup as their 2nd tier team. As the game evolves we need to keep our traditions going where and when possible and this is a chance we should not miss.

The Central Coast Bears Junior Clubs will be called the "Central Coast Cubs" this will be used in the NSW Cup, SG Ball and Harold Matthews, Because NYC has to be identical to the NRL they will be fielding the Central Coast Bears in that comp.