What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Memberships

Billythekid

First Grade
Pretty average to bad numbers for the broncos imo. They should do so much better, the fact that any one Sydney club can match them is pretty bad.

thommo4pm

Coach
Dragons just hit 13000. Were at 13,672 a week ago last year.

The drama with Wollongong isn't helping us here.....further speculation today that we might not play a game at all in Wollongong this year apart from tomorrow night's trial.

The drama with Wollongong isn't helping us here.....further speculation today that we might not play a game at all in Wollongong this year apart from tomorrow night's trial.

Someone needs to foot the bill in the short term to ensure that contractor has the labour and resources to get the job done in time. Worry about who's responsibility it is during the legal mumbo jumbo thatll go on afterwards

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Pretty average to bad numbers for the broncos imo. They should do so much better, the fact that any one Sydney club can match them is pretty bad.

Agree 100%. They should be in the 30k range by now. They are making the right noises about their aims, but with the resources at their disposal they should be saturating SEQ with a marketing campaign

j5o6hn

Juniors
Do any of the NRL clubs actively recruit members in Non NRL city's I know South do here in Perth I,m a Souths member,St George and North Qld play here soon in a trial and the Souths game in March.
Not sure how many Souths have here

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Just seen the members add on channel 9. So fair play they are stepping up now.

But heres an idea. 10k is petty cash for the clubs, really does that make any difference to the clubs finances? i say no. instead for each club that wins its challenge, put their members in a draw to win 10k and watch the turnstiles move.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Interesting the Qld Reds seem to be on track for 30k memberships for 2012, they only need 4,411 to make it. They are also running a program where every membership sold sees cash going back to junior rugby clubs.

My point is this highlights just how hopeless the broncos numbers are. Multiple premierships and always competitive in the most popular code in the state and they can scrape together 13k with a month to kickoff. rubbish.

AuDragon

Juniors
Reds games are only shown on pay TV, while most Broncos games are free to air, and on Friday's nights on top of it...

I for one, didn't renew my membership last year, because my kid's footy games were on Friday night as well.
I know for a fact that many people don't become members because they can watch at least 80% of the Broncos games from the sofa for free!

It's hard to compete with FTA TV for bums on seats...

docbrown

Coach
Reds games are only shown on pay TV, while most Broncos games are free to air, and on Friday's nights on top of it...

I for one, didn't renew my membership last year, because my kid's footy games were on Friday night as well.
I know for a fact that many people don't become members because they can watch at least 80% of the Broncos games from the sofa for free!

It's hard to compete with FTA TV for bums on seats...

The number of Friday night games would definitely be affecting their crowds.

AuDragon

Juniors
The number of Friday night games would definitely be affecting their crowds.
Not only the crowds, but mostly the ticketed memberships!

How many people would pay several hundred dollars to get a ticketed membership, when they can comfortably watch the games on the plasma or LCD at home for free?

Big Pete

Referee
Yep, that's a big part of the problem.

The package is also pretty ordinary. There isn't enough incentive to become a member away from going to the games.

some11

Referee
How many people would pay several hundred dollars to get a ticketed membership, when they can comfortably watch the games on the plasma or LCD at home for free?

This is the attitude that makes NRL crowds look shit.

I'll be a ticketed member every year until I die, I don't care how much it costs I like seeing my team live.

I am getting sick of Friday nights though, and yes the Broncos should be doing heaps better, I don't understand why they aren't.

Last edited:

AuDragon

Juniors
This is the attitude that makes NRL crowds look shit.

I'll be a ticketed member every year until I die, I don't care how much it costs I like seeing my team live.

I am getting sick of Friday nights though, and yes the Broncos should be doing heaps better, I don't understand why they aren't.
My son and I have memberships again this year. I only didn't do it last year because I couldn't attend the games due to my son's footy.

But a lot of people who would otherwise get a membership, won't; because they can see the games live on FTA.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Interesting the Qld Reds seem to be on track for 30k memberships for 2012, they only need 4,411 to make it. They are also running a program where every membership sold sees cash going back to junior rugby clubs.

My point is this highlights just how hopeless the broncos numbers are. Multiple premierships and always competitive in the most popular code in the state and they can scrape together 13k with a month to kickoff. rubbish.

And I bet the Broncos still out do them for crowds in 2012

we all know in the past only about a third of broncos fans are members
thats nearing 50% now

while that 25K atm .. & maybe 30K ....is about 95 % of reds fans all accounted for
while it looks impressive
all it is a differenet ratio of your total fan base as members

as for Friday nights n Broncos games
a fixed draw in 2013 will see their games spread out across the 4 playing days more evenly.

& a 2nd Brisbane side in 2015 will help here too

WAPAU

Juniors
Reds are peaking membership wise. They will need another very good season to retain 30 thousand members.

In qld there are about 5 - 10 thousand 'casual' fans who will back whatever club is successful regardless of code. You saw it with the reds in the mid 90's, then the broncos in the late 90's then the lions when they were on their streak. Broncos had in the mid 2000's and now they are back with the reds.

New reds CEO is an AFL man and is growing an afl style membership culture with reds fans. While I can't stand the game of AFL, they certainly know how to run a footy team.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Reds are peaking membership wise. They will need another very good season to retain 30 thousand members.

In qld there are about 5 - 10 thousand 'casual' fans who will back whatever club is successful regardless of code. You saw it with the reds in the mid 90's, then the broncos in the late 90's then the lions when they were on their streak. Broncos had in the mid 2000's and now they are back with the reds.

New reds CEO is an AFL man and is growing an afl style membership culture with reds fans. While I can't stand the game of AFL, they certainly know how to run a footy team.

The broncos in the mid to late 90's early 2000's had their worst crowds ever.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Utterly bizarre that whoever's in marketing or memberships at the Broncos still has a job IMO - they have direct contact via Facebook (200,000+) and Twitter (13,000+)... their conversion rates are atrocious compared to Sydney clubs.

(I'm not suggesting social media fans should convert directly to memberships but that may fans to that little members seems bizarre).

beave

Coach

I hate to be 'that' guy but that bandwagon phenomena is a Brissy/SEQLD attitude not a 'QLD'attitue. League is king up here in NQ/CQ, no one gives a flying f**k about the other 3 codes and how their travelling. You would be surprised but people up here feel pretth isolated from SEQLD and their sporting teams. QLD in origin is a different beast, though the 40% odd percent of the squad being from up here originally or play for the Cowbs probably helps in the people embracing it but even before the cowboys people up here embraced origin because there has always been a strong NQ contingent sice it started.

The Broncos really need to pull their fingers out, they should be at 20k memberships as a baseline minimum, there's 2 mil people down there FFS!

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Utterly bizarre that whoever's in marketing or memberships at the Broncos still has a job IMO - they have direct contact via Facebook (200,000+) and Twitter (13,000+)... their conversion rates are atrocious compared to Sydney clubs.

(I'm not suggesting social media fans should convert directly to memberships but that may fans to that little members seems bizarre).

No but it does indicate how poorly they've addressed the issue. Surveys have put the Broncos as the number one club of any sport in Australia. They have 2,000,000 in their area. They should be getting memberships in excess of 35,000-40,000

Latest posts