What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Parra Pride

Referee
If I was being biased I would have jumped on you for picking someone ahead of Hayne at fullback, not wing or centre, though that doesn't change the fact even some of the biggest Hayne haters going around acknowledge that he has to be in the side, he is just too good to leave out.

MacDougall

First Grade
After the Tigers v Sharks I'd say Carney really should get picked. They need to pick a team to win and he is NSW's best half by miles.

I think Aaron Woods should come into contention. He's better than Galloway, an incumbent and he will have a couple of months to outshine him and take his spot. There have been a few guys hovering around that have seemed to be overlooked just to get more games under their belt and this year is the year to unleash them imo. Guys like Grant, Fensom and Woods. I also think Farah and Ennis should both be there tbh. I reckon having the other guy in the team will inspire both of them.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Akuila Uate
3. Michael Jennings
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Jarryd Hayne (honestly he has dominated games from the wing before in Origin)
6. James Maloney
7. Todd Carney
8. Paul Gallen
9. Robbie Farah/Michael Ennis
10. Tim Grant
11. Luke Lewis
12. Tony Williams
13. Shaun Fensom

14. Aaron Woods
15. Tim Mannah
16. Tariq Sims
17. Robbie Farah/Michael Ennis

Hmmm the halves are sketchy. Carney is a lock though.

hutch

First Grade
Hayne will be in the team, so you might as well put him all of these teams. We need him, he has always performed at origin level and can play every position in the backline bar halfback.

Pazza

First Grade
Stewart
Uate
Lawrence
Jennings
Hayne
Carney
Pearce
Gallen
Farrah
TLL
Bird
Stewart/Scott
Watmough

Gidley
Mannah
Lewis
Williams

Joker's Wild

Coach
couldn't even put a dominate performance in for the all stars match.

Snowie is not fully match fit after recovering from his neck and back injury in the offseason. He will take 5-6 games to get up to speed, we will see where he is at then.

jbl31649

Juniors
Got to lock Carney in. Even with his side being average he still showed his talent in the 2nd half. His kicking game is going to be invaluable.

1. B.Stewart (was very safe under high balls in windy conditions)
2. Jennings (Like to give him as much space as possible to use that speed and foot work)
3. Lawerance
4. Hayne (More likely to make breaks or offload and support Uate, then Gaz ever could've done)
5. Uate
6. Soward or Maloney (Soward had a good kicking game on Friday, but Maloney has size)
7. Carney

# Thats my back line.

8. Mannah
9. Gidley (only cause he'll be in the squad not matter what)
10. Gallen
11. Lewis
12. Fensom
13. G.Stewart/Bird (either choice

14. TLL
15. Grant
16. Watmough
17. T-Rex or T.Simms (Prefer Simms because he could be rotated through the front row, but T-Rex is a handful and also played the fully 80min, so depends on the Props)

# Still want to see more from some of the Props. I was impressed by T-Rex's patience in not trying to force offloads. Shows his maturing into a good footballer.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
Trent Merrin had an absolute blinder on Thursday night; in 52 minutes he made 183m, 33 tackles and 25 runs. Will be interesting to see if they actually give him a proper run in SOO any time soon

RWB

Bench
Got to lock Carney in. Even with his side being average he still showed his talent in the 2nd half. His kicking game is going to be invaluable.

1. B.Stewart (was very safe under high balls in windy conditions)
2. Jennings (Like to give him as much space as possible to use that speed and foot work)
3. Lawerance
4. Hayne (More likely to make breaks or offload and support Uate, then Gaz ever could've done)
5. Uate
6. Soward or Maloney (Soward had a good kicking game on Friday, but Maloney has size)
7. Carney

# Thats my back line.

8. Mannah
9. Gidley (only cause he'll be in the squad not matter what)
10. Gallen
11. Lewis
12. Fensom
13. G.Stewart/Bird (either choice

14. TLL
15. Grant
16. Watmough
17. T-Rex or T.Simms (Prefer Simms because he could be rotated through the front row, but T-Rex is a handful and also played the fully 80min, so depends on the Props)

# Still want to see more from some of the Props. I was impressed by T-Rex's patience in not trying to force offloads. Shows his maturing into a good footballer.

Playing Maloney at 6 and Carney at 7 would just be geniused. Maloney is a far better halfback than Carney and a far better halfback than he is 5/8. Carney is a far better 5/8 than Maloney and a far better 5/8 than he is halfback.

I can't emphasise how geniused this would be.

MacDougall

First Grade
If you haven't noticed that 6 and 7 are the same position on each side of the play the ball by now then I don't know what to say to you. When pressed against the side line the dummy half is generally a centre or winger, first receiver is usually the dummy half who feeds it to the playmaker positioned on that side of the field who then commands play from there. There are no defined first or second receivers anymore unless you are the Titans.

Pazza

First Grade
Trent Merrin had an absolute blinder on Thursday night; in 52 minutes he made 183m, 33 tackles and 25 runs. Will be interesting to see if they actually give him a proper run in SOO any time soon

He also impressed in the emerging squad.

jbl31649

Juniors
If you haven't noticed that 6 and 7 are the same position on each side of the play the ball by now then I don't know what to say to you. When pressed against the side line the dummy half is generally a centre or winger, first receiver is usually the dummy half who feeds it to the playmaker positioned on that side of the field who then commands play from there. There are no defined first or second receivers anymore unless you are the Titans.

Thats why I didn't reply to his comments. Plus I'm not sure if Maloney is Left or Right footed, which would have an impacted on field placings.

Also working out combo's is something they'll find out during training. Either way I'm probably on my own with Maloney, just like what he has shown and could offer at SOO level.

Maloney is right footed and plays on the right side almost exclusively. Carney usually defends down the right side, he went everywhere in attack yesterday. I would be tempted to go with Campese and McCrone.

But too many players out of position on some of these teams. Like Jennings right-wing, Uate left-wing, Lawrence right-centre, Stewart left second-row. Just no.

hybrid_tiger

Coach

He might get 9 minutes if he is lucky. Sticky genius.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Playing Maloney at 6 and Carney at 7 would just be geniused. Maloney is a far better halfback than Carney and a far better halfback than he is 5/8. Carney is a far better 5/8 than Maloney and a far better 5/8 than he is halfback.

I can't emphasise how geniused this would be.

so you havent watched rugby league since 2004, interesting....

Latest posts