What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Spot On

Coach
Is it any wonder though when Gallen is the only recognised prop that's actually performed well in the last 6 series losses. White, Kite, King, Weyman, Snowden, Merrin, Mannah, etc have all failed to have an impact in Origin. Guys like Watmough and Bird have had stints at prop and done a great job.

He wasn't even a recognised prop prior to Origin last year. The prop rotation is the greatest problem we have had. All NSW supporters should know this. When you read the names you have written there you just shake your head and then acknowledge we never had a chance with some of those blokes. That some even got a run at this level is disturbing and highlights the lack of semi-quality big men in this state recently. Those first five were all attrocious. I will be very disappointed if Merrin isn't given a go again (esp. with the form he has shown) and even more disappointed if he doesn't make an impact. Surely he, Gal, Tamou and ????? can do the job.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
When Ricky selects the side I expect it to go down as well as this did...

Homer_Car.jpg

Haha.

Boganater

Juniors
Regardless of how Dugan plays tomorrow Stewart should be NSW fullback.

Not saying that moron Ricky wont jizz and give Duges the #1 if he plays well tho.
I don't get how Stewart is so far in front in some moron's minds.
I would have them about level pegging
You couldn't say that Stewart has been absolutely electrifying this year to warrant such favouritism. He has been good without being great.
Dugan has played ok too when on the field and he showed great potential last year with a good debut in Origin.
Can anyone tell me exactly what Stewart is going to do that will cause QLD nightmares?

As for everyone bagging Sticky, give the guy a break. We saw a real improvement in NSW last year and they were only 5 min of bad football
(in game 1) off winning the series. It was no cake walk for QLD that's for sure.
Sure he comes with some outlandish comments but the bloke wants the best for NSW and I doubt there is anyone at the moment who could do a better job.

Didgi

A side I wouldn't want to see:

1. Stewart - very rarely has a bad game. Fair enough he's been out a bit lately, but if he's back and showing what he can do by Origin, he should be there. If he can produce any sort of combination with his teammates he has shown at Manly he can be unstoppable. Hayne can produce some freakish stuff, but he also goes missing far more often.
2. Hayne - he's too much of a talent - and in fair form - to leave out completely. A lack of other real options makes it easy for him to come in on the wing.
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
Two centres who are genuine attacking threats, and decent-ish in defence too. Neither have been in top form, but there's hardly anyone else clamouring to be selected. Morris and whichever nuffy from their own club fans want to spruik aren't in the form or have shown the attacking threat these two have. Both are young, can be there for a long time.
5. Uate, picks himself.
6. Carney
7. Pearce
The only possible combination based on CvC, incumbency, combinations, club form, whatever for mine. Soward and Wallace (particularly) unlucky not to get auditions, Hayne and Mullen f**ked their chances.
8. Gallen
9. Farah - a better allround option than Buderus. Hinchcliffe may have a future off the bench but not yet. Can kick when needed, defensively solid and when on can rip a team apart.
10. Mannah - A big workhorse needed to absorb the opening exchanges.
11. Watmong
12. Bird
13. Lewis
A back row that's a mix of workhorse, impact, versatility and durability, all very tough too.

14. T-Rex - Too good to leave out.
15. Tamou - off the bench for impact, throw his weight around a bit. Bring him into Origin a bit cautiously.
16. Tariq Sims - Once again, too dynamic to leave out. He can play the worker role, he can play the wide running role, he can play the hit and smash.
17. TLL/Douglas - More big men on the bench to keep rolling. TLL or Douglas most likely, Merrin/Weyman/Snowden/takeyourpick as outsiders/if injuries.

This was my side three weeks ago. Only changes I'd make now are Watmong onto the bench and Glen Stewart in - NSW might need a bit more creativity and again he's a multi-talented player. I'd bump Williams or Sims, due to either lack of gametime or lack of form. Otherwise, still don't want to see this side. Carney has confirmed his spot.

Jason Maher

Immortal
You cannot fit Watmough, Birds, Lewis, Stewart, Williams, and Sims all into the team. It's ludicrous to suggest we go with 1 prop and Gallen.

Boganater

Juniors
You cannot fit Watmough, Birds, Lewis, Stewart, Williams, and Sims all into the team. It's ludicrous to suggest we go with 1 prop and Gallen.
Which props do you go with?
Weyman is probably the best for the 3rd prop spot rotating with Tamou assuming Gal will play 80 or close to it.

I think the pack should be :
8- Gallen
9- Farah
10-Tamou
11-Bird
12-Watmough
13-Lewis
14-Hinchcliffe
15-Weyman
16-T Williams
17-T Sims

Joe's Magpies

Juniors
LOOK out, Queensland, Ricky Stuart is set to unleash T-Rex on this year's Origin series.
Coach Stuart is poised to gamble on Manly's 118kg wrecking ball Tony Williams when he announces a 19-man Blues squad this afternoon.

