What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

super_coach

First Grade
All the hype over Carney?? The press have been on his case since the day he went to Shark Park. His attacking game has been very good, but in the few games I have seen him play has missed some pretty costly one on one tackles. Now i can live with that because his roll in the team is to get the offensive sets going but the great man Sticky keeps going on about certain players not being SOO style players and I would have thought anybody who has defensive question marks would be thrown into that basket. Anyway bottom line, they have nobody else and his offensive skills are good if he gets to use them

Bretto

Bench
Carney is at the same level as JT in terms of ability?

I would urge you to go on Youtube and watch a few of the Origin highlights packs from the last few years and see how many tries JT has a hand in.

Gippsy

Bench
Agree 100% on the props being our biggest issue over the years - nuffies like Perry, White, King et al just didn't do enough. I remember when Perry made a total of 38 metres in 31 minutes of game-time. What a useless sack of shit he was.

Yep, agree. Doesn't help though when the selectors/Stuart don't pick enough props.

mongoose

Coach
All those teams you talked about had Lockyers/Thurstons/Cronks/John's/Fittlers in them.

We have Carney and Pearce ffs.

We could have every hardworking plodder of a second row this series and we would be lucky to score a try.

We need to actually score points and and completely Bird won't help you do that.

Well i don't like to disagree with a fellow man city supporter but Bird is a proven origin performer whether you like him or not. Makes plenty of metres and more importantly line breaks. Set up a try all on his own in game 1 last year for Pearce from memory. He's done some big plays for NSW.

It's not so much a criticism of Soward it's just the high opinion I hold of Carney. If he can stay out of the newspapers and continues to play the way he has been which he's certainly capable of I reckon people will start to hold him in the same regard as Thurston which I almost already do certainly in ability terms.

drugs.JPG

If Ricky selects Hayne in the centres over a player like Josh Morris, we might as well not turn up. Hayne shouldn't be selected in the team in the first place, let alone in a position he never plays in, particularly when there are players in form like Josh Morris.

RWB

Bench
Everyone has witnessed what Carney has capable of (not so much in the grand final, where he wasn't sighted). It's a bit much to say Soward's not in the 'same class' when he's faster, has been more consistent, has a better kicking game and has achieved more at club and interstate level than Todd. No doubt Carney deseres the 6 jersey coming hs way, I hope he carves up the filthy toads

What has Soward achieved at club level exactly? He's been a solid, consistent performer but in terms of individual briliance Carney has him covered on his 2010 season alone where he won the Dally M medal. Team achievements are rather irrelevant to an individuals ability.

Speed is also a rather irrelevant ability when it comes to who's the better 5/8, it's not like Carney is slow either. Carney can play into, before and through the line where as Soward has only really ever demonstrated the ability to play before the line, Carney's running game is far superior and whilst his kicking game might not be as good it's certainly not far off. His short kicking game is certainly a lot more creative than Soward who is guilty of being very predictable at times. I also think Carney has far better selective passing and his vision allows him to play what's in front of him. Both are pretty poor defenders the only things I really think Soward has over Carney is his long kicking game, his broken field running and he's a better goalkicker (not that it should really be relevant when picking a team).

Mader45

Juniors
Mum would be so proud you found Google images, I take it then you disagree with me that Carney is the 2nd best 5/8 going round atm?

I consider Carney the most naturally talented player I've ever seen in my life.

He is what I consider the exact opposite of Cronk - A man who through continual hard work and discipline has got to where he is. While Carney just has this completely raw and natural talent that nobody understands how to control (problem is...you can't).

Thurston is absolutely amazing. But it's his utter competitiveness that keeps him at the top. The guy NEVER wants to lose. If Carney had Thurston's passion he would be absolutely mind-blowingly incredible.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me though.

Joker's Wild

Coach
If Ricky selects Hayne in the centres over a player like Josh Morris, we might as well not turn up. Hayne shouldn't be selected in the team in the first place, let alone in a position he never plays in, particularly when there are players in form like Josh Morris.

Again I repeat, Hayne is the incumbent NSW left centre and last year he was good. f**k what he has done for that rabble Parra in 2012, when it comes to SOO Hayne always lifts. Always

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Well i don't like to disagree with a fellow man city supporter but Bird is a proven origin performer whether you like him or not. Makes plenty of metres and more importantly line breaks. Set up a try all on his own in game 1 last year for Pearce from memory. He's done some big plays for NSW.

I didn't mean to single Bird out specifically, I meant more the "hard running backrowers" that were talked about earlier.

The back row should be Bird, Gallen, Stewart, with Choc on the bench.

Dragon2010

First Grade
I consider Carney the most naturally talented player I've ever seen in my life.

He is what I consider the exact opposite of Cronk - A man who through continual hard work and discipline has got to where he is. While Carney just has this completely raw and natural talent that nobody understands how to control (problem is...you can't).

Thurston is absolutely amazing. But it's his utter competitiveness that keeps him at the top. The guy NEVER wants to lose. If Carney had Thurston's passion he would be absolutely mind-blowingly incredible.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me though.

With the right motivation and come his maturity he can get there. Carney can adapt to that mind-frame once get's people believing him him and he believes in himself and his team. I think him playing Origin might be the best thing and will take his game to a new level.

Ladmate

Bench
The experts teams are shit because they are the people who talk up Gidley, Ennis etc as great players. They are part of the media which overhype their darlings.

Tweed Titan

Bench
hahahaha thats an awesome backline. was whoever came up with that playing NRL on xbox and just made the best team they could based on player ratings rather than positions or form? I used to play quick wingers as props so they could make breaks up the middle of the park. not sure it'd work in real life.

so if this backline is correct, Dugan who's not a winger would play wing (some fullbacks have a game which could translate ok to wing, dugan isnt one of them), Hayne who struggles to play fullback would be in the centres (has he ever played centres? plus he's so horribly out of form), Jennings who has been kicked to nsw cup would occupy the other centre position.....

alternatively the 2 morris boys are playing well esp brett, but lets ignore them and put more fullbacks into the team. loltzen's available sticky
I understand your point about form and position. But then to talk up one of the shittest origin players ever just destroys your arguement. :lol:

How many people do the Morris brothers rim?

Latest posts