What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

RABK

Referee
And for those having a rant because i brought up the goal kicking issue - i asked had any players in contention kicked before and a couple of posters answred that yes they had. Issue over. But if you don't think such issues cross coaches minds when selecting a rep side you're an idiot.

RWB

Bench
Ok you don't like glenn stewart, we all get it. But you're an idiot. He is a quality player who will offer a lot. He's played 4 Origins. If we judged Andrew Johns, Paul Gallen, Brad Fittler and countless others on their first 3 or 4 origins they'd have never played again.

Grow the f**k up and stop hating on stewart at every opportunity.

He threw the final or penultimate pass for about 3 tries last night but i'm sure it was just all copleys bad positioning. Please he draws and passes beautifully - better than any backrower in the game.

I don't dislike Stewart, at club level I think he's one of the most valuable backrowers going around up there with Lewis I just don't think he has what it takes to make origin and we've already seen that so I'm not sure why we're persisting.

He did not throw the last pass for 3 tries, fact. He did not even have a hand in 3 tries, fact. Dare I say you saw the things the way you wanted to see them last night and have ignored the facts? Yet you have the balls to call me biased because I disagree that he had a good game last night and it's 'what NSW need'.

His ability to draw and pass is irrelevant I'm questioning his game last night, not his overall ability. For what it's worth I think he's the best ball playing forward in the game. There's no doubt Copley's positioning played a massive role in the frst and last try, it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

The first try was a 3 on 1, do you really think that QLD will present such opportunities? The last try again was a 3 on 2 only because Copley wasn't anywhere near as deep but it was still a very simple play that any half decent second rower would have been able to catch and pass. He's played some great club games in the past but this definitely wasn't one of them, I'm sure most Manly fans would agree with me. What irritates me is the kind of continual hyping up of players just because you want to see them in the team.

RABK

Referee
No i mistook Bretts hand in Manlys third for Glenn. Simple error.

Bottom line is you're a stat monkey. A players gotta score a certain amount of supercoach points for you to think they had a good game.

NSW have had stat monkey players get us up field and then had no way to get over the line once there due to uncreative halves. Glenn Stewart can provide a bit of ball playing spark on that fringe and provide good opportunities for his outside centre and winger better than any other second rower we have. Fact.

Do i think if QLD will present opportunities? Of course they f**king will. They are not robots attached to a treadmill that slides them along their defensive line at 50 miles an hour. If NSW runs the correct lines and finds the right players with the right passes there will always be opportunities. QLD have given NSW countless 3 on 2's and 2 on 1's over the last few years but poor execution meant no result.

And if you think QLD don't have wingers stand deep occasionally then you did not watch last years series where Yow Yeh was often 10-15m behind play on the 3rd and 4th tackle.

Stewart ain't a hit up merchant. He's a ball playing lock. If he makes 35 tackles and 50-80m in attack with a hand in a couple of tries and line breaks he is doing his job. He did that last night. People pushing the wagon of players they want to see, how about you death riding the ability of what Glenn Stewart can and will bring to Origin if given early ball.

If we go by 12 month form Glenn Stewart is second player picked for NSW. Your darling Bird is perhaps 11th picked. Deal with it buddy.

Glenn stewart and Beau Scott will damage qld on their left. Presuming Beau is fit and selected for game two. Glenn is a wonderful Player. I bet there is not a club in the NRL who would say no if he was on offer.

RWB are you actually suggesting that Glenn Stewart is less of a player cos Dale Copley is a horrendous defender? Give it away if you are.

andrew057

First Grade
Glenn stewart and Beau Scott will damage qld on their left. Presuming Beau is fit and selected for game two. Glenn is a wonderful Player. I bet there is not a club in the NRL who would say no if he was on offer.

You seen Beau Scott play this season? Terrible.

Tweed Titan

Bench
So team gets named Sunday. Article flying left, right and center about whom will be picked. Keep hearing that Williams is in and so is Sims. Betcats. What I mean was the way he was talking he sounded pretty certain in the fact "He want's Sims there" that's just how I interpreted it.

Some player bring more skills then others and each provide a different benefit to be in the squad. Some selection will be questionable as well. Does Hayne deserve a spot? I say yes. Does Jennings deserve a spot? That's a tough question. He's definitely able to be selected from reserve grade. (Despise the idiot Paul Kent thinking otherwise).

I think (As stated many times and this is like my 100th team revision) we will see something similar to this:

1) Stewart - He's a gun. Best fullback NSW have available
2) Hayne - He's an X-Factor and always steps up come orign. Bugger his club form
3) Jennings - (Sticky will pick him saying "He's the type of player I want" (Shoulder pending) He brings good speed, footwork and attacking skill. Defense is questionable.
4) Lawrence/ Josh Morris (Either of these) . Josh has shown better attacking form. Good defense. Lawrence never disappointing and while not in brilliant form still is solid, safe and good defense. With a strong team around him he can get Uate some great ball.
5) Uate - No explanation needed. The Fijian Flyer.

6) Carney - He's the best 5/8 we have. Surging with talent. Great attack. Good defense. Great kicking game and is a goal-kicker. Might just be what NSW need.
7) Pearce - Good organising halfback to partner Carney. Will give good service, good defense and provides a good kicking game. Looks in better form as comparison to 2011.

8) Gallen (C) - The man himself.
9) Farah - Can't see anyone else being selected. Bedsy the media child is gone. Ennis is in crap form
10) Tamou - Young, Fit and strong. He's a player of the future (Despise his Kiwi/Aus selection conspiracy)

11) Bird - Same role as last year. He brings some good attack, always step's up.
12) Stewart - Can play the same role he plays at manly. He's damaging and a genuine x-factor. If needed he and Bird can swap positions as they see opportunities arrive to roam across the field and cut it out wide.
13) Lewis - Let him play his usual. He was great off the bench last year but let him start this year. He should have a (vc) next to his name he can lift a team by showing leadership and never quitting. When he's on the field the blues seemed to lift last year and push forward.

