What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

betcats

Referee
lol im not even gonna bother with what side id like, ive probably endorsed about 7 different teams now. I will say i think we need a prop on the bench, im not worried about a utility but Sticky will pick one.

T.T

Juniors
i know the source is of little credibility, but i asked phil rothfield, 'do you still think buhrer will be the utility for nsw'

his reply 'i don't think so, i know so'

T.T

Juniors
So team gets named Sunday. Article flying left, right and center about whom will be picked. Keep hearing that Williams is in and so is Sims. Betcats. What I mean was the way he was talking he sounded pretty certain in the fact "He want's Sims there" that's just how I interpreted it.

Some player bring more skills then others and each provide a different benefit to be in the squad. Some selection will be questionable as well. Does Hayne deserve a spot? I say yes. Does Jennings deserve a spot? That's a tough question. He's definitely able to be selected from reserve grade. (Despise the idiot Paul Kent thinking otherwise).

I think (As stated many times and this is like my 100th team revision) we will see something similar to this:

1) Stewart - He's a gun. Best fullback NSW have available
2) Hayne - He's an X-Factor and always steps up come orign. Bugger his club form
3) Jennings - (Sticky will pick him saying "He's the type of player I want" (Shoulder pending) He brings good speed, footwork and attacking skill. Defense is questionable.
4) Lawrence/ Josh Morris (Either of these) . Josh has shown better attacking form. Good defense. Lawrence never disappointing and while not in brilliant form still is solid, safe and good defense. With a strong team around him he can get Uate some great ball.
5) Uate - No explanation needed. The Fijian Flyer.

6) Carney - He's the best 5/8 we have. Surging with talent. Great attack. Good defense. Great kicking game and is a goal-kicker. Might just be what NSW need.
7) Pearce - Good organising halfback to partner Carney. Will give good service, good defense and provides a good kicking game. Looks in better form as comparison to 2011.

8) Gallen (C) - The man himself.
9) Farah - Can't see anyone else being selected. Bedsy the media child is gone. Ennis is in crap form
10) Tamou - Young, Fit and strong. He's a player of the future (Despise his Kiwi/Aus selection conspiracy)

11) Bird - Same role as last year. He brings some good attack, always step's up.
12) Stewart - Can play the same role he plays at manly. He's damaging and a genuine x-factor. If needed he and Bird can swap positions as they see opportunities arrive to roam across the field and cut it out wide.
13) Lewis - Let him play his usual. He was great off the bench last year but let him start this year. He should have a (vc) next to his name he can lift a team by showing leadership and never quitting. When he's on the field the blues seemed to lift last year and push forward.

14) Hinchliffe- Here is Stuart's utility. Personally between Bird, Lewis and Farah you don't really need one but he's the best option. Bugger Buhrer, Reynolds or any of them. We are already going to have too many on debut. Put someone in with a tough coach, from the Storm. He will get the job done.
15) Watmough - He brings some good attack with his wide runs, for a big player he has strong footwork and is fairly quick.
16) Wiliams - He's a machine. He's a devastating runner. He HAS to be here. He can be a bit lazy but with Gallen/Lewis on the field they will make sure he does not slack off.
17) Sims - He tore the dragons apart last week. He hits hard, run's hard. He can be in the NSW for many many years to come.

Seriously, I think this is the best team we can name and I think it's close to what we will see (hopefully). It's very similar to the teams named a few pages back. Start with the ball-players then bring on the impact players as QLD tire (While keeping on one ball player) and get a good interchange going. Give Carney a license to roam and let Pearce do the organizing for the plays and get Carney the ball. Farah can play a bit of a loose game with service from dummy half. He can run wide then pass back into the big units like Sims, Williams etc to smash the line and charge up.

