What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

typicalfan

Coach
Jennings needs to be the first outside back picked imo. Reward his good origin form last year. He starred despite being average at club level last year, shows he is a class player and belongs in origin. He has been on fire this year in a mediocre team. Hayne will be an option but I don't think he is an automatic selection.

Jono078

Referee
Id be alright with

6 Carney
7 Pearce

As mentioned they got the Roosters to the GF, they have familiarity, could go well!

I just don't think Sowards done anything to be dropped and Carney hasn't been THAT good. Mullen's been better.

Id love to see Campese get back to his end of year from from a couple seasons ago though.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Revised NSW side (at this point):

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Akuila Uate
6. Jamie Soward
7. Mitchell Pearce
13. Luke Lewis
12. Anthony Watmough
11. Beau Scott
10. Tim Mannah
9. Robbie Farah
8. Paul Gallen (c)

14. Mitch Aubusson
15. Greg Bird
16. Trent Merrin
17. Kade Snowden

I'd take either Stewart or Dugan at FB, with Hayne to the wing over Morris. I'm not writing Lawrence off either. Still a few weeks to find some form. JMoz has been bloody good though and would have to be the front runner. Soward was crap last night but has been pretty good in our previous games. Carney is definitely applying pressure, and I think he will get the nod. Unlike last year, Ben Creagh has been pretty poor for us, so I'll bow to the legion of haters. Merrin, Snowden, and Mannah are the best young props in NSW, and should all get another go (and be given more than 20-30 mins each this time). Watmough, Lewis, Scott, and Bird have all done the job previously. Aubusson is the best of the young back rowers if Tariq Sims isn't available. We don't need a reserve hooker. And we especially don't need Gidley (but I know he'll be picked).

Raider_69

Post Whore
TLL another HUGE game this week
if we want to match Shillington and the QLD pack, Gallen needs TLL's help

chrisD

Coach
He's not picking Hayne at fb so there's no point naming him, it comes down to which Morris brother you drop to put Hayne at wing or centre.

typicalfan

Coach
Some might disagree but Mini could be in the mix as well for fullback. He has been good in a poor Roosters side while Hayne, Dugan and Gordon are battling injuries and B Stewart hasn't found his mojo yet.

I don't like B Morris at fullback, he has been bad enough for NSW on the wing

Raider_69

Post Whore
Not mini after game 3 last year, that was his last origin game
is that fair to his career? probably not but by the time we all forget it and move on from it he will be well retired.
arguably the worst individual origin performance of all time

user_nat

Coach
Is Mini even eligible anymore? Played for Italy last year..

Probably wouldn't be an issue getting around that though.

Clifferd

Coach
I'm quite divided regarding Wallace or Pearce. Wallace on form, but Pearce for the sake of combinations with Carney or Soward at five eight.

I am a big Lawrence fan, but his form is horrid, his defence not worthy of the jersey.

I'm tempted to suggest bringing Aaron Woods in on the bench, but it will be interesting to see if Galloway finds form.

Funny you say that about Lawrences defence, I thought that's been his only strong point this year. Sure he missed a few crucial tackles on hodges but I also saw him put in some hard hits and some quality hit ups forwards should be doing. The thought of that horrific hip injury probably still haunts him a bit, but I'm 100% certain we haven't seen the best of him yet

typicalfan

Coach
Mini did have an unfortunate game 3 but he did have a brilliant game 2. I personally wouldn't have him as my first choice but I would pick him over Brett Morris.

sputneek

Juniors
I wouldn't pick Mini, shouldn't even be in contention behind Stewart, Hayne, Dugan, Gidley, B Morris (in that order) and probably more. Idolise him to death though.

D

Deleted member 10972

Just a few points:

- Gallen needs to play prop. Initially I was against this idea, but once you realize that NSW has much better depth in the backrow then we do at prop, it makes much more sense to shift him up front

- Akuila Uate, Jarryd Hayne, Michael Jennings, Greg Bird, Luke Lewis, G Stewart and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs should all be DEFINITE selections at all times, having proven themselves at Origin level before; Kurt Gidley should NOT be a 'definite' selection

- guys like Hoffman, Buderus, Matt King, etc are not worth going back to IMO

That said...

1. Hayne OR B Stewart/Dugan
2. B Morris OR Hayne
3. ???
4. Jennings
5. Uate
6. ???
7. Pearce/Wallace
8. Gallen
9. Farah/Ennis
10. Learoyd-Lahrs
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. G Stewart

Vacant centre spot will be selected from Josh Morris, Chris Lawrence, Beau Scott (as a defensive option) and maybe Blake Ferguson, Jarrod Croker or Blake Ayshford as smokies.

Five-eighth spot comes down to Campese, Carney, Maloney, Soward or Mullen.

Bench spots could be a lot of people. Gidley obviously comes into the mix as a utility, then you have backrowers Tariq Sims, Tony Williams, Beau Scott, Anthony Watmough, Ben Creagh, and props Trent Merrin, Tim Mannah, Michael Weyman, Dan Hunt, and the now eligible James Tamou.

glockers

Juniors
I really think Hayne should be at fullback, it is where he plays best.

1. Hayne
2. B Morris
3. J Morris
4. Jennings
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
13. Lewis
12. G Stewart
11. Mateo
10. Gallen
9. Farah
8. Learoyd Lahrs

14. Mannah (Galloway if he finds form)
15. Woods
16. Snowden
17. Bird

Three props on the bench because:

1. Gallen and Learoyd Lahrs can both go into the back row if needed
2. Lewis and Stewart can play 80 minutes

Dragon2010

First Grade
You don't want to much chop and change. We need to keep some consistency the point of starting two new halves is pointless.

Carney is my best bet for 6 and with that comes Pearce. For obvious reasons:
1) He has played Origin so it's not 2 new halves rather just one
2) Carney and Peace have played together before so they know each other more and have some experience together outside of the Origin arena that will be a good head start.

I have no doubt those two halves can get the job done. They will work well together as they did at the Roosters. The position I still have a (?) on is the hooker position. While I was originally all for Bedsy no one is really setting the world on fire and demanding the position. Between Bedsy, Ennis and Farrah whom else do we really have?

And Yes, I agree TLL should be there 100%. The guy is a gun and plays very similar to Gallen. We need him.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
You don't want to much chop and change. We need to keep some consistency the point of starting two new halves is pointless.

Carney is my best bet for 6 and with that comes Pearce. For obvious reasons:
1) He has played Origin so it's not 2 new halves rather just one
2) Carney and Peace have played together before so they know each other more and have some experience together outside of the Origin arena that will be a good head start.

I have no doubt those two halves can get the job done. They will work well together as they did at the Roosters. The position I still have a (?) on is the hooker position. While I was originally all for Bedsy no one is really setting the world on fire and demanding the position. Between Bedsy, Ennis and Farrah whom else do we really have?

And Yes, I agree TLL should be there 100%. The guy is a gun and plays very similar to Gallen. We need him.
*Cough... Wallace... Cough Cough*

Latest posts