Despite not having played for nine weeks due to suspension, Williams will be one of Stuart's shock weapons as he bids to end Queensland's six-year Origin dominance.

Stuart will name a squad today as opposed to a team due to an injury concern over Test backrower Anthony Watmough and the threat of Glenn Stewart being charged by the NRL judiciary over a high tackle in Friday night's win against Brisbane.

After almost three months of speculation, pressure and innuendo over the make-up of the Blues team, Stuart will today announce that:

* DUMPED Penrith centre Michael Jennings will become the first player in almost 30 years to be chosen from reserve grade to wear the Sky Blue jumper;

* OUT-OF-FORM Eels star Jarryd Hayne will start on the wing, with Manly's Brett Stewart at fullback;

* WESTS Tigers hooker Robbie Farah has beaten Michael Ennis and Ryan Hinchcliffe for the No. 9 jumper;

* SEA Eagles rookie Jamie Buhrer and Cowboys enforcers James Tamou and Tariq Sims will make their Origin debut;

* SKIPPER Paul Gallen will start the match in the front row with Ben Creagh to be used as front-row rotation from the bench;

* AND providing he comes through today's clash with the Melbourne Storm at Toyota Stadium, Todd Carney will continue his redemption story by partnering Mitchell Pearce in the halves.

But the selection of Williams and Jennings will be the biggest talking points when Stuart announces his side at 5pm from League Central at Moore Park.

Not since Noel "Crusher" Cleal have the Blues boasted a back-rower with the size and athleticism of Williams.

The Manly back-rower, who has been working tirelessly with Sea Eagles head conditioner Donnie Singe, has been in regular contact with Stuart and has left no doubt that he is ready to fire.

"I've been doing all the training with the Manly boys but then I've also been doing heaps of extras on top of that as well with our trainer Donnie Singe," Williams told The Sunday Telegraph recently.

"Obviously I'd love to be a part of Origin. It's the best of the best so you want to be involved."

Singe added: "If he got picked for Origin, with the pure speed and aggression of an Origin game, I'm pretty sure the coach would choose the appropriate minutes for T-Rex to be effective."

Jennings, who played in front of a few hundred fans in Auckland yesterday, gave his injured shoulder the test he wanted in 80 minutes of NSW Cup action for Windsor.

The last reserve grade player to be selected for Origin was Manly hooker Ray Brown in 1983.

But Stuart is an unabashed fan of Jennings and believes he can revitalise his game once he enters Origin camp.

Most contentious areas for Stuart centre around the make-up of his back row.

NSW mainstays Glenn Stewart, Luke Lewis, Ben Creagh and Greg Bird will be named today.

However, there is also pressure to include Watmough and rising star Sims.

Stuart will most likely include the extra two players before making a call late next week on who to omit.

"It's a delicate decision to make because of the importance that the back row has on the dynamics of the team," Stuart said yesterday.

"I suppose it's a good position to be in when you've got to choose between players that you know have and will handle Origin football."

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...ven-week-lay-off/story-e6frexv9-1226353749014

Last edited:

Dragon2010

First Grade
Buhrer? Seriously......he's still another 1-2 years away.

Creagh? What has this guy achieved at Origin level for NSW. Yet alone this season! His form is down and he plays dropsies 24/7. Please piss him off and bring in Watmough or a prop. (Asumming no other is picked). Creaghs a cat.

With Hayne on wing and Jennings in BMoz probably won't get selected with Uate on the other. Lawrence of JMoz will be the other center. There's a few good things in that article.

Urgh.....Two bad selection there. I wil happily eat my words if I am proven wrong.

Last edited:

Dragon2010

First Grade
As for everyone bagging Sticky, give the guy a break. We saw a real improvement in NSW last year and they were only 5 min of bad football
(in game 1) off winning the series. It was no cake walk for QLD that's for sure.
Sure he comes with some outlandish comments but the bloke wants the best for NSW and I doubt there is anyone at the moment who could do a better job.

Good point. True. Still he should shut his mouth in the media to not make himself look stupid. Alas, I feel for the bloke tries his heart out and I feel sorry for the situation his daughter is in. He's actually a very decent down to earth bloke. Met him last year at GameII.

Bretto

Bench
Ben Creagh in the front row rotation? He'll get smashed up the middle.

Jennings will cop a bath from Hodges (I think Jennings plays left side?)

Interesting times.

Boganater

Juniors
What I'd like to know is how the Telecrap gets the info on the team makeup.
Do Sticky/Bozo sneak into the alley behind NSWRL HQ to tell some shitbag reporter from the Telecrap what the team is? I highly doubt it.
Why can't these guys ever reveal their sources?

Last edited: