What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Fieldsguy

Juniors
I consider Carney the most naturally talented player I've ever seen in my life.
So, you were born this year?

He is what I consider the exact opposite of Cronk - A man who through continual hard work and discipline has got to where he is. While Carney just has this completely raw and natural talent that nobody understands how to control (problem is...you can't).
Kind of agree with that, Cronk is over rated as a player and shows little flair, it is only through discipline and playing with great players that his name has shone through to the media.
Thurston is absolutely amazing. But it's his utter competitiveness that keeps him at the top. The guy NEVER wants to lose. If Carney had Thurston's passion he would be absolutely mind-blowingly incredible.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me though.
Half agree with that as well, Thurston would have to be the most competitive never say die player in the competition, good thing for him considering the teams he has played with the last few years at club level. But I think you underestimate Thurston talent, you can have all the desire in the world but unless you have the skills it won't get you far, Thurston possesses all of the skills and combines that with his drive.

I like Carney and hope he develops as a player, but naturally talented, that is yet to be seen on the big stage.

Rod

Bench
Can't say that I would agree with Williams making the team over Sims. For a guy who's never played Origin Sims is as close to a must-pick as you can get (apart from Carney I suppose haha).

betcats

Referee
I disagree, Id take Trex over Sims this year atleast, Id like them both but right now id prefer Williams coming off the bench for some impact then Sims, if it comes down to a choice.

Dragon2010

First Grade
You can take both Sims and Willaims it's a big risk though. In Sticjys interview last week he spoke of Sims quite highly and sounded like he was hinting he's a selection choice.

betcats

Referee
You can take both Sims and Willaims it's a big risk though. In Sticjys interview last week he spoke of Sims quite highly and sounded like he was hinting he's a selection choice.

Stick has dropped plenty of hints so far, Ennis, Hayne at 6 etc so i wouldnt read too much into that.

Plus its kind of hard not to think highly of Sims as a footy player.

Hutty1986

Immortal
What has Soward achieved at club level exactly? He's been a solid, consistent performer but in terms of individual briliance Carney has him covered on his 2010 season alone where he won the Dally M medal. Team achievements are rather irrelevant to an individuals ability.

Speed is also a rather irrelevant ability when it comes to who's the better 5/8, it's not like Carney is slow either. Carney can play into, before and through the line where as Soward has only really ever demonstrated the ability to play before the line, Carney's running game is far superior and whilst his kicking game might not be as good it's certainly not far off. His short kicking game is certainly a lot more creative than Soward who is guilty of being very predictable at times. I also think Carney has far better selective passing and his vision allows him to play what's in front of him. Both are pretty poor defenders the only things I really think Soward has over Carney is his long kicking game, his broken field running and he's a better goalkicker (not that it should really be relevant when picking a team).

Yes, yet you easily forget Soward was close to the Dally M in 2009 and had another blinder in 2010. We probably wouldn't have made the GF, let alone win it convincingly without him there at 6. though admittedly his form suffered in the back end of last season. Carney's defence and goal-kicking is a concern for NSW and let's not get blinded by some of the worst defence you'll see in years last Monday night when Carney carved up-his individual try especially was embarrassing for the Bunnies. Again, I'm not arguing who is in the better form, it's just a massive stretch to say Carney is in a 'different league' when he hasn't played Origin, flopped in the biggest game of his career to date & still has a point to prove.

I hope he does that this series, because NSW will need a dominant series for him to win.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Carneys a fine-goal kicker. Thurston ain't doing to great this season either. A bit of practice with the boot and he will be fine. His defenses is not the best but with tough boys around hm he will be strong.

RABK

Referee
Yeh i love Watmough more than most Manly fans and was the one starting the threads asking why the f**k he wasn't selected in years past after been our best in 2009.

But if Watmough misses out due to Sims and Williams both been selected i can cop that from Stuart. Bird, Lewis and Stewart is a quality backrow and whilst IMO Watmough is the best and most consistent backrower NSW has i can understand the strategy Stuart will be going with.

