What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Junior Reps Harold Matthews & SG Ball

Raiderdave

First Grade
Yep the Raiders Ball side seems to have snuck up on everyone. 5 wins and one loss. One of their best, Brenko Lee, wasn't playing today so his return should give them a boost.

Although having seen them last Saturday, I thought today they just didn't sync as well. Passes were just off the mark and they seemed to be half a second off the play sometimes. For one of the Eels tries it came from a Raider's error 5 metres from their line and I swear the entire crowd knew the Eels had the ball before anyone in the Raiders did. The try scorer dart the short distance to the line but I think he could have strolled and still made it.

The match against Penrith in a few weeks will be the big test.

one of their qualities Rocket... one of their " special" qualities
is they're gritty
they could have turned it up at 24-28 down ... & just written it off as a day when they weren't quite " on"

but no

they played it out

that game against Penrith in 2 weeks will be a cracker

KAB

Juniors
Went to the coast v souths match on Wednesday night.
Matts -What brutally physical match. Coast boys took it to the souths it was physical in the middle with forwards battle a great delight to see. At half time it was 4 - 0 to the coast, with injuries sneeking into the coast team. There are some stand performs in the coast forwards. Their backs need to pick up their performace.
Souths must have got rev up at half time, and work to some of the coast weakness and ran in some soft tries.

I will not talk about refs, your imagination will be correct about them.

Sg Ball - Souths where way to good for the Coast it became highly embrassing for them. They got flogged. Lucky there is no score board at Redfern because he would have been exhausted.

gronkathon

First Grade
Balmain did it easy against the Bears. The Ball squad rested a fair few key players as well.

Massive win for the Sharkies over the Panthers in SG Ball as well

Canberra thumped the magpies as well

magpie4ever

First Grade
Went to watch the Parra V CC HM game. Parramatta dominant (32-14), they are a talented unit but have discipline problems (shoulder chargers, niggling etc). Could be a chance in this comp if can get the disciplinary issues out of their game and put it all together on the day. Reckon they will play Balmain or Saints in the quarters.

KAB

Juniors
Went to watch the Parra V CC HM game. Parramatta dominant (32-14), they are a talented unit but have discipline problems (shoulder chargers, niggling etc). Could be a chance in this comp if can get the disciplinary issues out of their game and put it all together on the day. Reckon they will play Balmain or Saints in the quarters.

I agree with you the attitude of the Parra boys was evident, they wanted to win. Where as the coast boys had none. Coast know need to win the next 2 if they are to make the finals. Parra do have some talented players, but you are correct Magpie4ever, not enough displine. I think they 1 or 2 players binned last week aswell. For the coast boys attitude and smart footy will win the next games. Time will tell. ;-)

I will ask you did any player get penalised for shoulder charges (i saw 4 or 5) :sarcasm:.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I agree with you the attitude of the Parra boys was evident, they wanted to win. Where as the coast boys had none. Coast know need to win the next 2 if they are to make the finals. Parra do have some talented players, but you are correct Magpie4ever, not enough displine. I think they 1 or 2 players binned last week aswell. For the coast boys attitude and smart footy will win the next games. Time will tell. ;-)

I will ask you did any player get penalised for shoulder charges (i saw 4 or 5) :sarcasm:.

The referee indicated atleast 3 or 4 times the penalty was for a shoulder charge (pointed to his shoulder and then moved it); possibliy could have been a few more where the shoulder hit well before the arms came into play.

Let me say I'm not a fan of the shoulder charge even at a senior level, believe union got it right 25 years ago when they banned it.

I believe RaiderDave indicated there might have been some sinbins during the mid-week game. Definitely need to work on their discipline as they are definitely a top side when they just play the game.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Good luck to the Central Coast boys for their next 2 games (they will need to be up next week against Newcastle). Thought Luke Sharpe added spark to their backline when he went to fullback, scored a top try.

KAB

Juniors
Good luck to the Central Coast boys for their next 2 games (they will need to be up next week against Newcastle). Thought Luke Sharpe added spark to their backline when he went to fullback, scored a top try.

This is true, I hope they leave him at fullback. He is more effective from the back. He is more direct in his run and has terrific turn of speed.
Your right they need to be up for Newcastle they can not afford to lose from now on. Last 2 games are home I hope it turns out postive for them.;-)

magpie4ever

First Grade
Canterbury scored an upset win (i believe) over St George, this has thrown positions in the 8 wide-open.

Last edited:

Scorcher

Juniors
bulldogs over saints in harolds
does anyone know about sg ball?

Doggies 34-12

Top 8 in SG IMO will now be
Balmain, Souths, Manly, Canberra, Penrith, Cronulla, Chooks and either the Doggies or Eels.

