What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

abpanther

Staff member
Tim Grant was great but it's not something he's done a lot in his career. Up until now his performances have been solid but never much more, picking him on the back of one great game is the type of thing that has got NSW in this mess. Form means very little when picking an origin side, he needs to show this ability over a long period of time if he's to be seriously considered.

I don't know what you're talking about, but Grant has been playing well for at least 12 months or so, he was our best prop last year even with Petero in the side.

sputneek

Juniors
Good players so far:
1) Buderus- Yeah, He's an ex-NSW hooker and in his prime was one of the best around. Captained us to wins many years ago and I believe under Bennett and if he can retain his form will claim back his Number.9 jersey. The guy can play and he gives 110%. He impressed me in the Knights v Dragons game. Tackling machine and tried to get involved and active in attack as much as possible. What we need

I can't agree. Buderus looked slow and the Knights forwards had no momentum when he was playing. When Hilder was on they looked so much better. He might be able to cut it at club level but there's no way in the world he should be a rep hooker again unless he improves tenfold.

Pazza

First Grade
Tony Williams has size and strength that the NSW pack is lacking, his game today against the Warriors shows he is quickly maturing to one of the best back rowers in the game.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Tony Williams has size and strength that the NSW pack is lacking, his game today against the Warriors shows he is quickly maturing to one of the best back rowers in the game.

Hopefully Queerland don't poach him. :crazy:

RABK

Referee
Grant only just showing he's capable of Origin? Please. He's been in great form for 18 months now and i can remember at least 7 panther games i watched where he was dominant up the middle making huge metres.

anjado

Juniors
Tim Grant was great but it's not something he's done a lot in his career. Up until now his performances have been solid but never much more, picking him on the back of one great game is the type of thing that has got NSW in this mess. Form means very little when picking an origin side, he needs to show this ability over a long period of time if he's to be seriously considered.

Fensom, now there's a player who shown he has the ability consistently over long periods of time and has earnt the right to be seriously considered.

Bird had another good game, 170 metres in 60 minutes. Not to mention he's got the runs on the board at SOO level whilst Lewis & Stewart have never really impressed, I can't believe people are considering not picking him at all.

Michael Ennis with only 3 penalties tonight? Good by his standards, maybe a sign Des is a positive influence on his discipline :sarcasm:

Disagree with this massively Tim Grant should of been picked for Origin in 2010 around the same time Mannah was picked. Grant has been consistently good for 3 seasons now. When Penrith came 2nd in the regular season in 2010 it was pretty much on the back of Petero,McKendry and Grant making 100 metres a game and dominating up the middle.

RWB

Bench
I don't know what you're talking about, but Grant has been playing well for at least 12 months or so, he was our best prop last year even with Petero in the side.

I never said he wasn't playing well, I said he hasn't been playing great. The difference between someone who should be in contention for a spot and someone who shouldn't.

Last year he was averaging just a touch over 100m per game not with great punch and not a massive tackle count either. There's a number of NSW front rowers who can do this with more quality and quantity about their work. Last night he made massive metres and his metres per run given the amount of work he did was simply awesome.

1 game means little though, he needs to prove a) that it wasn't just a one off game and then; b) that he can sustain these performances consistently for long periods of time.

This should be the criteria on which a SOO player is selected afaic.

Last edited:

Y2Eel

First Grade
the difference is one is at the start of their career with a large ceiling, the other is in the final year of his career and declining. Fensom out performs hindmarsh right now, which is understandable given we're talking about a 21 year old v a 32 year old.

try again son. You're arguing the wrong case

I'd swap Fensom for Hindy and Hindy is one of the eels players i actually like!

Raider_69

Post Whore
and you'd be right to do it. Hindy has had a fantastic career but there is no doubt he is a man on the decline. Fensom is pretty much Hindy V1.2

Springs

First Grade
I'm not saying Hindmarsh is better I'm saying those who criticise him for doing pretty much the exact same thing as Fensom is stupid. I would also say 51 tackles, 124 metres and several try saving plays is proof Hindmarsh isn't declining as rapidly as most think.

By all means pick Fensom. NSW needs more players like Hindmarsh, Fitzgibbon and co. If Fensom keeps this form up he should be an Origin regular.

timka4

Bench
I missed most of the games this weekend, but those stats from Fensom are really good. I said I'd put him in the team in 1-3 years time, but he could very well be a bolter this year if he keeps his form up.

RWB

Bench
I missed most of the games this weekend, but those stats from Fensom are really good. I said I'd put him in the team in 1-3 years time, but he could very well be a bolter this year if he keeps his form up.

He was displaying this form last year, you didn't have to catch the round 1 action.

And since when did one game = form

Fullback - B.Stewart
Wings - A.Uate, B.Morris
Centres - B.Scott, C.Lawrence
Five-eighth - T.Campese
Halfback - T.Carney
Apex - R.Farah
Front-rowers - K.Snowden, K.Galloway
Second-rowers - T.Sims, G.Stewart
Middle-backrower - P.Gallen

Interchange - K.Gidley, T.Learoyd-Lahrs, T.Merrin, G.Bird

That team can frighten the Maroons. I know it can.

timka4

Bench
He was displaying this form last year, you didn't have to catch the round 1 action.

And since when did one game = form
I know that, hence why I said I would add him in my squad in the next 1-3 years. I also said if he continues his form, there has only been one game, yes, but I don't think he had one quiet game (by his style of play) last year.
But yes of course, he would need to display good form from now up until origin still.

Parra Pride

Referee
Fullback - B.Stewart
Wings - A.Uate, B.Morris
Centres - B.Scott, C.Lawrence
Five-eighth - T.Campese
Halfback - T.Carney
Apex - R.Farah
Front-rowers - K.Snowden, K.Galloway
Second-rowers - T.Sims, G.Stewart
Middle-backrower - P.Gallen

Interchange - K.Gidley, T.Learoyd-Lahrs, T.Merrin, G.Bird

That team can frighten the Maroons. I know it can.

:lol::lol::lol:

It's hard enough to take you seriously when you pick these two ahead of Hayne, but leaving Mannah out as well? Please tell me you're just taking the piss.

Morris has Origin experience now, who's better than Morris? Hayne is not a winger, and neither has he experience of playing right-centre. As for Merrin ahead of Mannah, well Mannah did nothing in Origin, and Merrin played v.well on Thursday. The Qld front-rowers have been big recently, and Mannah isn't. He doesn't come across to me as an Origin player in any case.

Are ya gonna put a left-centre like Lawrence or Jennings over on the right?

Parra Pride

Referee
I agree Hayne isn't a winger, but that has never stopped him producing great game after great game in the Blues jumper, sonething Morris has failed to do, don't believe? Just look at his highlights.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnukLiLcgj4

And anyone with half a brain would happily tell you Mannah is one of the best props in the game, and he is still only 23, props don't hit their peak until 25+, so he is only going to get better, so to not have him in the side is just plain stupid.

Tell me you're not biased?

Yes I know Hayne has had his moments on the left wing. I'm ok with seeing Mannah in the side instead of Merrin, fine, but I'd only be happy seeing Hayne at left centre (IMO his best position). J.Hayne ahead of C.Lawrence? Not sure anymore. There's also Idris, maybe T.Williams instead of G.Bird too.