Starting with ball players who are solid defensively and then bringing on impact. Watmough ain't a ball player and he can't compete with Williams or Sims for impact.

If he however misses out to Creagh or Hoffman i'll be fuming. I hope he gets selected - after his efforts for NSW he deserves to be part of a winning series.

Dragon2010

First Grade
So team gets named Sunday. Article flying left, right and center about whom will be picked. Keep hearing that Williams is in and so is Sims. Betcats. What I mean was the way he was talking he sounded pretty certain in the fact "He want's Sims there" that's just how I interpreted it.

Some player bring more skills then others and each provide a different benefit to be in the squad. Some selection will be questionable as well. Does Hayne deserve a spot? I say yes. Does Jennings deserve a spot? That's a tough question. He's definitely able to be selected from reserve grade. (Despise the idiot Paul Kent thinking otherwise).

I think (As stated many times and this is like my 100th team revision) we will see something similar to this:

1) Stewart - He's a gun. Best fullback NSW have available
2) Hayne - He's an X-Factor and always steps up come orign. Bugger his club form
3) Jennings - (Sticky will pick him saying "He's the type of player I want" (Shoulder pending) He brings good speed, footwork and attacking skill. Defense is questionable.
4) Lawrence/ Josh Morris (Either of these) . Josh has shown better attacking form. Good defense. Lawrence never disappointing and while not in brilliant form still is solid, safe and good defense. With a strong team around him he can get Uate some great ball.
5) Uate - No explanation needed. The Fijian Flyer.

6) Carney - He's the best 5/8 we have. Surging with talent. Great attack. Good defense. Great kicking game and is a goal-kicker. Might just be what NSW need.
7) Pearce - Good organising halfback to partner Carney. Will give good service, good defense and provides a good kicking game. Looks in better form as comparison to 2011.

8) Gallen (C) - The man himself.
9) Farah - Can't see anyone else being selected. Bedsy the media child is gone. Ennis is in crap form
10) Tamou - Young, Fit and strong. He's a player of the future (Despise his Kiwi/Aus selection conspiracy)

11) Bird - Same role as last year. He brings some good attack, always step's up.
12) Stewart - Can play the same role he plays at manly. He's damaging and a genuine x-factor. If needed he and Bird can swap positions as they see opportunities arrive to roam across the field and cut it out wide.
13) Lewis - Let him play his usual. He was great off the bench last year but let him start this year. He should have a (vc) next to his name he can lift a team by showing leadership and never quitting. When he's on the field the blues seemed to lift last year and push forward.

14) Hinchliffe- Here is Stuart's utility. Personally between Bird, Lewis and Farah you don't really need one but he's the best option. Bugger Buhrer, Reynolds or any of them. We are already going to have too many on debut. Put someone in with a tough coach, from the Storm. He will get the job done.
15) Watmough - He brings some good attack with his wide runs, for a big player he has strong footwork and is fairly quick.
16) Wiliams - He's a machine. He's a devastating runner. He HAS to be here. He can be a bit lazy but with Gallen/Lewis on the field they will make sure he does not slack off.
17) Sims - He tore the dragons apart last week. He hits hard, run's hard. He can be in the NSW for many many years to come.

Seriously, I think this is the best team we can name and I think it's close to what we will see (hopefully). It's very similar to the teams named a few pages back. Start with the ball-players then bring on the impact players as QLD tire (While keeping on one ball player) and get a good interchange going. Give Carney a license to roam and let Pearce do the organizing for the plays and get Carney the ball. Farah can play a bit of a loose game with service from dummy half. He can run wide then pass back into the big units like Sims, Williams etc to smash the line and charge up.

Pros:
- Strong team capable of scoring points
- Tried to keep as many incumbents as possible
- Genuine, impact bench
- No Creagh
- No Ennis
- No other nuffies

Cons:
- Lots of players on debut

RABK

Referee
6 players on debut ain't too many - not when 4 of them have played for Australia before.

That's my team also Dragon2010. I'll agree with that as my FINAL team.

Latest posts