What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Parra Pride

Referee
After the game against Manly surely Stuart has to at least consider Hayne as the fullback, I mean seriously 202 metres, 2 trys, 1 try assist, 1 line break and he was pretty much running on one leg.

Louiethefly

Juniors
The problem with Morris is that he has never reproduced his great club form in Origin.

Thats true, but I'd rather pick Morris when he is playing like he is on the left wing than move Hayne there just to play Lawrence (who isn't playing nearly as well as Morris) out of position at right centre.

The reason most people don't rate Morris as a rep winger is because in the last couple of years he seemed to be lazy, only interested in finishing set pieces and wasn't inclined to get into the rough stuff in the beginning of each set.

I think towards the end of last year (Finals series) and especially this year he has shown a lot of heart and has improved that side of his game dramatically. (For instance, he broke his leg in the final against Brisbane last year, but even after that the ball was kicked to his wing and he jumped to make a great catch which probably saved a try or a repeat set.)

To me, Morris seems like a much matured player and I think he would prove his doubters wrong if he was given the opportunity again. Plus, we don't really have any better options.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
After the game against Manly surely Stuart has to at least consider Hayne as the fullback, I mean seriously 202 metres, 2 trys, 1 try assist, 1 line break and he was pretty much running on one leg.

1 game mate. Brett Stewart has done plenty this year too.

Hayne should be in the team purely for his previous performances for the Blues.

Parra Pride

Referee
1 game mate. Brett Stewart has done plenty this year too.

Hayne should be in the team purely for his previous performances for the Blues.

That's why I said considered and not picked, but knowing Stuart he will name Dugan at fullback without considering Stewart or Hayne

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
When picking a side, you need to choose players that compliment other players in the team well pending on your game plan.

For example. You want to play an up tempo game through the middle. Hookers take control of the play the ball. They have the best advantage after a quick play the ball so you want forwards who have quick play the balls(Tim Mannah is very quick) and you want the hooker that can take advantage of this the best(hard for me to judge on this at the moment)

Or, you want to play an expansive game, you need bigger forwards to suck in more defenders. You then want a hooker that can distribute the ball out wide quickly so it can get out to the fringes.

It's all about selecting players that will give your strike players the best opportunity to strike.

Food for thought.

jbl31649

Juniors
You think the NSW coach won't think of likely match ups when selecting their side? Hayne would be a handful for almost everyone but I think Hayne on Inglis is a poor match up.

You don't pick sides based on what the opposition is or might do. We pick our best players and work out whats best.

chrisD

Coach
Weyman has been far far better this season than many of the props being spoken about here.

Lawrence shouldn't be in consideration.

Problem with not playing Hayne at wing is B.Morris then has the wing, and he's always been a non performer in SOO even when his club form has been hot.

Scott playing at center should lose him his SOO spot, not particularly fair but it's how it should go.

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. J.Morris
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Gidley
10. Weyman
11. Stewart
12. Lewis
13. Bird

14. Mannah
15. Watmough
16. T.Sims/Williams
17. Tolman/Grant/Merrin/Snowden/TLL/someone needs to step up

Assuming Gordon won't make it and Stuart will not pick Hayne at FB.

timka4

Bench
Lawrence might be a bit down on form, but surely he can't be replaced by J Morris. Lawrence has been a shoe in for 2 years now. Just because he has a few bad games he shouldn't be dropped from the side. He'll return to form if he is selected imo.

