What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

RABK

Referee
6. Mullen
7. Pearce

They played a lot of junior rep together, they compliment each other very well. I think Stuart is sold on Pearce as NSW's long term 7. I think the 6 is up for grabs. Mullen always has his haters but he is the form NSW 6, he's come up against the top 4 sides in the comp in the first 5 rounds and walked off one of the best 5 players on ground each time.

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Soward is too one dimensional, he's not running the ball enough and all he has is that long cut out pass to the winger.

His kicking game is handy but it was underwhelming last year in SOO

mongoose

Coach
So we got..

Pearce
Carney
Mullen
Campese
Maloney
Soward
Walsh
Wallace
Moltzen (lol)

The halves will come from the top 4 IMO. I think Soward is on the outer and Wallace has already had his chance. I cant see them throwing in someone new again like Maloney or Walsh. Carney is the only debutant they will consider.

RABK

Referee
I like Hayne at right centre. I've heard talk that he is only effective on the left side but i think that's rubbish - i recall plenty of Hayne magic either side of the ground.

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Hayne
5. Uate
6. Mullen
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Buderus
10. Mannah
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Stewart

14. Gidley
15. Watmough
16. Merrin
17. Williams

I think this is my side on form with a couple of players deserving of auto selection (Hayne, Stewart, Bird, Watmough)

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
I always cringe when naming an Origin side and i have to omit Mick Gordon - that guy could be NSW's best player at fullback if he had some luck with injuries, his 2011 form was excellent.

typicalfan

Coach
I like Hayne at right centre. I've heard talk that he is only effective on the left side but i think that's rubbish - i recall plenty of Hayne magic either side of the ground.

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Hayne
5. Uate
6. Mullen
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Buderus
10. Mannah
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Stewart

14. Gidley
15. Watmough
16. Merrin
17. Williams

I think this is my side on form with a couple of players deserving of auto selection (Hayne, Stewart, Bird, Watmough)

Put Hayne one on one with a guy bigger, stronger and who leaves his best for this arena? not a fan, he would be neutralised. Inglis would toy with him like he does everyone else. Put Hayne on the left so he can cause havoc

Raider_69

Post Whore

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Hayne
5. Uate
6. Mullen
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Buderus
10. Mannah
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Stewart

14. Gidley
15. Watmough
16. Merrin
17. Williams

7-0 with that side imo
the play makers dont have enough in them to beat QLD

Mind you i dont think ive seen a side named yet that i looked at and thought we were a good chance. But that side no chance imo. The forwards can match it (though i cant see how Mannah makes the team on this years form and TLL is ommitted), the backs look good (except morris, wtf?) but their isnt enough creativity or form in the spine to beat QLD

worth noting Dugan will be shy of match fitness by origin 1 and i dont think they should pick him unless he's had a few weeks back

God-King Dean

Immortal
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd have Gidley at hooker. No fancy stuff, just a fit player who will give quick ball.

RABK

Referee
What's TLL done? 40m of the bench every game? Shillo was a one many army in the Raiders front row to start this year.

Mannah showed enough last year to deserve some loyalty and he has been okay despite Parra's woeful form.

I think Hayne has enough speed and footwork to give Inglis just as many headaches as he could pose Hayne. Jennings is a must at left centre so no to Hayne there.

Raider - i am not going to enter any playmaker argument with you. Unless a half has played for Canberra he's not worthy of a Blues jersey to you. Pearce and Mullen offer plenty to trouble QLD with across the board. Soward and Carney are the only other two halves i'd consider.

I'd be happy for them to stick with Soward and Pearce.

Raider_69

Post Whore
TLL is about the only front row forward for NSW who can match it with QLD. Gallen TLL are the states two best front rowers. TLL is going great this year, his injuries are the biggest concern but if he's healthy there is no doubt he's a better front rower than Mannah
I like Merrin though, quality player, i think between Merrin, TLL and Gallen, we could match the front row battle. Especially with Watmong on the bench who never shirks the tough stuff in the middle

As for play makers, ive never said anything about canberra, in fact im on record as saying the Campese talk is ridiculous. Your issue with my opinion is more to do with newcastle than it does canberra. I think you've got the newcastle blinkers on and get annoyed that i dont think Mullen is an Origin standard player. If your not mature enough to debate the matter without resorting to childish exaggerations then perhaps its best you dont engage in discussions about it

FTR my halves would be Carney-Soward. And like yourself would see the sense is retaining Pearce and Soward. No NSW half is really putting their hand up yet. Id pick carney simply because he's the best in the state at his best. He would give us some serious strike power in the halves. The other pairings ive seen lack an x-factor.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
I don't see why Jennings can't play right centre. He has footwork and speed as much as Hayne does. In fact someone a little more fleet with their footwork could be the answer to Inglis, we have already tried guys who are big but not as big and they get owned.

I would avoid Inglis v Hayne as much as possible.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I dont see why any of our centres, including Hayne, should be "avoiding" Inglis. If they are good enough to be in the Origin side then they are good enough to take on anyone who opposes them

typicalfan

Coach
I dont see why any of our centres, including Hayne, should be "avoiding" Inglis. If they are good enough to be in the Origin side then they are good enough to take on anyone who opposes them
You think the NSW coach won't think of likely match ups when selecting their side? Hayne would be a handful for almost everyone but I think Hayne on Inglis is a poor match up.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I fail to see why anyone else would be any better. We have used different style centres against him in the past and you wouldnt call any of them a success

Gasnier
Monaghan
Lyon
Morris
Tahu
Scott

Hayne could not do any worse than them

Louiethefly

Juniors
I reckon a good side for game 1 would be

1. Stewart (Dugan if fit)
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Hayne
5. Uate
6. Soward
7. Pearce
8. Mannah
9. Buderus
10. Gallen
11. Stewart
12. Watmough
13. Bird

14. Gidley
15. Lewis
16. Merrin
17. Weyman

No one is demanding Soward's position at 5/8th and I think he deserves his spot for game 1. Brett Morris form at fullback this year has been great, and I can't think of any other left wingers playing better than he is. As someone said earlier. I can't think of any right centres knocking on the door either, so Hayne gets that spot. Weyman has been playing extremely well this year, maybe he deserves another chance at a blue jumper too (would be an improvement on 'Big Keefy').

Spanner in the works

First Grade
A few little changes to my side:

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Wallace
10. Tolman
11. Scott
12. Lewis
13. Bird

14. TLL
15. Douglas
16. Mannah/Merrin
17. Gidley

I:
  • Dropped Dugan. He's injured all the time, has serious attitude issues, and I don't think he is playing that well.
  • Carney is my 5/8. Has that amazing combination with Pearce and is one of the few players who can match it with Queensland in the creativity stakes.
  • Wallace at hooker. Seriously. He is a star at hooker whenever he ends up there and I'm not sure why it happens. Great service, great defence and he just seems to play better there than anywhere else. I think he can be a better option than Farah, Ennis or Gidley. I'd pick Buderus but what would be the point?
  • Dropped Fensom due to injury. A shame. He has to be picked at 13 for games 1 and 2 in my opinion.
  • TLL back. He tore shreds off Queensland last time he played, and he wasn't bad in any of the games previous.
  • Douglas in. I like him. He's always had a big ticker and there isn't much crap in his game. I prefer him to Snowden.
  • Mannah or Merrin. Not sure which. Merrin is looking twice the player he was last season, while Mannah has been good and stayed good for the last couple of years. Take your pick.

Latest posts