What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I don't think QLD would like sight of TLL and the T-Rex running on to the field at the back end of the first half.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Williams is a mug, he'll be found at origin level with his low tackle count, poor technique & poor discipline.

He's the true definition of an athlete not a footballer. Whilst he's effective at club level he'll be a liability at SOO level.

Jeez this is going to be more unpopular than my opinion that we should pick a strong defensive centre on the right fringe but I just couldn't bite my tongue any longer. The next Jamal Idris

You fail.

Pazza

First Grade
Parramatta prop Tim Mannah is tipped to be one of first players picked for NSW this season. Besides captain Paul Gallen, Penrith back-rower Luke Lewis and Newcastle utility Kurt Gidley, Sin Bin has been told that Mannah is one of the few players guaranteed a place in the Blues squad. It is believed that Mannah's ability to get quick play-the-balls and his leadership skills are two of the qualities that have endeared him to NSW coach Ricky Stuart. Only recently having turned 24, Mannah is a member of the RLPA executive and is being groomed as the next Parramatta skipper after being given the captain's job when Nathan Hindmarsh was ruled out of last Monday night's match against the Warriors. After making his Origin debut in 2010, Mannah played all three matches for NSW last season and started the last two alongside Gallen in the front row. St George Illawarra's Trent Merrin, Wests Tigers Aaron Woods and Penrith's Tim Grant are other front-row contenders.
Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...p-qualities-20120315-1v8cw.html#ixzz1pEHDIw4A

Springs

First Grade
Williams is a mug, he'll be found at origin level with his low tackle count, poor technique & poor discipline.

He's the true definition of an athlete not a footballer. Whilst he's effective at club level he'll be a liability at SOO level.

Jeez this is going to be more unpopular than my opinion that we should pick a strong defensive centre on the right fringe but I just couldn't bite my tongue any longer. The next Jamal Idris

He went fine at Test level. He should be in.

RWB

Bench
It's not like he's going to be used as an 80 minute tackling machine! He'll be fine.

When the QLD forwards are tired at the back end of both halves, you don't think he's a handy option off the bench?

When we're on the QLD goal line, you wouldn't want him there running on an edge? The guy has scored a million tries from just bulldozing his way over. He's done it at both club level and International level.

Williams is an attacking weapon and far more damaging than Idris has, or ever will be. Idris is found out at club level, Williams hasn't since he moved to the backrow. Yes his defence may not be the best technique out there, or he doesn't have the biggest tackle count, but I haven't noticed him get found since he moved to the backrow.

I could handle 20 minutes off the bench despite the fact he's just as likely to knock the ball on give away a penalty and cost us a try as he is going to be a great impact player. What I can't handle is the inevitable that he will steam roll one or two players in a game and there will be a strong push for him to be put in the starting line up.

I'll predict it now, I think Sticky is too smart to pick him. He knows what he's all about and at SOO level you don't want to be picking loose players.

RWB

Bench
He did well against both the Kiwis and the Poms and their packs are no worse than Qlds

QLD have a comfortably better pack than the poms and Kiwis. Off the top of my head Graham, Roby & Blair would be the only ones I'd be picking over some of the QLD forwards.

4nations pool games don't have the same intensity as SOO. The only thing that comes close is the NRL Grand Final and if you really want to argue it the 4nations final but even then I still think it's inferior. I rate SOO as the highest level of the game. He didn't play all well in either finals last year so I don't really think form in big games sees him deserve selection.

RWB

Bench
Can't think of too many more effective bench/impact players TBH.

Tariq Sims?

Can cover both front and back row, was just as potent as Williams in attack last year with a far superior work rate, great defensive technique & much more disciplined. I'm usually against picking kids so raw but it hass been a long time since I've seen a forward that young come in and dominate like he did. Massively impressive and has a future beyond being the impact player at SOO level.

RWB

Bench
Anyone who thinks dugan wont play full back for nsw is kidding themselves.

I don't think it's that absurd, everyone wanted to see how Stewart came back from a pretty serious injury that he's suffered for a couple of years now and he's more than proven himself. I didn't see him as a viable option last year but I certainly do now and he'll be more than pushing Dugan for the fullback spot.

You fail.

The typical fan you meet at the pub, too thick to put an coherent argument together.

Woods is the goods, probably still a little to green atm, good to hear he's in the frame though. Better than the prospect of Josh Perry or Jason King getting another game.

Gidley an automatic choice, still. FFS

Best bench option we have, unless Craig Wing signs for an NRL club sometime soon. Shame we've got no depth in the hooking department.

gUt

Coach
Tariq Sims?

Can cover both front and back row, was just as potent as Williams in attack last year with a far superior work rate, great defensive technique & much more disciplined. I'm usually against picking kids so raw but it hass been a long time since I've seen a forward that young come in and dominate like he did. Massively impressive and has a future beyond being the impact player at SOO level.

You might be right, but whereas Williams has form on the board, Tariq is still a Sims.

Lambretta

First Grade
1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce / Maloney
8. Snowden
9. Ennis
10 Gallen
11 Watmough
12 G Stewart
13 Campese

14 Mannah
15 T Williams
16 Bird
17 Gidley

Logic - for years NSW have taken the field with one ball player and occasionally two. Whenever NSW has the ball QLD know where to group defenders because one pass and the catcher runs the ball. Every time they take the hit up and try a fast play the ball. That's been their only tactic for 6 years. Name the number of quality second rowers that NSW has put up against the Queensland defence and look what happened to the NSW attack.

