What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

lsta5838

Juniors
Here is what I have come up with, but will probably change a bit before now and kick off. If we can run this team onto the park for the next 2-3 years, surely we will win a series??

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Wallace
8. Gallen (c)
9. Hinchcliffe
10. Weyman
11. Bird
12. Scott
13. Lewis
14. Gidley
15. Tamou
16. Mannah
17. Watmough

That has a quick backline, a good combination in the halves with an organiser and a dynamic player in Carney.

Forward pack is pretty tough and should make good meters, with some creative players in there too.

Tough leaving Josh Morris out, but I think Lawrence will be a great origin player.

I also wanted to start Watmough, but can't play with 14!

Going by what Wallace has done this year (without Lockyer), I think he is ahead of Mullen and Pearce.

It was tough leaving Merrin and Hoffman out, and I was also tempted to select Mateo and Sims as bolters!

Dragon2010

First Grade
Watmough is better on the bench. Bring him on when Derpland starts getting tired and will be great against a tiring pack. Leave him where he is.

Dugan wil be the FB when fit I think.

No Williams?

Big Pete

Referee
:lol:

Pete was naming a joke side.

If only White wasn't injured I would have had my dream side. :(

And we have stuck with this plan for a very long time. And it has work for us, consistantly not winning, but hay least we finished second for the last 6 years.

Plan, policy not a big difference in the context of my post.

And no, NSW hasn't stuck with any plan over the past 5 (I'll go easy on 2006) years.

Boganater

Juniors
Matt King is a lot older now and it was a long time ago, but he never had a bad game in origin. He can tackle and wouldn't take any shit. I'd pick him at right centre.

Big Pete

Referee
That's not entirely true.

He didn't have any shockers, that's true but he was beginning to get exposed big time by 2007.

Boganater

Juniors
What I don't get is how Gidley is a certainty , he hasn't been dominant in origin at all, he has played about 1 half of fair football in his whole origin career.
Ryan Hinchcliffe is a much better bloke to have on the bench, solid at hooker can play back row. If a back goes down you could move Beau Scott or Luke Lewis out there.

Gidley should have to earn his spot like everyone else, I don't follow the Knights but hasn't he been out injured all year?

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Matt King is a lot older now and it was a long time ago, but he never had a bad game in origin. He can tackle and wouldn't take any shit. I'd pick him at right centre.

What I don't get is how Gidley is a certainty , he hasn't been dominant in origin at all, he has played about 1 half of fair football in his whole origin career.
Ryan Hinchcliffe is a much better bloke to have on the bench, solid at hooker can play back row. If a back goes down you could move Beau Scott or Luke Lewis out there.

Gidley should have to earn his spot like everyone else, I don't follow the Knights but hasn't he been out injured all year?
If Matt King plays right centre for NSW, then Gidley for captain coach.

King is one of the worst centres in the NRL. Josh Morris totally schooled him in a match a few weeks ago. GI would chew him up and spit him out in Origin.

Fordy20

Juniors
You wouldn't understand, Boganater. Gidley is built for Origin and is an automatic selection, that's all you need to know.

natheel

Coach
had a good think and going on what it the halves a touted as possibly being at the moment i'd go with

1. Stewart (if fit)
2. Ferguson
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Uate
6. Hayne
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Ennis
10. Mannah
11. Watmough
12. Lewis
13. Bird
14. Carney
15. Weyman
16. Sims
17. Tamou

IF Hayne is picked at 6 and pearce at 7 then i think Carney should come off the bench because tbh he would offer alot more punch than Gidley when the QLDers are tiring.

I personally would go with Wallace at Halfback and Hayne at 1 with Carney at 6 but it's seeming like Hayne will be five eight and Rickys bum buddy Pearce will be halfback.

jbl31649

Juniors
had a good think and going on what it the halves a touted as possibly being at the moment i'd go with

1. Stewart (if fit)
2. Ferguson
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Uate
6. Hayne
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Ennis
10. Mannah
11. Watmough
12. Lewis
13. Bird
14. Carney
15. Weyman
16. Sims
17. Tamou

IF Hayne is picked at 6 and pearce at 7 then i think Carney should come off the bench because tbh he would offer alot more punch than Gidley when the QLDers are tiring.

