What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Gains and Losses and possible squad

getsmarty

Immortal
I can pass some comment for you on Latimore and Ah Mau. Ah Mau was very very good in the U20s. There were three terrific young props from that group of U20s (Matulino was playing back row at that time). Packer had the highest work rate and a bit of class to him, Upu Poching who I believe is also available and off contract for me was very good at hitting inside shoulders to get good play the balls, Leeson was the cannon ball. Not the traditional million miles an hour type cannon ball, more the Jerry Seuseu type cannon ball that would put an intense step of power in as he hit the defensive line. He's the type of prop that looks to break tackles through intensity.

Jeremy Latimore played a very staid consistent role for the Warriors. Straight up the guts. No errors, and very tidy in defence. Not very potent though. I think though there is potential there. I noted a couple of times when he got out of the middle third and ranged up on the fringe a bit more that he could time a short pass beautifully. Also a couple of times close to the line he would run extra wide runs off the dummy half and find gaps to cross the line. At the Warriors the tight forwards tend to play very close to the game plan. I think a little latitude for Latimore might open some of the skills that we only fleetingly saw at the Warriors.

Good luck with both. I genuinely like both players.

Thanks for the Feedback... looking forward to seeing them play.

P.S I hope you guys can beat Manly.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Remember the big hooha about Albett leaving the Cats last year and then a few days later the coach leaving. 12 months on and the Cats are premiers with a rookie coach. It can be done.

Breathingfire

Juniors
For the most part I agree, but I think we'll miss Boyd's physical presence at the back. He got us onto the front foot from tackle 1, even when there was a very good kick chase.

Hardly...He was always too busy arguing with the referee to be bothered to play the ball quickly.

Ritzley

Juniors
I didn't see much in Latimer yesterday. He wasn't "bad" as such but didn't seem to hit too hard in defence and went missing for large slabs of the game. I'm happy to be told otherwise.

Tanner Ave

Juniors
Watched most of the game, Latimore seems like a worker but didn't seem to have much grunt! their other prop was everywhere. latimore looks like a big unit though.
On yesterdays performance I am not sure that we will see much of him next year.

Minh

First Grade
Just watching the game yesterday, it is clear that great defense is still a must to win big games. Another is that you need to be a bit more adventurous in attack especially with second phase play even to the point of pushing a few passes dumping it back because defenses of the top teams are just so good these days you just need to come up with shock plays at times.

getsmarty

Immortal
Just watching the game yesterday, it is clear that great defense is still a must to win big games. Another is that you need to be a bit more adventurous in attack especially with second phase play even to the point of pushing a few passes dumping it back because defenses of the top teams are just so good these days you just need to come up with shock plays at times.

Agree. Hopefully we keep our defensive structures and Price introduces some new attacking options...we definitely need it...

Minh

First Grade
Agree. Hopefully we keep our defensive structures and Price introduces some new attacking options...we definitely need it...

I'm watching with interest what guys like Kyle Stanley and Cameron King can do, even Chase Stanley and Vidot. If these guys can run and attract attention from defenders you will see Jamie Soward come into his own given more space to move.

to_ddeath

Coach
Latimore wasn't too bad really yesterday, didn't see a whole heap of the game though when the Dogs kept making breaks up the middle, often he was the only defender there to make a covering tackle before things got out of hand... Could be a handy pickup, hard to tell based on seeing only 1 game...

T.

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
A lot of people will not agree with this side but its just my opinion

1.Moltzen
2.Morris
3.Goodwin
4.Cooper
5.Nightingale

6.Stanley
7.Soward

8.Hunt
9.King
10.Weyman
11.Scott
12.Creagh
13.Young [C]

14.Merrin
15.Ah Mau
16.De belin
17.Hornby{C}

A change in the halves is needed unless hornby can improve his kicking game out of sight, cause on the last tackle there is too much pressure on sowie to produce a decent kick to get us on the front foot. Sowie is experienced enough to control the team and direct the plays around the park.

Kyle needs to start in the halves, I dont care how injury proned he is. The kid has got the world at his feet. A great kicking game, speed and great passing game, he suits the role perfectly and he is not afraid to take the line on.

We saw in that 5 minute stint in the wcc the king has got great talent and eventhough rein has played more games, I think king is more creative out of dummy half which is an area we have lacked in for a while.

I believe that the two games we saw bronx play this year in first grade [Vs cowboys, storm] he showed that he is good enough for first grade and eventhough he has had countless number of injuries he still moves well and has speed so I think he can fill the centre spot permanetly

nrlnrl

First Grade
A lot of people will not agree with this side but its just my opinion

I believe that the two games we saw bronx play this year in first grade [Vs cowboys, storm] he showed that he is good enough for first grade and eventhough he has had countless number of injuries he still moves well and has speed so I think he can fill the centre spot permanetly

I just can't see him in the centres. If Kyle Stanely doesn't play there, I think Chase Stanley or even Daniel Vidot would be better in the centres. As others have said, Gasnier's defence was vastly under rated when he returned. The best defender of the 4 mentioned here would be Kyle Stanley.

big pat

Coach
Watched most of the game, Latimore seems like a worker but didn't seem to have much grunt! their other prop was everywhere. latimore looks like a big unit though.
On yesterdays performance I am not sure that we will see much of him next year.

latimore or less.

Minh

First Grade
Rangi Chase wins player of the season in the English Super league, I always thought he was a very good player definately had the "X Factor", it was bizarre that we let him go so easily back in the day but congratulations to him.

gypsy

Bench
Rangi Chase wins player of the season in the English Super league, I always thought he was a very good player definately had the "X Factor", it was bizarre that we let him go so easily back in the day but congratulations to him.

Definitely. He was probably helped by being in a weak Castleford team, so competition for votes wouldn't have really been there. It's a great achievement, especially since he missed a lot of footy with injury, and his pending court case etc.

I'm just wrapped Sam Tomkins didn't win it.

Minh

First Grade
Definitely. He was probably helped by being in a weak Castleford team, so competition for votes wouldn't have really been there. It's a great achievement, especially since he missed a lot of footy with injury, and his pending court case etc.

I'm just wrapped Sam Tomkins didn't win it.

Rangi also made the switch to play for England now instead of New Zealand a bit like Brad Thorn from Oz to New Zealand All Blacks.