What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Junior Reps Harold Matthews & SG Ball

KAB

Juniors
Would love some updates from the Raiders games against Penrith if possible.
Matts - 14 all

BAll Panthers 36 - raiders 28

I went down to the Knights v Coast match well the coast boys did show today. The only thing they was the toss.
Matts where outgunnned and attacked their edges. It was 14 - 12 at after time. 2 quick tries. to the Matts knights team, they where without a number of big players due to suspension and injury. They played smart footy. 38 - 18

Well Ball Coast team where punching above their weight, they got flogged. 56-6

magpie4ever

First Grade
M4E,

Sorry for the delay mate, I have been quite busy at work! Anyway an answer to your question.

My prediction for the HMC is a Souths v Penrith Grand Final which for me would be to close to call. Of course there are other smokeys out there and any team is beatable on the day however these two teams are electric!

With regard to the others I would still throw in Parra and Saints as they have both shown to be a more than capable sides on their day. IMO they are world beaters one game, and very complacent the next (in other words they have not proven to be consistent).

Balmain will obviously be there in the top eight but they will be put to the sword very early in the finals series. For mine they have had the easiest run by far this year and there only real challenge was the Dragons and they lost. They wont be battle hardened and their final two round opponents has only cemented my opinion on this issue.

You can probably forget the Bulldogs for reasons I have previously stated in this thread. In saying that they did have a win against the Dragons however when the Dragons decided to play footy the Doggies were unable to stop them. Put it this way, if the Doggies don't beat Penrith they might well be out of the eight, and the Magpies will be in!

How about this for a prediction. The Magpies to go close to making the final if they make the eight. Firstly, if the Doggies lose to Penrith, or the Magpies rack up a bigger cricket score then the Doggies against their respective games against the Bears this week and the next, the Magpies will go through. As it stands the Magpies have had the hardest run this year and have played most of the best teams. When they have played these teams they have lossed narrowly, won, and drawn. Discounting their spanking againt Penrith the other week this is not bad form going into the finals and therefore the Magpies are my DARK HORSE to make the semi-finals or Grand Final.

With respect to Manly and the Knights ... ... Enough said already!

Regards,
Tuc.

Hey Buddy,

Busy at work - solicitor??? What, counting your money or adjusting your 15 minute charge clock for the end of daylight saving. :crazy:

Don't disagree with what you have stated, but I believe there is not a lot between 6 teams, but I will put forward the following: I believe the top 4 will remain the same unless there is a major upset in the final round.

1: Souths 18
2: Penrith 17
3: Balmain 16
4: Parramatta 15

The bottom of the eight will depend on the result of the Newcastle v St George game.

I suggest the 5-8 will be:

5: Newcastle 14
6: Wests 13
7: Saints 12
8: Bulldogs 11 or Central Coast on 10

Therefore the quarters will be:

Souths v Bulldogs: CC - Souths to wiln
Penrith v Saints - favour Penrith but only just
Balmain v Wests - I believe you are correct, I'm not denigrating the tiger lads but I feel they have had the easy run and will be found out -Wests for me.
Parramatta v Newcastle - this game would be worthy of a comp final. I have seen a number of the Parra games and I have noticed their coach has given all 27-28 players in the squad plenty of game time. The only time, I believe he ran his best 17 on was against WSA and they were very dominating that night; in saying that, Newcastle blitzed WSA as well. As I have some interest in a certain player in the Parra squad:cool:, I will go for a Parra win. Whoever wins this game, barring injuries, I believe will beat the Bunnies in a hard fought semi.

The other semi Penrith v Wests (what a game, believe Wests rested at least 5 players when they previously played) - who knows???:?

Prediction (with no confidence) - Final: Parramatta v Wests. Reckon you would get big odds if you could get on.;-)

Regards,

PS: noticed on green and gold they are discussing U16's selections:lol: again, pity I got a lifer.

Last edited:

Scorcher

Juniors
M4E,

Balmain will obviously be there in the top eight but they will be put to the sword very early in the finals series. For mine they have had the easiest run by far this year and there only real challenge was the Dragons and they lost. They wont be battle hardened and their final two round opponents has only cemented my opinion on this issue.:?

Regards,
Tuc.
:cool:

Your rating on Balmain comes after losing to St George, you obviously weren't at the game because Balmain played all over them and it was just a couple of mistakes late in the game that allowed Saints to get back into the game. The last try on the bell to win the game was the biggest double movement that you will ever see. I think you have under estimated them brother.

Tucantango

Juniors
Your rating on Balmain comes after losing to St George, you obviously weren't at the game because Balmain played all over them and it was just a couple of mistakes late in the game that allowed Saints to get back into the game. The last try on the bell to win the game was the biggest double movement that you will ever see. I think you have under estimated them brother.

Scorcher,

Perhaps you need to read the whole quote! In particular the part where I state "the easiest run", which they have!