The Roosters have Wests and Noths and should win both.
The Doggies have Norths and Penrith and need to win both.
The Eels have WA and Norths and should win both. I think Parra will end up with a better % than the Dogs so the Dogs will miss out unless they win both games.

richies

Juniors
thanks scorcher

Im assuming guston has made a big impact since coming back
might check out a game this week

Tucantango

Juniors
thanks scorcher

Im assuming guston has made a big impact since coming back
might check out a game this week

Not so much Guston as the team selection. The Doggies SGB team has been pervaded with infighting. As most would be aware there are few 17 year olds playing this year, however the mix with the 18 year olds has been like water and oil!

For mine the 18's group have not given the 17's enough respect for the ability they bring to the team. This has led to the 18's being overly selfish (especially at the beginning of the season).

Yesterday it was the 17's who brought the A game to the field, especially through their forwards Kamire, Montgomery and Iuta who all had awesome games. Mamary went well too. Feeney distributed very well which meant the backs got some quality ball for the first time in ages!

The Doggies are still making a lot of silly mistakes and a quality team would have buried them for it! Unless they smash the Bears by a cricket score and keep Penrith to respectable score (if they lose) they won't make the eight IMO.

BTW anyone got an opinion on the Dragon forward Tuima. This boy goes hard all game! He was a shining star in a losing team!

Regards,
Tuc

magpie4ever

First Grade
Not so much Guston as the team selection. The Doggies SGB team has been pervaded with infighting. As most would be aware there are few 17 year olds playing this year, however the mix with the 18 year olds has been like water and oil!

For mine the 18's group have not given the 17's enough respect for the ability they bring to the team. This has led to the 18's being overly selfish (especially at the beginning of the season).

Yesterday it was the 17's who brought the A game to the field, especially through their forwards Kamire, Montgomery and Iuta who all had awesome games. Mamary went well too. Feeney distributed very well which meant the backs got some quality ball for the first time in ages!

The Doggies are still making a lot of silly mistakes and a quality team would have buried them for it! Unless they smash the Bears by a cricket score and keep Penrith to respectable score (if they lose) they won't make the eight IMO.

BTW anyone got an opinion on the Dragon forward Tuima. This boy goes hard all game! He was a shining star in a losing team!

Regards,
Tuc

Hey Mr Newbie,

Long time no typing.:lol:

Are you able to give us a rundown of your opinion of the HM's final eight make up and who's a chance and who is not to take out the title. :cool:

Regards,

gronkathon

First Grade
Luke Brooks may miss the remainder of the Balmain Junior Reps season through injury, that deals a massive blow to the Tigers chances

Scorcher

Juniors
Luke Brooks may miss the remainder of the Balmain Junior Reps season through injury, that deals a massive blow to the Tigers chances

I don't agree that is a massive blow to their chances, while mark Daoud is no Luke Brooks he goes pretty good as does Alex Zarounis. My preference would be Moses to 7 and Zarounis to 6.

Luke has only played 3 full games and I believe he controlled those games really well but there is still plenty of fire power there and they will take some stopping.

Tucantango

Juniors
Hey Mr Newbie,

Long time no typing.:lol:

Are you able to give us a rundown of your opinion of the HM's final eight make up and who's a chance and who is not to take out the title. :cool:

Regards,

M4E,

Sorry for the delay mate, I have been quite busy at work! Anyway an answer to your question.

My prediction for the HMC is a Souths v Penrith Grand Final which for me would be to close to call. Of course there are other smokeys out there and any team is beatable on the day however these two teams are electric!

With regard to the others I would still throw in Parra and Saints as they have both shown to be a more than capable sides on their day. IMO they are world beaters one game, and very complacent the next (in other words they have not proven to be consistent).

Balmain will obviously be there in the top eight but they will be put to the sword very early in the finals series. For mine they have had the easiest run by far this year and there only real challenge was the Dragons and they lost. They wont be battle hardened and their final two round opponents has only cemented my opinion on this issue.:?

You can probably forget the Bulldogs for reasons I have previously stated in this thread. In saying that they did have a win against the Dragons however when the Dragons decided to play footy the Doggies were unable to stop them. Put it this way, if the Doggies don't beat Penrith they might well be out of the eight, and the Magpies will be in!:shock:

How about this for a prediction. The Magpies to go close to making the final if they make the eight. Firstly, if the Doggies lose to Penrith, or the Magpies rack up a bigger cricket score then the Doggies against their respective games against the Bears this week and the next, the Magpies will go through. As it stands the Magpies have had the hardest run this year and have played most of the best teams. When they have played these teams they have lossed narrowly, won, and drawn. Discounting their spanking againt Penrith the other week this is not bad form going into the finals and therefore the Magpies are my DARK HORSE to make the semi-finals or Grand Final.

With respect to Manly and the Knights ... ... Enough said already!

Regards,
Tuc.
:cool:

Last edited:

KAB

Juniors
Today is do or die for the Coast and Knights boys, Knights probably need a win to make the 8, while the Coasties need 2 wins. And other games go thier way. I cant wait to see what unfolds.
It busy time for the Newcastle / Central Coast. Up at Nelson Bay today Central Coast / Newcastle / Hunter region play for the Knights Cup which is a massive area. Under 13 to 15's, gala day.
Good luck to all others and go the coast boys today. This could go to the wire.