What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Spot On

Coach
I wouldn't pick Mini, shouldn't even be in contention behind Stewart, Hayne, Dugan, Gidley, B Morris (in that order) and probably more. Idolise him to death though.

I'm with you. If he was instructed to fill the fullback role only - ie reurn the ball at his absolute best - then he goes well. He should not however be allowed to have a role in backline movements or trailing up waiting for the inside ball as his handling is atrocious.

Spot On

Coach
Just a few points:

- Gallen needs to play prop. Initially I was against this idea, but once you realize that NSW has much better depth in the backrow then we do at prop, it makes much more sense to shift him up front

- Akuila Uate, Jarryd Hayne, Michael Jennings, Greg Bird, Luke Lewis, G Stewart and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs should all be DEFINITE selections at all times, having proven themselves at Origin level before; Kurt Gidley should NOT be a 'definite' selection

- guys like Hoffman, Buderus, Matt King, etc are not worth going back to IMO

That said...

1. Hayne OR B Stewart/Dugan
2. B Morris OR Hayne
3. ???
4. Jennings
5. Uate
6. ???
7. Pearce/Wallace
8. Gallen
9. Farah/Ennis
10. Learoyd-Lahrs
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. G Stewart

Vacant centre spot will be selected from Josh Morris, Chris Lawrence, Beau Scott (as a defensive option) and maybe Blake Ferguson, Jarrod Croker or Blake Ayshford as smokies.

Five-eighth spot comes down to Campese, Carney, Maloney, Soward or Mullen.

Bench spots could be a lot of people. Gidley obviously comes into the mix as a utility, then you have backrowers Tariq Sims, Tony Williams, Beau Scott, Anthony Watmough, Ben Creagh, and props Trent Merrin, Tim Mannah, Michael Weyman, Dan Hunt, and the now eligible James Tamou.

And yet he is the coaches second pick. Go figure.

mxlegend99

Referee
My side would be:

1. Brett Stewart / Josh Dugan / Brett Morris (depending on form/fitness)
2. Blake Fergusson
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Akuila Uate
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Paul Gallen (c)
9. Peter Wallace
10. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Greg Bird
13. Luke Lewis

14. Tim Mannah
15. Trent Merrin
16. Tariq Sims
17. Ryan Hinchcliffe

Fullback is wide open at the moment. Brett Stewart isn't really firing and Josh Dugan hasn't really played much this season. While Brett Morris is going well. Brett Morris would be a last resort for fullback... he has played great footy at club level on the wing before and still played like shit when picked for NSW. Not sure it would be any different at fullback, but he hasn't sucked it up there yet and the alternatives aren't much better.

Blake Fergusson on the wing is a risky selection, but the guy can do some freakish stuff and an Origin jersey might bring out the best of that in him. On the left wing with a fit and firing Michael Jennings inside of him, I think it could be a very lethal combination for NSW.

Michael Jennings and Akuila Uate have performed well for NSW in the past, and are played well enough at the moment with no pressure from anyone else to lose their positions.

Jarryd Hayne is a must for the team, while there are no real standouts for a right centre spot. Hayne has performed well in several positions in Origin, and couldn't possibly do any worse then the alternatives at right centre. Also it gives us a pretty big right side pairing with a couple of fast and strong fijiian players.

Todd Carney is the best half NSW have, and given he is playing well at the moment and not banned/dropped he should be picked.

Mitchell Pearce is pretty average IMO, but he has a former combination with Carney and in all honesty there just aren't any standout halfbacks for NSW anyway.

I went with Peter Wallace at hooker, and Ryan Hinchliffe on the bench as I don't think that either one of Ennis or Farah are playing anywhere near Origin quality footy. Wallace has played some decent footy at hooker and was also good in his games for NSW before being disgarded. Meanwhile Ryan Hinchcliffe is playing in an undefeated side behind the best hooker in the world and would know his game better then anyone.

Forwards IMO basically pick themselves for the most part.

My side would be:

2. Blake Fergusson
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Akuila Uate
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Paul Gallen (c)
9. Peter Wallace
10. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Greg Bird
13. Luke Lewis

14. Tim Mannah
15. Trent Merrin
16. Tariq Sims
17. Ryan Hinchcliffe

Yes please.
As a QLDER i pray for it..
As a footy fan i just dont get it.
Quite possibly the most overated player in years..
Stocks for no7 might be low ,but jesus there is far better than him available.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Like who Phil?

We cant change both of the halves imo, its either 1 or the other so some consistency can be built. Pearce and Carney would be my ideal combo given the options as I think Pearce offers more than Soward at this time

Raider_69

Post Whore
My side would be:

2. Blake Fergusson
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Akuila Uate
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Paul Gallen (c)
9. Peter Wallace
10. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Greg Bird
13. Luke Lewis

14. Tim Mannah
15. Trent Merrin
16. Tariq Sims
17. Ryan Hinchcliffe

Fullback is wide open at the moment. Brett Stewart isn't really firing and Josh Dugan hasn't really played much this season. While Brett Morris is going well. Brett Morris would be a last resort for fullback... he has played great footy at club level on the wing before and still played like shit when picked for NSW. Not sure it would be any different at fullback, but he hasn't sucked it up there yet and the alternatives aren't much better.

Blake Fergusson on the wing is a risky selection, but the guy can do some freakish stuff and an Origin jersey might bring out the best of that in him. On the left wing with a fit and firing Michael Jennings inside of him, I think it could be a very lethal combination for NSW.

Michael Jennings and Akuila Uate have performed well for NSW in the past, and are played well enough at the moment with no pressure from anyone else to lose their positions.

Jarryd Hayne is a must for the team, while there are no real standouts for a right centre spot. Hayne has performed well in several positions in Origin, and couldn't possibly do any worse then the alternatives at right centre. Also it gives us a pretty big right side pairing with a couple of fast and strong fijiian players.