However let's talk about the game against the Dragons. I was there and yes they played the better footy, which goes exactly to my point, the Tigers couldn't put them away!

And please don't be making excuses about the Tigers making mistakes and letting the Dragon back into the game, because I'll run the same line at you! They're junior reps and mistakes pervade this level of football.

I stand by my comments based upon what I have seen!

Regards,
Tuc

Scorcher

Juniors
Scorcher,

However let's talk about the game against the Dragons. I was there and yes they played the better footy, which goes exactly to my point, the Tigers couldn't put them away!

And please don't be making excuses about the Tigers making mistakes and letting the Dragon back into the game, because I'll run the same line at you! They're junior reps and mistakes pervade this level of football.

I stand by my comments based upon what I have seen!

Regards,
Tuc

Tuc,
I am sure you think you know what you are talking about but having an easy run doesn't mean you aren't capable of performing. All teams make mistakes and sometimes refereeing also has an affect on results. I have watched all of Balmain's Matts games and your asessment of them is completely wrong and this will be confirmed after they win their fist Semi.[-X[-X

KAB

Juniors
Tuc,
I am sure you think you know what you are talking about but having an easy run doesn't mean you aren't capable of performing. All teams make mistakes and sometimes refereeing also has an affect on results. I have watched all of Balmain's Matts games and your asessment of them is completely wrong and this will be confirmed after they win their fist Semi.[-X[-X

From what I have seen this season. West are the deal. Big and strong / creative. Tigers have got good quailities, good direction and halves. Also big forwards. They may have the edge.

Magpie4ever suggested that the Central Coast on (10 points if they beat the Raiders next week) might be in the eight over the dogs on 11, if they get beat. Hows that work?

Also, lets look at the draw, Dragons, Souths, Tigers, Parra, Manly, West and Dogs. Have Had the bye in the draw. When you give the other teams 2 points for the bye. It does make for a slightly different 8. I can not see how this fair for other clubs. If they have to play all 9 rounds, and some have a tougher draw. Penny Panthers have done well, to be at the top of the table. Some times the bye can work for teams and others it doesnt. In the dogs situation after they played the Coast, they got the finals series back on track. Personally I dont feel the bye is good for the comp, unless all teams have the bye. Any body with any thoughts?

Last edited:

DummyHalfScoot

Juniors
Love the predictions boys and the banter.

FYI the top 8 this year is the same as the NRL and AFL systems so the top 4 play each other and the bottom 4 play each other. This will then identify the teams high in the table courtesy of a soft draw and the stronger teams in the bottom half will come through in the second week.

Souths and Penrith deserve to be favourites but Wests if they can string a couple of strong games together can be the smokey. Balmain are relying on a couple of very good players which is tough when it comes to the business end of the season.

Scorcher

Juniors
Love the predictions boys and the banter.

FYI the top 8 this year is the same as the NRL and AFL systems so the top 4 play each other and the bottom 4 play each other. This will then identify the teams high in the table courtesy of a soft draw and the stronger teams in the bottom half will come through in the second week.

Souths and Penrith deserve to be favourites but Wests if they can string a couple of strong games together can be the smokey. Balmain are relying on a couple of very good players which is tough when it comes to the business end of the season.

Are you 100% on the top 4 situation, I was under the impression it was only a 3 week semi final draw.

magpie4ever

First Grade
From what I have seen this season. West are the deal. Big and strong / creative. Tigers have got good quailities, good direction and halves. Also big forwards. They may have the edge.

Magpie4ever suggested that the Central Coast on (10 points if they beat the Raiders next week) might be in the eight over the dogs on 11, if they get beat. Hows that work?

Also, lets look at the draw, Dragons, Souths, Tigers, Parra, Manly, West and Dogs. Have Had the bye in the draw. When you give the other teams 2 points for the bye. It does make for a slightly different 8. I can not see how this fair for other clubs. If they have to play all 9 rounds, and some have a tougher draw. Penny Panthers have done well, to be at the top of the table. Some times the bye can work for teams and others it doesnt. In the dogs situation after they played the Coast, they got the finals series back on track. Personally I dont feel the bye is good for the comp, unless all teams have the bye. Any body with any thoughts?

Hey KAB,

I based that CC could still make the 8, if Norths beat Canterbury today and Penrith beat Canterbury next week; but the dogs won today so go to 11 points. Therefore the season is over for CC.

The only change that can occur to the 8 now is , if Manly beats Balmain and Canterbury loses to Penrith. Places in the 8 can change depending on results of a number of games.

I, also, was under the belief that it was a 3 week final series (quarters, semis, final) all under the 'sudden death' banner (could be wriong).

