What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Ladmate

Bench
RABK, your analysis is pretty spot on. I think this is our best chance yet, we have such a talented group of players and most of them are young.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Either way, as usual, city vs country has raised more questions instead of answering them.

The absolute must picks are.

Jennings at 3.
Hayne anywhere 1-5.
Uate at 5.
Carney at 6.
Pearce at 7.
Gallen at 8.
Watmough, Lewis and Bird as 3 of our backrowers.
One of Sims or Williams on the bench.

We pick that core and we are giving ourselves a huge chance. I don't think choosing between for example Woods/Merrin, Stewart/Dugan or Morris/Lawrence is going to make or break our side. Bottom line is whoever gets picked needs to turn up and have an 80 minute dig to stop the rot.

Good post. I agree with all those. I think our biggest issue is fullback. Will Stewart or Dug be back? Will Hayne get the jersey? IMO I'd put Hayne on the wing.

I think I'd god:
Woods > Merrin
Stewart < or = Dugan
Morris < Lawrence

Either way I'm sure those players will turn up for 80. I think Pearce was great today. He lead the pack with little help from Hayne. Great defense and he was switched on. He and Carney can work well. Both great kickers, Carney the spark, Pearce can organize. I'm happy.

And we will stop the rot. But we need an impact bench. Not just a general rotation. We need a bench with serious strike power. These are the Williams, Sims, type players. Gids for injury/hooker cover (With Lewis also providing that).

RABK

Referee
Stewart would be safer at the back and provide the extra man in atttack better, Dugan is more likely to be a game breaker with a 60m line break or an individual kick chase.

I'd prefer Stewart, i think he'd link up well with Pearce and Carney inside QLDs 20 but Dugan is certainly not a bad selection IF fit.

Dragon2010

First Grade
I think Dug will be fit. But I'm scared a Derplander will take a dog shot on him and stuff his shoulder to knock him out of the game quick. Otherwise, Dugan is a gun player and the game breaker we need up back.

Game breakers are your Dugans, Haynes, Carneys, Williams and to a lesser extent Jennings. Gallen is just a pure f**king machine and he will have a blinder of a series.

Tweed Titan

Bench
I'm going against the media/Stuart "Buderus to play" campaign. Farah did well today and put his hand up, but of course the media darling is already picked.

1. Stewart/Hayne/Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Scott
13. Lewis

14. T-Rex/Gidley
15. Watmough
16. Sims (has to be picked, what a gun player)
18. TLL

Mullen MIA again and needs to stop playing half back. Ferguson to come onto the wing if Stewart can't play and Hayne goes to full back. We might not need Gidley if we consider Lewis as cover for utility back positions, and that allows us to carry another devastating impact player.

Dragon_Taylor6

Juniors
I think Dug will be fit. But I'm scared a Derplander will take a dog shot on him and stuff his shoulder to knock him out of the game quick. Otherwise, Dugan is a gun player and the game breaker we need up back.

Game breakers are your Dugans, Haynes, Carneys, Williams and to a lesser extent Jennings. Gallen is just a pure f**king machine and he will have a blinder of a series.

That is the risk you take if you pick someone in that situation. I'm not sure how easy it is to give someone a dog shot to the shoulder.

RABK

Referee
Also will be watching Glenn Stewarts return, he could no doubt push heavily for what was a certain selection pre injury.

Ladmate

Bench
14. T-Rex/Gidley
15. Watmough
16. Sims (has to be picked, what a gun player)
18. TLL

Bench is pretty small I think. QLD will dominate them when they come on. Mannah/Merrin/Douglas/Woods should be in the team instead of Scott/Watmough I reckon. TLL is the only one there who can play prop and we shouldn't have to rely on a Gallen 80 minute, 200m performance to win.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
Small bench?

When has Watmough at 95kg and 180cm ever, and i mean ever -rep or club level, been dominated? Pound for pound he is the best ball running forward in the comp. Runs fast, uses footwork and must have a core of steel because he bumps of players 20kg heavier at will.