14) Hinchliffe- Here is Stuart's utility. Personally between Bird, Lewis and Farah you don't really need one but he's the best option. Bugger Buhrer, Reynolds or any of them. We are already going to have too many on debut. Put someone in with a tough coach, from the Storm. He will get the job done.
15) Watmough - He brings some good attack with his wide runs, for a big player he has strong footwork and is fairly quick.
16) Wiliams - He's a machine. He's a devastating runner. He HAS to be here. He can be a bit lazy but with Gallen/Lewis on the field they will make sure he does not slack off.
17) Sims - He tore the dragons apart last week. He hits hard, run's hard. He can be in the NSW for many many years to come.

Seriously, I think this is the best team we can name and I think it's close to what we will see (hopefully). It's very similar to the teams named a few pages back. Start with the ball-players then bring on the impact players as QLD tire (While keeping on one ball player) and get a good interchange going. Give Carney a license to roam and let Pearce do the organizing for the plays and get Carney the ball. Farah can play a bit of a loose game with service from dummy half. He can run wide then pass back into the big units like Sims, Williams etc to smash the line and charge up.

Pros:
- Strong team capable of scoring points
- Tried to keep as many incumbents as possible
- Genuine, impact bench
- No Creagh
- No Ennis
- No other nuffies

Cons:
- Lots of players on debut

Swap Mannah for Hinchcliffe and you have my side. I would start Mannah and have Tamou on the bench though.

Spot On

Coach
1) stewart
2) b.morris
3) j.morris
4) hayne
5) uate
6) carney
7) pearce
8) gallen (C)
9) farah
10) weyman
11) bird
12) watmough
13) luke lewis

14) aubusson
15) tony williams
16) tamou
17) mannah

I don't believe Weyman is much chop at Origin level but thank f**k someone has actually selected a side with at least 4 props. Some of the sides in this thread have Gallen and one other in their 17. What's that about?

I really hope we go without the "utility" this year. Two props and Sims and Williams will do nicely thanks.

Yosh

Coach
If I could choose:

1. Stewart
2. Uate
3. Lyon
4. Jennings
5. Hayne

6. Carney
7. Pearce

8. Gallen
9. Bedsy
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Watmough
13. Lewis

14. Henchiffle
15. Tony Williams
16. Tariq Sims
17. Tony Leyrod Lahrs

18. Woods
19. Mannah
20. Yosh

That's the side I would want to see throughout the series. I know Lyon won't play and Bedsy is injured but that team will give QLD a good game.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I don't believe Weyman is much chop at Origin level but thank f**k someone has actually selected a side with at least 4 props. Some of the sides in this thread have Gallen and one other in their 17. What's that about?

I really hope we go without the "utility" this year. Two props and Sims and Williams will do nicely thanks.
Is it any wonder though when Gallen is the only recognised prop that's actually performed well in the last 6 series losses. White, Kite, King, Weyman, Snowden, Merrin, Mannah, etc have all failed to have an impact in Origin. Guys like Watmough and Bird have had stints at prop and done a great job.

caylo

Bench
Just from watching them both, Stewart is the better ball player. I don't necessarily think Dugan is bad at it or a hog, I just think Stewart has perfected it over his career and is probably better than anyone at it. Dugan put Jennings through a gap that was 5m wide. It was a good play, but other fullback could have done the same.

I have admitted that Dugan has the superior running game. He has a very good ability to break through tackles that he simply shouldn't. As for getting out of our end, that isn't much of an issue with guys like Uate and Hayne moving in field to take a hitup.

If you want a ball playing fullback Hayne is the best in the NRL, better then Slater, Stewart and Dugan but for all round ability Stewart is the best NSW have IMO. Dugan does have a strong running game (as do Hayne and Stewart) but what he lacks that Stewart has is genuine speed. I also think Stewart is second to only Slater in his anticipation in attack, he knows who to follow and his and has good vision close to the line which makes him the perfect player at rep level when their is minimal time to form an understanding of your fellow players game.

I also like the idea of Hayne in the centres, we have to be honest their is no better option atm and his front on defense is pretty good, he has the ability to break the line with strength, speed or a step and he has a knack of taking intercepts when defending in the line. With all things considered I would go with:

Stewart, Dugan/Morris, Hayne, Jennings, Uate, Carney, Pearce, Mannah, Farah, Gallen, Watmough, Stewart, Lewis: Bird, Tamou, T.Sims, Willaims

Raider_69

Post Whore
Just enough time for Josh Dugan to play out another game and win the fullback spot.

(i dont agree with it, i tend to think his shoulder is too risky, but i do think if he plays out the 80 minutes against parra and has a good game, he's a better than even chance to be named fullback)

Gippsy

Bench
G Stewart has showed why he is a must pick. And I'm sure Buhrer will be a very handy firstgrader one day, but to be picked for SOO this year will be a joke of massive proportions.

Ladmate

Bench
Jennings shouldn't be picked. He couldn't even fire up against 2nd rate opposition FFS (from news report, maybe someone can confirm?)

andrew057

First Grade
Just enough time for Josh Dugan to play out another game and win the fullback spot.

(i dont agree with it, i tend to think his shoulder is too risky, but i do think if he plays out the 80 minutes against parra and has a good game, he's a better than even chance to be named fullback)

Regardless of how Dugan plays tomorrow Stewart should be NSW fullback.

Not saying that moron Ricky wont jizz and give Duges the #1 if he plays well tho.

Big Pete

Referee
When Ricky selects the side I expect it to go down as well as this did...

Homer_Car.jpg