Regards,

CC showed glimpses of talent throughout the comp and did have a hard draw. The draw seemed strange, there was no logic to who got the bye.
As there are 15 teams in the comp that runs for 9 weeks there is a need for a bye but surely the comp should be divided into two groups (one with 8, one with 7) run over 7 weeks - one group gets a bye in their 7 games, one doesn't. This would shorten the comp by 2 weeks and allow the players to return to their club sides for the 1st game of the season. As it stands, if a team goes all the way to the HM final then the interstate final the players might not be allowed to play for their club sides until around round 3 or 4.

KAB

Juniors
Hey KAB,

I based that CC could still make the 8, if Norths beat Canterbury today and Penrith beat Canterbury next week; but the dogs won today so go to 11 points. Therefore the season is over for CC.

The only change that can occur to the 8 now is , if Manly beats Balmain and Canterbury loses to Penrith. Places in the 8 can change depending on results of a number of games.

I, also, was under the belief that it was a 3 week final series (quarters, semis, final) all under the 'sudden death' banner (could be wriong).

Regards,

CC showed glimpses of talent throughout the comp and did have a hard draw. The draw seemed strange, there was no logic to who got the bye.
As there are 15 teams in the comp that runs for 9 weeks there is a need for a bye but surely the comp should be divided into two groups (one with 8, one with 7) run over 7 weeks - one group gets a bye in their 7 games, one doesn't. This would shorten the comp by 2 weeks and allow the players to return to their club sides for the 1st game of the season. As it stands, if a team goes all the way to the HM final then the interstate final the players might not be allowed to play for their club sides until around round 3 or 4.

Thanks magpies4ever, Yeah the finals system is a 3 week final series.
CC boys are a bit down. But as you now they can look for excuses in footy, but you really need to turn up and play. I thought the team was a bit strange the 7 had a injury, when there was an injury free half on the bench and Bogle was a late inclusion, he had not trained since round 2 when sustaining a bad injury to his leg. Newcastle scored 3 or 4 tries down that side. I wonder if both will play this week?? I'm spectator with an interest.

Sharpey had another good game from the back scored another beauty of try. He also saved a couple. He shows alot promise.
All I hope is the boys can turn up next Saturday and give Canberra a run. They look like they are getting their act together.

magpie4ever

First Grade
The the reason for the bye is whatever team plays WA in SGB has the bye in HM. Therefore there is no solution unless an additional team enters the HM comp.

Last edited:

possum

Any one got a team list for possible Under 16's SO and also the 18's
Cheers

Last edited:

DummyHalfScoot

Juniors
The final series is the same as the NRL final series running over 4 weekends. It is a better systems and there was too many issues with the sudden death system used last year especially when team 1 Wests were knocked out week 1 in SG Ball.

Semi final dates are as follows:
Qualifying Finals – 14
th April 2012
Semi Finals – 21st April 2012
Preliminary Finals – 28th April 2012
GRAND FINAL – 5th May 2012

NSW V QRL Final – 12th May 2012

Also to be confirmed week 2 will tie in with the 20's Origin clash scheduled for Centrebet Stadium at Penrith.

magpie4ever

First Grade
The final series is the same as the NRL final series running over 4 weekends. It is a better systems and there was too many issues with the sudden death system used last year especially when team 1 Wests were knocked out week 1 in SG Ball.

Semi final dates are as follows:

Qualifying Finals – 14
th April 2012
Semi Finals – 21st April 2012
Preliminary Finals – 28th April 2012
GRAND FINAL – 5th May 2012
NSW V QRL Final – 12th May 2012

Also to be confirmed week 2 will tie in with the 20's Origin clash scheduled for Centrebet Stadium at Penrith.

Ok, seems a fairer system (top 4 get a second shot).

If there are no major upsets in round 9; should see Souths v Parramatta and Penrith v Balmain. The results of these games will answer a few questions as none have met in the preliminary rounds.

Regards,

isaiah

Bench
so in sg ball, balmain and manly are unbeaten but play each other this weekend, souths and penrith have both just lost one game, then canberra are 5th.

who have been the good players for each team?

gronkathon

First Grade
Souths have apparently secured the Harold Matts Minor Premiership tonight
Balmain knocked Manly out of the fight to get into the 8 so the 8 is locked down with only positions to decide

Balmain seemed to have hit the go switch after half time and are leading the Sea Eagle in SG Ball 36 - 10 so I would say that is the minor premiership handled

Scorcher

Juniors
Here Comes the Tigers wearing Black and Gold!!

Congratulations to the SG Ball squad on taking out the 2012 Minor Premiership with a great 36-16 win over the Sea Eagles at Brookvale.

Congratulations to the HM Boys on making the top 4 after KOing Manly out of the 8.

Scorcher

Juniors
so in sg ball, balmain and manly are unbeaten but play each other this weekend, souths and penrith have both just lost one game, then canberra are 5th.

who have been the good players for each team?

Balmain, Mitchell Moses 6, Mania Cherrington 9, Mason Farrel 1, Daniel Ravkin 12, Andrew Kazzi 13 and the rest of the team aren't too far behind these kids.

Latest posts