What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Memberships

Brutus

Referee
There's an article today saying the QLD Reds are expecting to build on their 26,000 membership base this year, with a target of 35,000. They believe they will crack this number and the entire lower bowl of Suncorp Stadium will be virtually sold out for all of their games.

I cannot understand how a team that nobody gave a stuff about a couple of years ago can all of a sudden have that many members. I know they won the comp, but the Broncos also had a successful season last year, but their numbers are probably lower than that.

What is going on in Brisbane. Do the Broncos need to kidnap the Reds' marketing manager or something.

M2D2

Bench
Considering how bad the Brisbane Broncos membership prices are. Im not shocked by that in the slightest and it doesnt help that third man thaiday is the figurehead for the club now.

big country

Juniors
I find it amazing that people still equate club membership and crowd numbers with popularity. I am, and so too are all my family, massive Bronco fans. I have an 80inch plasma with surround sound, cinema seating, fully stocked bar in the next room and my own toilet. I pay over $100 a month for foxtel and have a tight budget. Why the hell would i pay to go to a game? I see more, hear more, drink more, am more comfortable, pee in my own toilet and can watch a movie when the game's finished. Does that mean i like my club any less that the guy who paid for a membership so he can get a free cap???? Teams might have 10K, 20k, or 50k go to the game and they might have 20k members. But there are a couple of million people watching on TV. Whats the real measure of popularity??

your just an armchair fan - you stay at home instead cos you're addicted to doing some fast action, self administered shoom shumming to movie like "my wild bronco cowboys" straight after the games finished on TV, no? :cool:

Gibbo

Juniors
Hi everyone

Without trawling through all 60-odd pages of this thread does anyone have a link to the total number of memberships sold for each club for 2012?

All I can find on the NRL site is the numbers for 'battle of the Beaches etc' rather than total

Also looking for 2011 total membership numbers if someone has a link it would be much appreciated

some11

Referee
Considering how bad the Brisbane Broncos membership prices are. Im not shocked by that in the slightest and it doesnt help that third man thaiday is the figurehead for the club now.

Reds membership prices are about the same as Broncos and they only have 8 home games.

Raiderdave

First Grade
There's an article today saying the QLD Reds are expecting to build on their 26,000 membership base this year, with a target of 35,000. They believe they will crack this number and the entire lower bowl of Suncorp Stadium will be virtually sold out for all of their games.

I cannot understand how a team that nobody gave a stuff about a couple of years ago can all of a sudden have that many members. I know they won the comp, but the Broncos also had a successful season last year, but their numbers are probably lower than that.

What is going on in Brisbane. Do the Broncos need to kidnap the Reds' marketing manager or something.

thats just it brutus
they're a fad ... a bit .. "in"

it won't last
as had been proven by all super rugby franchises
they all have their " golden ages "

they usually only last a few years , as will this one.... union is a woeful product & you can't polish a turd ............
;-)

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Lets remeber AFL & union are rarely called to account by the media. I would not believe reds have that many members all of a sudden. Union does not have a membership culture like league, and it is relatively new.

busterc

Juniors
You should still buy a non-ticketed membership to support the club.

Why???? I like watching football, i like watching my team play, I support my team by paying for foxtel and adding to TV audience figures for ratings which brings in more TV support and increases the upcoming TV deal of which my club gets a cut. If you want to be a bit more tribal about your sport then be my guest and buy a membership. But this is 2012 clubs don't rely on memberships for survival like they did in 1970. I just like sport and happen to follow one team. I'm just saying membership numbers have no relationship to the popularity of a team. And the QLD Reds might get large membership numbers but they are a different demographic with higher disposable income so they don't have to save up to buy a membership( yes thats a generalisation....but a fairly accurate one.) Teams like St George, Parra, Bulldogs will always pull good membership numbers also because they are older clubs with generational support. Newer clubs have to win over new members so of course they will have lower numbers. But i bet that the Warriors and Cowboys have close to if not more overall support than those traditional clubs due to increased regional support but from people that live to far away to buy a membership.

WAPAU

Juniors
Reds memberships wouldn't all be ticketed either. I suspect they would only have 20 thousand ticketed.

To better explain my earlier point - lots of sydney-expat fans in brisbane wouldn't have got to see their team play during superleage and this would have had some effect on crowd figures.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Reds memberships wouldn't all be ticketed either. I suspect they would only have 20 thousand ticketed.

To better explain my earlier point - lots of sydney-expat fans in brisbane wouldn't have got to see their team play during superleage and this would have had some effect on crowd figures.

They (reds) were talking about averaging 40k. I would be very surprised if they did and it would take a mammoth effort.

If the Broncos won another premiership their memberships would skyrocket judgeing on the Reds effort after a title

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

The Broncos missed out on playing ARL teams for 1 season only in 1997.

dgsfan

Juniors
Why???? I like watching football, i like watching my team play, I support my team by paying for foxtel and adding to TV audience figures for ratings

Do you have a ratings box? If not then you absolutely are not counted in the television ratings. They don't work that way.

Lambretta

First Grade
Roosters on 111 memberships in the battle, the only team to break three figures as yet.

Not sure what other people are thinking but those numbers seem rather paltry.

Where are the totals up to for the whole pre season?

thommo4pm

Coach
Roosters on 111 memberships in the battle, the only team to break three figures as yet.

Not sure what other people are thinking but those numbers seem rather paltry.

Where are the totals up to for the whole pre season?

The only team in your group to crack 100.
Don't think the figures have been updated today, but yes I agree the numbers are terrible.....the promotion from the NRL for this season has been poor in my opinion.

busterc

Juniors
Do you have a ratings box? If not then you absolutely are not counted in the television ratings. They don't work that way.

Actually pay TV, because it is delivered to paying customers via set top boxes do work like that. And considering i once had a ratings box i do know how they work. But my actual point is just because i like a sporting team dosnt mean i have to be a member to support them. Same as if i liked a political party and will vote for them dosnt mean i have to sign up as a party member to like them just as much. I am a member of a local sporting club however because they need members to survive and provide services to the community.

Latest posts