Pros:
- Strong team capable of scoring points
- Tried to keep as many incumbents as possible
- Genuine, impact bench
- No Creagh
- No Ennis
- No other nuffies

Cons:
- Lots of players on debut

- morris' defence is anything but strong
- i don't see the need for hinchcliffe. he is hardly going to provide attacking spark if he comes on at hooker, and is no impact player in the backrow
- would replace hinchcliff with a prop
- unfortunately buhrer is a 'certainty'

Joe's Magpies

Juniors
Daniel Andersons side

1. Brett Stewart - Has the speed to turn half opportunities into tries. Tremendous last line defender.
  2. Akuila Uate - Had an outstanding series in 2011. One of the game's best kick returners.
  3. Chris Lawrence - No genuine right centre but runs courageous lines in attack and is a strong defender.
  4. Josh Morris - Blistering speed and bang in form. Anticipates a break better than most
  5. Brett Morris - Out-and-out finisher, and the one-two punch together with his brother will lift both.
  6. Todd Carney - Very strong kicking game, will play footy in any situation and in first-class form.
  7. Mitchell Pearce - His game has shown all dimensions in last few weeks. Can kick, pass, run and tackle.
  8. James Tamou - Big bopper and in form. On the way up as a player.
  9. Robbie Farah - Maligned but in form. His left-foot kicks can keep Queensland back three on notice.
  10. Paul Gallen - Needs no introduction.
  11. Ryan Hoffman - Form player in a form team. Left second row who will carry the ball at Thurston/Cronk all game. Great kick-chase and has a sneaky offload.
  12. Glenn Stewart - Creative backrower who can take pressure off Pearce and Carney on occasions. Ask Corey Payne if he can hit hard in defense.
  13. Greg Bird - Always plays well for NSW, in fact better than with his club. Swing man for injuries at hooker or halves.
  14. Tony Williams - Tackle-breaker. T-Rex has got enough teammates who play long minutes in the NSW team so if he can be a wrecking ball for a couple of 15 -minute stints, which works for me.
  15. Tariq Sims - Another giant young, fit, strong, fast, tackle-breaker. See job spec of T-Rex.
  16. Tim Mannah - Runs hard, finds the ground, and plays the ball fast. Is honest in defence. That is all that's required in this team. He will eat this role up.
  17. Anthony Watmough - In form and adds good balance to this team. There are plenty of attacking-minded backrowers so someone needs to do the donkey work. This is his specialty.
I would Replace Hoffman with Luke Lewis. There should be another prop on the bench as well.
http://www.nrl.com/grandstanding-pick-ryan-hoffman-for-nsw/tabid/10874/newsid/67377/default.aspx

Last edited:

Gippsy

Bench
Swap Watmough out for merrin and that would be my side as it stands

Not a bad side Dragon2010, but I think you're one frontrower short as well. I know Gallens good, but give him a bit of help with the grunt work. I'd swap Watmong for Woods.

And, how the hell can Ferris Buhrer get picked over any of those guys?

Dragon2010

First Grade
- morris' defence is anything but strong
- i don't see the need for hinchcliffe. he is hardly going to provide attacking spark if he comes on at hooker, and is no impact player in the backrow
- would replace hinchcliff with a prop
- unfortunately buhrer is a 'certainty'

JMoz has better defense then his brother so in comparison it's better and is strong but not great.

As I said. I don't see the need for Hinchy either but he WILL probably be there.

Agree with the Hinchy swap

Yes I know *sigh* Buhrer.

I think Merrin has been strong but I'd still take Watmough any day of the week. He provides more and brings more experience.

P.S: Brett Morris deserves no bloody selection. He's been nothing but woeful in rep sides. No tries next to his name and never step-up the next gear.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I would seriously stuff the utility and pick a prop in that place, either Woods or Merrin.

If Gallen or another prop goes down injured we are up shit creek. If a back goes down injured Lewis can cover most positions and Farah can cover the halves if needed.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Mals playing the "QLD underdog card" again.

Watmough has to be there. Drop Hinchy and put a prop on the bench burn that won't happen. Farah can play 80.

gUt

Coach
Why is Lawrence a certainty with so many commentators? He's solid at best, playing in a side not much better than Parra. Ridiculous.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Because he's the type of the centre that will thrive outside the ball-players - strong, hard runner of the ball and an above average defender. His form has been down this year and being asked to play lock and 5/8 hasn't helped his consistency - not to mention the constant changes around him in an ordinary Tigers team - but when in form he's quality.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
So team gets named Sunday. Article flying left, right and center about whom will be picked. Keep hearing that Williams is in and so is Sims. Betcats. What I mean was the way he was talking he sounded pretty certain in the fact "He want's Sims there" that's just how I interpreted it.