Williams 114kg?

Sims 106kg?

TLL 110kg?

Not saying i agree with that bench but if it's lacking anything it's definitely not size.

Deetroy72

Juniors
my NSW team after today:

1. Hayne
2. B Morris - dont mind if swap with Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce

8. Gallen (C)
9. Buderus
10. TLL/Tamou
11. Watmough
12. Lewis
13. Bird

14. T Sims
15. Tamou/TLL
16. Woods/Mannah
17. Gidley

I liked both Hinchcliffe and Farah combo but with Buderus likely picked

A Woods can play now although Sterlo sed future in the commentry & B Ferguson did well today and wont let the blues down

Great forward pack and only question mark will be Buderus distribution and decision making on attack no issues with defense IMO

Last edited:

Ladmate

Bench
By small I meant ability to play prop. As far as I know, none of them bar TLL can play prop. NSW always get outmatched by QLD because they play 4 props that are all extremely good. As a Tigers fan, I know what happens when backrowers play prop and the end result is losing the forwards battle by a bit and watching them make 10m per run.

RWB

Bench
Tariq Sims was poor today, I'm one of his biggest fans and think he's miles ahead of Tony Williams as a backrower but he's still coming back from a pretty serious injury. His time will come, I just don't think it'll be this year unless he can go back to club level and prove he's back 100%

RWB

Bench
By small I meant ability to play prop. As far as I know, none of them bar TLL can play prop. NSW always get outmatched by QLD because they play 4 props that are all extremely good. As a Tigers fan, I know what happens when backrowers play prop and the end result is losing the forwards battle by a bit and watching them make 10m per run.

Sims is just as capable in the front row as he is in the backrow. He's definitely a good 4th option who can cover backrow with Gallen usually playing the full 80.

T.T

Juniors
winning team for 2012:

1. stewart
2. hayne
3. jennings
4. lawrence
5. uate
6. carney
7. pearce
8. tamou
9. farah
10. gallen
11. lewis
12. bird
13. stewart

14. gidley
15. sims
16. watmough
17. woods

Ladmate

Bench
Sims is a good option but he's best off the bench as an impact player, rather than using him as a battering ram. I wouldn't be upset if there's only one prop on the bench, but I think we have a better chance with two props on the bench to match up with QLD's size.

typicalfan

Coach
Based on the season so far with some of todays game taken into consideration. The bold players are locked in IMO.

1. Dugan - Stewart - Hayne
2. Hayne - McManus
3. Morris or Lawrence
4. Jennings
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah - Buderus
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Scott - Lewis
13. Watmough

14. Gidley - Hinchcliffe
15. Lewis
16. Mannah
17. Merrin - Woods - Learoyd Lars - Sims - Williams

I if Dugan plays then Hayne is a must on the wing to provide cover for injury but I fear as much for Hayne and his knee as I do for Dugan. Stewart is the next option.

Morris and Lawrence still yet to cement a spot will be battling over the next few weeks. Buderus pulling out of country gave Farah a chance to show his value and he did which gives Farah a slight edge but not by much.

Despite his poor form for the Dragons I want Scott there after last year, he was ok today and at least deserves to keep his spot. I would lock him in if it were me, he also provides cover for our centres.

Gidley played his best series last year and if fit should play, Hinchcliffe to be his back up, he can play the role of a running forward as well.

Last spot up for grabs. Merrin has been strong but Woods presents a case. Gallen to play prop in the opening minutes and to move to lock to accommodate the extra prop on the bench.

StFigJam

Juniors
After watching that game I hold little hope for NSW beating QLD. QLD win not only because they are good players, they are also a good team. With the little amount of time any NSW side spends together they will not overcome it. NSW have to pick a side at the start of the year and devote a day a week to train together. They will seriously need to gel as a team. Even then they may not be able to beat them.

With so many great players in QLD that are part of the Australian side all NSW seem to get are the second stringers.