What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Memberships

adamkungl

Immortal
I've always thought that the Bears would be a boost for surrounding club averages.
Manly won't lose any fans to their bitter rivals, they never took the north shore for their own.
Knights are too far away for much fan spillover, but it could certainly help to add a local derby into the mix.
Other Sydney clubs will benifit from the thousands of Bears fans attending away games.

firechild

First Grade
The thing is though, the Bears are still in recent memory and the old Bears fans still hate Manly. It will be another generation before the people of the North Shore would consider taking up Manly as an option.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The vast majority of Knights home attendee fans are from Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Lower Hunter and Port Stephens. Very few would travel from the Central Coast.

Again, I say this as a Knights fan. The Bears will get their crowds from the Coast and a minority of travelling Sydney based Bears fans who likely now don't go to any games. The idea that they will affect other club's averages is just nonsense and I say this as a Knights supporter.
Sounds to me like we're all in agreeance :lol:

I know the Central Coast can sustain a team and what you've just said is the point I was kind of trying to make - i.e. to dissuade people who believe the argument that there's no room for a team south of Newcastle and north of the Hawkesbury.

docbrown

Coach
Sounds to me like we're all in agreeance :lol:

I know the Central Coast can sustain a team and what you've just said is the point I was kind of trying to make - i.e. to dissuade people who believe the argument that there's no room for a team south of Newcastle and north of the Hawkesbury.

Yeah I really just don't get the anger direct towards the Bear's bid regarding stealing Sydney & Newcastle share.

It just doesn't make sense.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
The Titans should tell qld stadiums to shove the ground up their arse and pay the qld rugby union 50k a match to play at the unused ballymore for a year. Might make them rethink how much they are charging RL teams to use stadiums in that part of the country.

Disgusting how much some sports are charged to use stadiums while one other sport more or less gets a free run.

beave

Coach
The problem is, I don't think the lights at Ballymore are up to fox's standards for broadcasting. I coukd be wrong though, stadiums QLD are merkins though, there's no 2 ways about it.

We've just been told up here that we aint getting a new stadium so f**k knows what they are going to do with DFS...........

Perth Red

Post Whore
The problem is, I don't think the lights at Ballymore are up to fox's standards for broadcasting. I coukd be wrong though, stadiums QLD are merkins though, there's no 2 ways about it.

We've just been told up here that we aint getting a new stadium so f**k knows what they are going to do with DFS...........

yet they can find $1/2mill for a scoping exercise for CQ? and guarantee $140mill if they get in? Seems the Q'land govt needs to get its priorities sorted. Look after what you have before worrying about something else.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Really? What was the reasoning?

docbrown

Coach
The problem is, I don't think the lights at Ballymore are up to fox's standards for broadcasting. I coukd be wrong though,

That's right, I recall reading that somewhere else.

In the long run the NRL needs to buy out a controlling share of a stadium board in Brisbane & Sydney.

beave

Coach
The state libs aren't going to fund it (Newman said pretty much this last week)and labor just announced today that they will focus the $$$$ on roads in TVL instead of the new entertainment/football stadium.

I guess the alternative is to knock down the Western Stand at DFS and build one like Newy but good luck doing that in one off season to prevent a major disruption to the corporates.

gronkathon

First Grade
The problem is, I don't think the lights at Ballymore are up to fox's standards for broadcasting.

We had that problem at Leichhardt and Campbelltown for a while there.

We hired additional lighting.

Aggregate cost would still make it worth it

docbrown

Coach
2 weeks too late.

Imagine the boost after that Knights v Dragons GP game. Not only due to the lead in but also because of the excitement after that game. Clubs would of cleaned up.

I'm still very supportive of this initiative.

I think you're on a winner there.

Saying that though, it'll be up to Channel 10 to do it. :cool:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
We had that problem at Leichhardt and Campbelltown for a while there.

We hired additional lighting.

Aggregate cost would still make it worth it

Now that you mention it, I remember something about that, plus each year we have city v country in places they don't have lights at all or not up to standard.

Any idea the cost involved, plus the fact not all games will be played at night if they manage a few Sunday arvo games?

beave

Coach
Look at the end of the day, Gold Coast fans aren't going to travel all the way to Brisbane for their home games. The savings in rental fees from going to Ballymore would be offset by the paltry 29 people that would rock up. We gotta be realistic, the only solution to this is getting the merkins at stadiums QLD to drop their fees deluxe. My ass was bent over and raped when my tax money was used to build the f**king stadiums, I shouldn't have to then be raped a 2nd time when I have to pay for my game ticket.