Some player bring more skills then others and each provide a different benefit to be in the squad. Some selection will be questionable as well. Does Hayne deserve a spot? I say yes. Does Jennings deserve a spot? That's a tough question. He's definitely able to be selected from reserve grade. (Despise the idiot Paul Kent thinking otherwise).

I think (As stated many times and this is like my 100th team revision) we will see something similar to this:

1) Stewart - He's a gun. Best fullback NSW have available
2) Hayne - He's an X-Factor and always steps up come orign. Bugger his club form
3) Jennings - (Sticky will pick him saying "He's the type of player I want" (Shoulder pending) He brings good speed, footwork and attacking skill. Defense is questionable.
4) Lawrence/ Josh Morris (Either of these) . Josh has shown better attacking form. Good defense. Lawrence never disappointing and while not in brilliant form still is solid, safe and good defense. With a strong team around him he can get Uate some great ball.
5) Uate - No explanation needed. The Fijian Flyer.

6) Carney - He's the best 5/8 we have. Surging with talent. Great attack. Good defense. Great kicking game and is a goal-kicker. Might just be what NSW need.
7) Pearce - Good organising halfback to partner Carney. Will give good service, good defense and provides a good kicking game. Looks in better form as comparison to 2011.

8) Gallen (C) - The man himself.
9) Farah - Can't see anyone else being selected. Bedsy the media child is gone. Ennis is in crap form
10) Tamou - Young, Fit and strong. He's a player of the future (Despise his Kiwi/Aus selection conspiracy)

11) Bird - Same role as last year. He brings some good attack, always step's up.
12) Stewart - Can play the same role he plays at manly. He's damaging and a genuine x-factor. If needed he and Bird can swap positions as they see opportunities arrive to roam across the field and cut it out wide.
13) Lewis - Let him play his usual. He was great off the bench last year but let him start this year. He should have a (vc) next to his name he can lift a team by showing leadership and never quitting. When he's on the field the blues seemed to lift last year and push forward.

14) Hinchliffe- Here is Stuart's utility. Personally between Bird, Lewis and Farah you don't really need one but he's the best option. Bugger Buhrer, Reynolds or any of them. We are already going to have too many on debut. Put someone in with a tough coach, from the Storm. He will get the job done.
15) Watmough - He brings some good attack with his wide runs, for a big player he has strong footwork and is fairly quick.
16) Wiliams - He's a machine. He's a devastating runner. He HAS to be here. He can be a bit lazy but with Gallen/Lewis on the field they will make sure he does not slack off.
17) Sims - He tore the dragons apart last week. He hits hard, run's hard. He can be in the NSW for many many years to come.

Seriously, I think this is the best team we can name and I think it's close to what we will see (hopefully). It's very similar to the teams named a few pages back. Start with the ball-players then bring on the impact players as QLD tire (While keeping on one ball player) and get a good interchange going. Give Carney a license to roam and let Pearce do the organizing for the plays and get Carney the ball. Farah can play a bit of a loose game with service from dummy half. He can run wide then pass back into the big units like Sims, Williams etc to smash the line and charge up.

Pros:
- Strong team capable of scoring points
- Tried to keep as many incumbents as possible
- Genuine, impact bench
- No Creagh
- No Ennis
- No other nuffies

Cons:
- Lots of players on debut

No props on the bench?

I would have Mannah starting with Tamou on the bench, preferably with another prop.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Props are over-rated (Jokes). I actually realized that after my post. That being the case I'd drop the utility and bring Mannah. No need for a bench utility but we will have one. I think it will be Buhrer. What do Manly fans think of him in all honesty?

Disco

Bench
He is all class.

No doubt in my mind Buhrer is a SOO player. However even as a Manly fan i think this year is 1, 2 or even 3 years too early for him.

That said, he wont let the blues down, he's quick with good footwork, runs good lines, tackles all day, and provides great service out of dummy half (which suprided me as before this year i had never really thought of him as an option at hooker)

Jono078

Referee
Hypothetical;

If Mason plays a big game and dominates Matt Scott and James Tamou, does he make the NSW bench for game 1?

Latest posts