Raider_69

Post Whore
A few little changes to my side:

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Wallace
10. Tolman
11. Scott
12. Lewis
13. Bird

14. TLL
15. Douglas
16. Mannah/Merrin
17. Gidley

I:
  • Dropped Dugan. He's injured all the time, has serious attitude issues, and I don't think he is playing that well.
  • Carney is my 5/8. Has that amazing combination with Pearce and is one of the few players who can match it with Queensland in the creativity stakes.
  • Wallace at hooker. Seriously. He is a star at hooker whenever he ends up there and I'm not sure why it happens. Great service, great defence and he just seems to play better there than anywhere else. I think he can be a better option than Farah, Ennis or Gidley. I'd pick Buderus but what would be the point?
  • Dropped Fensom due to injury. A shame. He has to be picked at 13 for games 1 and 2 in my opinion.
  • TLL back. He tore shreds off Queensland last time he played, and he wasn't bad in any of the games previous.
  • Douglas in. I like him. He's always had a big ticker and there isn't much crap in his game. I prefer him to Snowden.
  • Mannah or Merrin. Not sure which. Merrin is looking twice the player he was last season, while Mannah has been good and stayed good for the last couple of years. Take your pick.

thats about the best team ive seen named and gives me some hope that we can give QLD a run

typicalfan

Coach
You don't pick sides based on what the opposition is or might do. We pick our best players and work out whats best.
No you pick the players that have the best chance of winning and in the positions they will perform best in. The opposition will dictate some of those selections especially guys like Smith, Slater and Inglis

RHCP

Bench
Good looking side spanner, I'd find a spot for Watmough though.

Wallace in 9 is certainly an interesting prospect, has he ever started a FG game there though? It would be a huge risk to throw him in there first time in an Origin game. They did with Joey I guess, but Johns was a very special player. Still, he has all the traits of a good hooker and gives an extra kicking option.

Jono078

Referee
He played maybe half or a quarter of a season at #9 for the Panthers I'm pretty sure?

I think my team as of now is looking like this;

1 Josh Dugan
2 Akuila Uate
3 Michael Jennings
4 Josh Morris
5 Jarryd Hayne
6 Jamie Soward
7 Jarrod Mullen - Honestly I don't care though, I think we can pick from a number of halfbacks and it won't be a massive difference.
8 Kade Snowden
9 Danny Buderus
10 Tim Mannah
11 Luke Lewis
12 Greg Bird
13 Paul Gallen (c)
--
14 Trent Merrin
15 Aiden Tolman / Keith Galloway
16 Anthony Watmough
17 Kurt Gidley - Will come on for Buderus or Dugan when he gets hurt.

Tony Williams will have to prove his fitness for game 2.

boonboon

Juniors
Tigers fan here just to expose my bias but Lawrence should be no chance given how he has played so far this year . Galloway will come back from injury next week and should be a chance.

Woods has been a standout in a poor team - he has just been lumped in with Groat in our bad form but actually has been great individually

No other tigers a chance

Raider_69

Post Whore
lawerence has played himself out of contention in the opening rounds
very disappointing. Croker absolute carved him up

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I'd pick Lawrence. He's good enough for Origin, and despite his form I think he is a better option than pretty much everyone else. It's not time to pick the sides yet anyway.

Good looking side spanner, I'd find a spot for Watmough though.

Wallace in 9 is certainly an interesting prospect, has he ever started a FG game there though? It would be a huge risk to throw him in there first time in an Origin game. They did with Joey I guess, but Johns was a very special player. Still, he has all the traits of a good hooker and gives an extra kicking option.

As Jono said I think he has played there a little bit for the Panthers, and I've seen him do it for periods with the Broncos. I'd pick him because I think he is good enough for it. Maybe test him in City Country first, but I think he has the toughness for it, and he definitely has the skills for it.

Watmough has always been a bit overrated to me in Origin. He had one massive game, but since then I haven't seen anything that has overly impressed. Not saying he has played poorly, I'd just go with someone else.

Tommax25

Bench
That's why I said considered and not picked, but knowing Stuart he will name Dugan at fullback without considering Stewart or Hayne

I would bet my life Staurt will pick Dugan, coming back from injury irrelevant. He loves Dugan. Should be Hayne or Stuart but meh.

andrew057

First Grade
Lawrence might be a bit down on form, but surely he can't be replaced by J Morris. Lawrence has been a shoe in for 2 years now. Just because he has a few bad games he shouldn't be dropped from the side. He'll return to form if he is selected imo.

A few bad games? The guys been deadset woeful all season, you just couldn't pick him