What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

aqua_duck

Coach
f**k id kill to have Dave Shillington to line up for the blues

He's ran for about 40 hit ups and 350+ yards over the opening 2 weeks. NSW desperately need to find front rowers capable of matching that output. Which is why TLL is an essential start along side Gallen

Is TLL ever not injured?

Springs

First Grade
Back row is getting increasingly tough. I can't see Tony Williams being left out of the side.

To be honest Fensom is looking like a far better defensive option than Beau Scott to me. I'd have Lewis, Stewart, Fensom starting with Williams definitely on the bench. Watmough, Sims, Leoroyd-Lahrs etc for one other bench spot. Or Sims for a bench prop.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Pointless having 2 ball players like Stewart and Lewis in the side imo, 1 would be enough. We need to smash the Qld pack in defence to stop them getting a roll on and making room for their backs.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Pointless having 2 ball players like Stewart and Lewis in the side imo, 1 would be enough. We need to smash the Qld pack in defence to stop them getting a roll on and making room for their backs.

Exactly. We can beat them in the forward packs and their dynamic play. We won't beat their halves combination there is no point trying same as their hooker. We can match them in the wingers and forwards though.

We need to build a strong squad that is capable of winning. Nothing flashy that will blow QLD out of the park (Although I'd love for it to happen). Just to get the boys over the line as much as possible and limit the amount of points QLD score. Simple as that.

1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Lawrence
4. Morris/Jennings
5. Uate

6. Carney
7. Pearce

8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. TLL
11. Williams
12. Scott
13. Lewis

14. Watmough
15. Merrin
16. Stewert
17. Bird

No need for a utility (Gidley) when you have Lewis.

By the way, (although I realise this was in jest) someone on Dragons forum said Jack Wighton is actually a centre or 5/8, something I confirmed on Wiki. Not a winger.

Springs

First Grade
Lewis has never really been a ball player for NSW only an edge runner. If they are bothed picked it would be Stewart on the right Lewis on the left and I see no problem with that. Lewis can also be used as a utility when needed.

goosie

Juniors
1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Lawrence
4. Morris/Jennings
5. Uate

6. Carney
7. Pearce

8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. TLL
11. Williams
12. Scott
13. Lewis

14. Watmough
15. Merrin
16. Stewert
17. Bird

No need for a utility (Gidley) when you have Lewis.

By the way, (although I realise this was in jest) someone on Dragons forum said Jack Wighton is actually a centre or 5/8, something I confirmed on Wiki. Not a winger.

who will be goal kicker?? and back up goal kicker?

RWB

Bench

Is there any point having one? There's not enough space and time for ball players to dominate at origin level. An argument can be made for Lewis on his overall ability but I Stewart is far more one dimensional.

Joker's Wild

Coach
lol yeah gotta agree. I think some are basing his selection on how he played on Saturday night, which was not a good indication.

Fair point re: ball playing backrowers. Stewart is the odd man out in my backrow considerations for the reason you have stated. Doesnt get dirty enough and really only offers a 2nd 5/8 option, which is really not needed at SOO level

Springs

First Grade
That is true about Glenn Stewart. Lewis in the role he has played for Australia is essential but Stewart isn't really.

I'd still have him over Bird though.

RWB

Bench
Really?

I think Bird has been one NSW best performers.

Been our best for a few years now. People get way too obsessed with club form despite QLD showing year after year that it means little if you're a proven player at origin level.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
carney for one i guess. does dugan kick??

Dugan nailed a big 40/20 on the weekend.

*edit* Sorry if you were talking about goal kicking. But yes he does that too. He was goal kicker against Melbourne in the trial and nailed them all I think. Was also the goal kicker for the Toyota Cup side in 2008.

Last edited:

skeepe

Immortal
If Paul Gallen is going to play prop, then you need Shaun Fensom at lock. No player in the NRL works harder in defence, and he regularly makes over 100m in attack as well.

He's ready.