What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

betcats

Referee
Jennings? I must be the only one but can't see the merit of this bloke in SOO. His speed never seemed to translate into breaks/tries...can he break through against Hodges and Thaiday and co? He's not big or tall, he won't bust tackles with strength or power and won't outleap anybody. I'm hearing he's been killing it at club level this year but isn't he out injured? He wasn't playing against the Tigers on Sunday.

You obviously havent watched Penrith all year bar 1 game so your thoughts on Jennings dont mean much. The tigers game is the only game he missed so far this season, he will probably miss our next game and should be right for round nine. Jennings form has been brilliant in a very poor Panthers team, he is easily the best option NSW have for the centres.

biff malibu

Juniors
Hayne - injured
Dugan - injured
Stewart - injured
Jennings - injured

Why are we even considering these players until they are back to 100% fitness? Would big Mal do the same thing? I don't know , maybe he would.

Hayne for mind, is the best player from NSW in the game but if he is running on 1 leg why would you pick him? same goes for the other guys. Ricky is playing smoke and mirrors with what he is feeding the press. He is not stupid enough to send a half baked solider into battle.

dubbo teacher

Juniors
You obviously havent watched Penrith all year bar 1 game so your thoughts on Jennings dont mean much. The tigers game is the only game he missed so far this season, he will probably miss our next game and should be right for round nine. Jennings form has been brilliant in a very poor Panthers team, he is easily the best option NSW have for the centres.
You're right I haven't been watching Penrith games until Sunday but acknowledged he's apparently been playing well at club level. My remarks are based on whether that will translate to SOO.
In the past I've seen little from him at that level and don't believe he has what it takes to break through the likes of Hodges /Thaiday/Boyd and defensively he's not exactly a match for the likes of Cooper or Scott is he?
If I'm wrong and his presence could turn an origin match that would be great.

betcats

Referee
You're right I haven't been watching Penrith games until Sunday but acknowledged he's apparently been playing well at club level. My remarks are based on whether that will translate to SOO.
In the past I've seen little from him at that level and don't believe he has what it takes to break through the likes of Hodges /Thaiday/Boyd and defensively he's not exactly a match for the likes of Cooper or Scott is he?
If I'm wrong and his presence could turn an origin match that would be great.

When he is on Jennings can carve anyone up. He isnt gonna run straight over blokes but he uses his speed, power, footwork and acceleration to break through the line.

Edit: Cooper and Scott?? Cmon we've tried that and it didnt work, we need to score points to win.

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
The Hayne to 5/8 talk is bullshit imo. Ricky said the same thing last year and left him out of game 1, picked him on the wing in game 2 and in the centres in game 3. Not one game at 5/8

Its just Ricky thinking he is clever
I agree.
There is just no one else to play 5/8 for city, so why not chuck him in there. It is really only a trial game for origin and everyone knows how well Hayne can play in the 1-5. IMO no harm in seeing him play in the 6 with some good backs around him.

I'm actually really excited too see him play there with some backs that can actually do damage, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has a big game in the 6.

The Gambler

Juniors
As good as Jennings form has been, I would be surprised if he gets picked for game 1 without at least playing one more club game before hand.

At the current rate, I expect Lawrence and Morris to be the centres for game 1.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Watmough and Gallen have been the best back-rowers in the comp over the last 7 seasons. They should be in the starting 13.

Last edited:

The Gambler

Juniors
There is no way Lawrence should be anywhere near an Origin jersey. He's barely cutting it at the Tigers, who are 2-5.
I expect him to be picked anyway. It is no secret that he is held in high regards by Ricky.

Besides, he is still one of the better defensive centres in the game.

timka4

Bench
I'm really hoping Lawrence has a big game on Sunday, just so everyone jumps back on his bandwagon. He has been in poor form, he is classy and has been consistently the best centre in NSW for the past 3 years and I think he will have a good game.

RABK

Referee
I was/am the Morris brothers biggest critic and never thought i'd say this but they deserve to be selected. Both are in outstanding form and could even *gulp* prove to be match winners this series.

Lawrence at his best is second only to Jennings as our best centre but he will really need a blinder on sunday to move JMoz out of a rightful centre spot.

Big Pete

Referee
Hey Big Pete,

Just curious, seeing as though you have some strong opinions on the NSW side, just wanted to see what NSW team would you not want to see picked, or the team that you believe presents the greatest threat to QLD?

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Akuila Uate
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Tim Mannah
9. Danny Buderus
10. Paul Gallen (c)
11. Beau Scott
12. Greg Bird
13. Luke Lewis

14. Peter Wallace
15. Tom Learoyd Lahrs
16. Anthony Watmough
17. Kade Snowden

Very few players are screaming 'what are you doing bludger?! Select me!' that it makes it difficult to nominate an ideal side. Dare I say only Gallen & to a lesser extent Bird are in that kind of irresistible form.

Not an ideal centre formation with two left centres but choices on the right are limited to champions like Pomeroy & King. Maybe RWB was right, maybe Maubs isn't such a bad selection? I digress, I'm going strictly on form and I just hope they can do their jobs in defence and pose enough of a threat out-wide.

Don't think we've seen the best of Carney yet at Cronulla and I'm unsure if he has what it takes at this level but desperate times call for desperate measures. I don't think Soward is the type of half you need at the moment, as Johns put it, he's a guider, not a creator & NSW needs point.

Bench is pure impact. Wallace maybe a strange selection but his work out of dummy half has always impressed me when he's cameo'd there for the Broncs and he has the tenacity you'd like in your players. TLL hasn't disappointed at this level and he's always got a few good carries in him. Two brief 20 minute stints could be just the tonic NSW needs. Watmough like TLL hasn't let anybody down at this level and he just loves to get stuck in and will earn big metres each time. Snowden is in good form and is another big body that will be difficult to handle when the defence begins to get a little tired.

RABK

Referee
Surely you QLD'rs would feel Tariq and T-Rex could be real game breakers and respect their potential in the Origin arena and possibly not want to see them picked Pete?

Big Pete

Referee
Ideally they'd be good picks but Tariq is still working out the kinks after spending so much time on the sidelines & T-Rex won't be match fit come Origin 1.