What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAZF

First Grade
Our away jersey in 2011 was definitely worn twice, the heritage was probably worn 8 times and the home jersey worn the rest (guessing here)

In 2012 we called the heritage jersey our alternate jersey and didn't have a heritage one to wear. We did an Anzac Day alternative instead.

I don't see what the problem is here with a club deciding it made a genuine mistake. No one at the club seemed to like the 2011 alternate jersey so it was dumped. Well, when I say no one, I liked it - I just thought it needed to be worn with white shorts and the proportions needed to be slightly different. The original drawings actually looked good. It looks alright when people wear it in the stands - so those supporters that picked one up dirt cheap got a bit of a bargain imo.

I have more of an issue with clubs like Manly and the Wests Tigers having a seemingly endless supply of jerseys every season than clubs admitting they f**ked up and doing something positive about it that the fans actually appreciate.

I actually didn't mind the 2011 away jersey and, if the red and blue were switched (or even stayed as is but with white shorts), would not have attracted anywhere near the amount of derision that it got. The current away is worse imo (an unpopular opinion) because I can't get past the square cut-off vees that looked bad in 2002 when it was a shoehorn job and looks just as bad now but completely avoidable. Regardless, my argument stands as it did with the Knights, the idea of enforcing the rules is for clubs to make better decisions and to raise the standard long term.

I totally agree, with your second point though. The Tigers in particular are a lost cause in my book; I don't know how Wests fans can wear that crap.

I don't think the implication is at all there for anyone to have a dig at diabetes or suggest the cause isn't worthy.

No one is suggesting that, anyone who can't take someone not liking what they like or believe in is childish...and this is the perfect forum for them.

As a supporter of a club which supports countless different initiatives each year, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Wearing a fifth different club jersey for the season is probably getting over the top though.

The Dogs are heavily engaged with the community and causes without the shallow gesture of a special jersey, compromising their brand. I don't agree with their movie jerseys but they have only been one-offs once per year. Their brand, although not perfect, has been continuous for 15 years with minor changes and they are without peer in this category.

Don't get me started on the Storm's seven different strips in 2012 (8 if you count the trial heritage jersey) :p

Don't know what happened to the Storm. They've gone apeshit in the space of a year. If these rumours of them changing up next year are true I hope they go clean and simple like this (shameless plug):

NRL-MEL-1.gif

And try to avoid clashing elements like this

1571007080042000.jpg

hellteam

First Grade
That storm jersey is the absolute worst in the competition. Their home jerseys before it were quite decent, especially the one they wore during the cheating years

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That's what they should use permanently, with the pre-season one (white) as the alternate.

Maybe use the 2006-09 jersey as a heritage jersey, celebrating the cheating years?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

If they got rid of the orange tabs and actually tried to ingrate the sponsor then they'd have one of the best jerseys in the league.

No reason that they couldn't have the crown logo in white/silver between the lightning bolts.

Just like comparing the old Broncos WoW jersey to the current NRMA one, the integration makes such a difference.

beave

Coach
That's what they should use permanently, with the pre-season one (white) as the alternate.

Maybe use the 2006-09 jersey as a heritage jersey, celebrating the cheating years?

Well you blokes would know............ seeing as though you're still wearing the 2002 jersey design and all................:p:p:p

GAZF

First Grade
Thsi is their best one, much prefer more navy and less purple.

melbourne%20storm%20heritage%20jersey%202012.jpg

The Storm moving to primarily purple was a smart move as it completely sets them apart from any other team in the comp. The Rooster, Cowboys and currently the Titans have a mortgage on navy. The original design doesn't work with their current sponsors either, that type of V is not one you can cut off. Kind of reminds me of those 90's teamwear soccer jerseys you see local sides play in.

If they got rid of the orange tabs and actually tried to ingrate the sponsor then they'd have one of the best jerseys in the league.

No reason that they couldn't have the crown logo in white/silver between the lightning bolts.

Just like comparing the old Broncos WoW jersey to the current NRMA one, the integration makes such a difference.

Would look better but I disagree on it being great, the bolts just don't work with any sponsor, particularly one with a large vertical height the way that the shoulder and side panels meet is really awkward and made worse by having contrasting piping. The Storm need to go with something more understated that has longevity. The design I posted was based on the jersey PR posted but stylised as a yoke kind of like the Roosters and Dogs.

By the way, its surprising to see how much lighter the current purple, makes the original look murky.

_Johnsy

Referee
Not sure if this has been posted, flicked back a few pages and didn't see it.

Our jersey for this Mondays night Close the gap round.

Not a fan TBH, a bit too busy.

00026457-image.jpg

Fire

First Grade
Why didn't they wear it last week during the actual Close the Gap round?

I think because we played away from home. They will probably be able to incorporate and promote the whole idea of "Close the Gap" at a home game better (i.e., when they talk between the NYC and NRL games for about 45 mins, and also when they talk/do activities at half-time). It is also easier to hold functions for the cause for the major sponsors, etc, in the new corporate facilities at WIN Stadium. This is only my guess though.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well you blokes would know............ seeing as though you're still wearing the 2002 jersey design and all................:p:p:p
Our 2002 design was ditched at the end of 2006 actually, and then changed again at the start of 2011...
Why didn't they wear it last week during the actual Close the Gap round?
First home game since then.

JW

Coach
The idea of going back to the old Horsey was good, but the one they came up with was fairly lazy. It's just the new head on the old body. But of course I'll give it a while to grow on me first.

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
The Bronco on the right reminds me of Dean Young. Running fast and not looking at what's in front of him. We know how that ended for Deano...

Status
Not open for further replies.