I personally would go with Wallace at Halfback and Hayne at 1 with Carney at 6 but it's seeming like Hayne will be five eight and Rickys bum buddy Pearce will be halfback.

Hate being like this on this forum, but Carney off the Bench WTF! Sorry to be a prick, but explain why in more detail...

Dragon2010

First Grade
I'm starting to get annoyed with Ricky. He says he wants to aim for consistency. Then in an article between him and Daley he goes "About a dozen jerseys are still up for grabs, only five certainties". Seriously? So we are going to see chop and change again and possibly a whole new spine? Is Ricky playing games or is he incredibly stupid?

Then he brings out this Hayne 5/8 bullshit. Yeah. Smart Ricky lets play a dynamic back line player in the halves against Thurston. Good move! We know Carney is the best choice for that jersey. Stewart and Dugan are gone so where's the obvious choice to play Hayne? Why don't we put him at lock and make him captain.

I for one seriously hope Ricky is playing mind games if he has not pencilled down a full team and can't decide to keep more then five certainties I have grave doubts and think we will see many changes. Do the NSWRL admin ever learn?

natheel

Coach
Hate being like this on this forum, but Carney off the Bench WTF! Sorry to be a prick, but explain why in more detail...

Why would I think ya being a prick? Haha everyone is entitled to their opinion

I just think IF carney isn't starting five eight he needs to be there somewhere anyway. I'd have him at halfback if hayne is 6 but Ricky loves Pearce for some unknown reason.

I think carnet would offer more spark and attacking potency then gidley at the back end of halves especially if QLD are tiring. Carney could cover a couple of positions 1, 6, 7 or 9. Having him off the bench I feel he would just offer more than Gidley. But like I said personally I'd have him starting at either 6 or 7 depending on where hayne is picked

Joker's Wild

Coach
The Hayne to 5/8 talk is bullshit imo. Ricky said the same thing last year and left him out of game 1, picked him on the wing in game 2 and in the centres in game 3. Not one game at 5/8

Its just Ricky thinking he is clever

natheel

Coach
At the end of the day I think hayne will be on the wing anyway.

Stuart will hand Morris the fullback jersey when he is a winger

Hayne could handle five eight I feel but right now he is our best option for fullback

Earl

Coach
If Stuart goes with Jarryd Hayne at 6 and Mitchell Pearce at 7 this is going to be a great series to watch as a QLD fan :lol:

abpanther

Staff member
Hey Big Pete,

Just curious, seeing as though you have some strong opinions on the NSW side, just wanted to see what NSW team would you not want to see picked, or the team that you believe presents the greatest threat to QLD?

dubbo teacher

Juniors
Here is what I have come up with, but will probably change a bit before now and kick off. If we can run this team onto the park for the next 2-3 years, surely we will win a series??

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Wallace
8. Gallen (c)
9. Hinchcliffe
10. Weyman
11. Bird
12. Scott
13. Lewis
14. Gidley
15. Tamou
16. Mannah
17. Watmough
It was tough leaving Merrin and Hoffman out, and I was also tempted to select Mateo and Sims as bolters!

This is actually the best team I've seen recently - good points: has good halves, good hooker looking to future, well balanced side.
Not so good points: Contains Gidley, Jennings, Watmough.

Fair dinkum what has Gidley done to keep getting picked in origin?

Watmough? The mistakes in his defence and giving away penalties surely outweighs his contributions in attack.

Jennings? I must be the only one but can't see the merit of this bloke in SOO. His speed never seemed to translate into breaks/tries...can he break through against Hodges and Thaiday and co? He's not big or tall, he won't bust tackles with strength or power and won't outleap anybody. I'm hearing he's been killing it at club level this year but isn't he out injured? He wasn't playing against the Tigers on Sunday.

I know we're light-on for centres but what about Josh Morris?

Forwards/bench I'd consider Glen Stewart, TLL, Galloway, yes Mateo and Sims and I'd keep Snowden or Douglas safe. For game 2/3 Williams should be back on track and ready for selection.