Todd Carney is the best half NSW have, and given he is playing well at the moment and not banned/dropped he should be picked.

Mitchell Pearce is pretty average IMO, but he has a former combination with Carney and in all honesty there just aren't any standout halfbacks for NSW anyway.

I went with Peter Wallace at hooker, and Ryan Hinchliffe on the bench as I don't think that either one of Ennis or Farah are playing anywhere near Origin quality footy. Wallace has played some decent footy at hooker and was also good in his games for NSW before being disgarded. Meanwhile Ryan Hinchcliffe is playing in an undefeated side behind the best hooker in the world and would know his game better then anyone.

Forwards IMO basically pick themselves for the most part.

I dont mind the idea of wallace and hinchy sharing the hooker duties. Im not sold on Pearce but i struggle to find a better option, Soward at halfback could work imo. If Campese/Mullen play lights out in country origin, maybe they could partner carney.

all in all, its not a bad team imo

League_God

Juniors
1.Brett Stewart
2.Brett Morris
3.Josh Morris
4.Michael Jennings
5.Aku Uate
6.Todd Carney
7.Mitchell Pearce
8.Paul Gallen
9.Danny Buderus
10.Michael Weyman
11.Tom Leah-Royd Lahs
12.Luke Lewis
13.Greg Bird

14.Jarrod Mullen
15.Tony Williams
16.Tariq Sims
17.Anthony Watmough

timka4

Bench
Pearce will be selected in the 7 jumper, if we lose the first two games and he plays average in both, I think sticky will try blood someone else in the dead rubber, but Pearce will be halfback for at least game 1 and 2 imo.

I also think Sticky for 5/8 will go Carney or Mullen or Campese on an outer chance. Soward and Maloney I don't think will be selected.

I would take the chance on Chris Lawrence and pick him. Ricky said he would have been the first centre picked last year but for injury. Yes his form is a bit down at the moment but I feel he would lift in the big games. Still think at his best he is the best hole runner outside back we have and he is good at setting up his winger.

timka4

Bench
Agreed, I still think Jennings and Lawrence will be and should be the centre pairings. As long as he doesn't throw B Morris on the wing over Hayne we will have a very strong backline.

mxlegend99

Referee
I would take the chance on Chris Lawrence and pick him. Ricky said he would have been the first centre picked last year but for injury. Yes his form is a bit down at the moment but I feel he would lift in the big games. Still think at his best he is the best hole runner outside back we have and he is good at setting up his winger.
IMO he never really looked all that great in big games when playing for Australia. That's not to say that he was bad... but I don't think he was good enough to warrant selection despite terrible club form.

Although I was against Michael Jennings being picked last year because of his form for the Panthers... but he did play extremely well in City vs Country and he fired up for NSW aswell. But it turned out that his issue last year was his attitude... he didn't really give a shit about his club footy and it showed. With rep games he fired up and was closer to his potential.

I wouldn't be upset if Chris Lawrence or Josh Morris was picked out of position at right centre. But neither is playing good enough to move Jennings out of position, and we have Jarryd Hayne who always fires up for Origin games. He was strong in the centres last year, and he adds a bit more versatility if injuries strike. Between him and Lewis you have a quality replacement for every position in the 1-13 except the front row.

timka4

Bench
Lawrence was playing a lot of his footy for Australia at right centre, which is obviously out of position for him and I still thought he did a good job. Definitely better than what other centres would have performed.

I've never really seen Jennings play right centre, but I've heard he has had exp playing right centre, was he any good?

Joker's Wild

Coach
Hayne is injured and clearly needs either an extended rest period or WCS surgery. I dont think we can count on him being fit for SOO 1

The Gambler

Juniors
I'd be surprised if Lawrence gets picked to be honest. His form has been down, and all reports suggest he is carrying a hamstring and shoulder injury.

He is still a smart player and has created a few tries for his outside men this year, but his own running game has been a bit down thus far - he is also yet to cross the stripe.

Hooch

Juniors
Like who Phil?

We cant change both of the halves imo, its either 1 or the other so some consistency can be built. Pearce and Carney would be my ideal combo given the options as I think Pearce offers more than Soward at this time

Pearce is one of the few players in the NSW side who has been given an extended opportunity. His showing last year was dreadful.

If he's in form and we want a defensive, hopefully reliable halfback then we can pick him. But outside of that I think he's had his chance.

If you're going to be a selection given you have to earn it through form, like the Gallens, Watmongs, Lewis etc. The problem before was these guys weren't being picked because of idiot selectors who decide they want a balanced pack or some shit, instead of picking the blokes who stand up at SoO.

I agree that incumbency and combinations count for something, but Pearce has been there for a fair while now without showing much at all.

I think we should look at picking the best team for the series, and give them their shot. If Wallace maintains his form and hunger I'd give him a crack over Pearce.

QLD have the luxury of a consistent halves combo, centres and props because their side has picked itself for many years. We only had strength in the backrow but we kept f**king even that up.

jbl31649

Juniors
Hayne is injured and clearly needs either an extended rest period or WCS surgery. I dont think we can count on him being fit for SOO 1

I want him there for SOO 1, but by all reports he needs surgery. I think he needs to decide is he going to end his career early by continuing to play or get it fix.

I say get it fixed now, the longer he holds of the hard it will be for Surgeons to fix and the longer it will take to recover.

We'll get by without him. I wonder who his advisor is?

Hayne is a nutcase for not opting to have the surgery already.
It's April ffs...it's not like it's August and they're fighting for a finals spot.

He's a dumbass.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Gotta agree with Bobby here

Parra are a lost cause this season and he will just end up with a worse knee and luke warm memories of a victory over Manly come SOO time