We need something MORE to defeat Queensland. Screw matching them, let's f**king run rings round them. We need cool heads, great passing ability and fast feet. Queensland has always used this combination to defeat NSW and it's about time we woke up to the fact.

Thurston, Lockyer, Cronk etc can all run at the line, pass late and keep the ball moving to find fast runners in space. We find a runner and run at a defender. It's too f**king simple to win us games.

Firstly we needs Carney. He is fast on his feet, difficult to tackle and can make the spectacular look easy. We need speedy outside backs. Jennings, Uate, Hayne and Lawrence fit the bill. Carney is not an organiser, he needs to play alongside someone who does the percentage things well. Pearce is a dogged defender, but Maloney is a classier player. I'd be tempted to go with Carney and Maloney, but they've never played together before, so maybe Pearce is the best option.

But to beat Queensland we need more ball players. I'd actually play Campese in the lock forward position - playing the same role that Fittler played when Johns and Daley were in the halves. He is big and strong, can pass and gives us another kicking option. He also has a really good relationship with Dugan and that could be the key for NSW in the same way that Slater makes things happen for QLD off of Cronk and Smith.

The rest pretty much picks itself with Tony Williams getting a bench spot and Bird getting the nod over Lewis.... just.

I've always wanted a club coach to change the lock position againt, and have a large playmaker like Campese playing there. I just can't see it happening with all the wrestling that goes on in the ruck

gUt

Coach
Lewis is a ballplaying lock, as is Stewart.

Barring injuries to those guys Campese is in at 5/8 or not at all imo.

RWB

Bench
1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce / Maloney
8. Snowden
9. Ennis
10 Gallen
11 Watmough
12 G Stewart
13 Campese

14 Mannah
15 T Williams
16 Bird
17 Gidley

Logic - for years NSW have taken the field with one ball player and occasionally two. Whenever NSW has the ball QLD know where to group defenders because one pass and the catcher runs the ball. Every time they take the hit up and try a fast play the ball. That's been their only tactic for 6 years. Name the number of quality second rowers that NSW has put up against the Queensland defence and look what happened to the NSW attack.

We need something MORE to defeat Queensland. Screw matching them, let's f**king run rings round them. We need cool heads, great passing ability and fast feet. Queensland has always used this combination to defeat NSW and it's about time we woke up to the fact.

Thurston, Lockyer, Cronk etc can all run at the line, pass late and keep the ball moving to find fast runners in space. We find a runner and run at a defender. It's too f**king simple to win us games.

Firstly we needs Carney. He is fast on his feet, difficult to tackle and can make the spectacular look easy. We need speedy outside backs. Jennings, Uate, Hayne and Lawrence fit the bill. Carney is not an organiser, he needs to play alongside someone who does the percentage things well. Pearce is a dogged defender, but Maloney is a classier player. I'd be tempted to go with Carney and Maloney, but they've never played together before, so maybe Pearce is the best option.

But to beat Queensland we need more ball players. I'd actually play Campese in the lock forward position - playing the same role that Fittler played when Johns and Daley were in the halves. He is big and strong, can pass and gives us another kicking option. He also has a really good relationship with Dugan and that could be the key for NSW in the same way that Slater makes things happen for QLD off of Cronk and Smith.

The rest pretty much picks itself with Tony Williams getting a bench spot and Bird getting the nod over Lewis.... just.

Couldn't disagree more Lambretta.

State of origin is all about discipline, control and go forward. When we were dominant from 03-05 it was on the back of hard working backrowers and genuine metre eating props. Who were our last starting props in a winning series? For those who don't know it was Ryles & Bailey

Whether you rate them or not you can't deny both are genuine workers who have consistently averaged well over 100m every season even up until today. Why they were dropped for Kite & Mason in 2006 I'll never know. It's really quite simple you pick starting props who make metres, QLD have been doing it for the past 6 years. Steve Price averaged well in excess of 150m nearly every season, Civo the same, Hannant, Shillington, Scott you all get the drift. You'll never see QLD pick a backrower (Mason & Fitzgibbon) to start in the front row, or a Josh Perry/Brett White who at club level couldn't even average decent go forward.

Sticky has thankfully gone back to this simple formula. He starts Gallen who plays middle third at club level, don't think I need to remind everyone of how good his go forward is at club level and Mannah who is consistently one of the top metre eaters in the NRL (unfortunately he's probably still a little raw).

Anyway onto the backrowers, same story our success was built around workers like Craig Fitzgibbon, Ben Kennedy, Nathan Hindmarsh, Steve Simpson & Andrew Ryan. Losing Fitzy and Kennedy from the 2005 to 2006 series was a HUGE blow. Not picking Fitzy was criminal. There's nothing fancy about these blokes just like there's nothing fancy about Nate Myles, Ashley Harrison, Corey Parker, Dallas Johnson & Sam Thaiday. They make their meters, they make their tackles and they just don't stop.

SOO is a war of nutrition, trying to play an attacking style off footy will just see us get our arses handed to us for the 7th year in a row. There were some promising signs last year and Sticky is the right man to take us forward.

Latest posts