What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

RABK

Referee
Don't agree, he has slowly been getting worse this year. He is way off his 2011 form and there is NO prop in NSW that deserves incumbency.

Ladmate

Bench
Mannah wasn't too good today, he got injured and he didn't stand out much compared to the other props. He is equal with several other props as a chance though.

T.T

Juniors
Because he is an incumbent and has done nothing to remove him from the side. Even today he was pretty good. He is consistent.

whos cares about incumbency, qld made up the term... pretty good isn't going to cut it. merrin and woods are bending the line alot better than mannah does

typicalfan

Coach
That is fair enough but if we walk into game 1 with rookie props galore then 7 in a row is guaranteed. He didn't do anything wrong today and his form with the Eels shouldn't really be a guide to how he will play at rep level. Scott has been in worse form and I would pick him as well.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Why would people start Tamou? He's better coming off the bench in the game. It's his debut why would you throw him into the furnace right away?

There is a question marks on a few of the positions through our eyes but I reckon Sticky already knows the team he wants. I think he will get a good balance of consistency while making the necessary changes. We can see the definties so far or the dead certain lock-ins:
- Gallen
- Bird
- Gidley (lol)
- Uate
- Carney
- Pearce
- Watmough
- Lewis
- Mannah
- Jennings

It's now building a team around those players and getting a balance of game brakers. We need serious strike power, we need players that can score points and put some gear in QLD. The best player for this is Williams. If he is match fit I have no issues. I'm sure he's been training and he's still fit. He's probably worth the risk. What's the worse that can happen? He has an okay game at best and does not be his usual damaging self.

@T.T Mannah has no reason to be dropped, consistent and good leadership. He might be a chance at getting dropped though.

@StFigJam You serious? This year is our best chance. We have been so clost last series and we have a great pool of talent and youth available to us this year. There is allot more players putting their hand up this year compared to last as the players that are NSW eligible are more confident now with winning. The players from last year are starting to believe more and have more faith and confidence in what can be done. To think otherwise is stupid. No reason we cant won't the series.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
Mannah wasn't too good today, he got injured and he didn't stand out much compared to the other props. He is equal with several other props as a chance though.
He got 100 metres in less than 30 minutes. Getting cut surely doesn't count against him.

typicalfan

Coach
Why would people start Tamou? He's better coming off the bench in the game. It's hismdebutnwhy would you throw him into the furnace right away?

I thought this too and it is a risk but if the props end up being Gallen, Tamou, Mannah and Merrin I would prefer Tamou to be on with Gallen who is our best go forward man rather than the other two still working their way into origin.

I tried to go with incumbents and players who have played in positions previously like Dugan and Hayne. Our problem has always been chopping and changing based on form. Unless someone is playing appalling or injured or someone plays too well to ignore then you keep the team nucleus together.

Dragon2010

First Grade
The problem is have we ever got the nucleus right?

I'd argue that no we have not.

1) Dug
6) Carney
7) Pearce
9) Bedsy (Who do we take next year?)

That looks like an okay spine to me. Something very similar to last year bar Jamie "I was keeping the seat warm for Carney" Carney and Michael "I'm a dog" Ennis.

gronkathon

First Grade
I dont understand why Birs is a given.

He has been good in Origin but honestly Watmough is better and does essentially the same thing. We need impact in the backrow, not just workers. Lewis is the prime worker in the backrow now that Gallen is playing Rep prop

typicalfan

Coach
The problem is have we ever got the nucleus right?

I'd argue that no we have not.
i would say last year was the closest we have got since Bellamy. Also guys like Mannah and Merrin were definite picks for the future. They will be given another go you would think to see how much they have developed.

The 9 was the main position that needed fixing and I think Bedsy or Farah will do a better job than Ennis.

caylo

Bench
1) Dug
6) Carney
7) Pearce
9) Bedsy (Who do we take next year?)

That looks like an okay spine to me. Something very similar to last year bar Jamie "I was keeping the seat warm for Carney" Carney and Michael "I'm a dog" Ennis.

I think both Stewart and Hayne are better option at #1 even though Dugan wont let anyone down while Farah has the attacking spark that NSW miss and is pretty tough in defence.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
I'm going against the media/Stuart "Buderus to play" campaign. Farah did well today and put his hand up, but of course the media darling is already picked.

1. Stewart/Hayne/Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Scott
13. Lewis

14. T-Rex/Gidley
15. Watmough
16. Sims (has to be picked, what a gun player)
18. TLL

Mullen MIA again and needs to stop playing half back. Ferguson to come onto the wing if Stewart can't play and Hayne goes to full back. We might not need Gidley if we consider Lewis as cover for utility back positions, and that allows us to carry another devastating impact player.

best

isaiah

Bench
Some thoughts.

Morris brothers reminding us they belong nowhere near rep footy. They just turn to shit regardless of their club form.

There was no class on display at fullback today - that is why i think Stewart only needs to prove his fitness over the next couple of weeks to be our fullback.

Hayne experiment was a complete failure but instead of hating on him pick him at wing where he is able to be a game breaker as proven before.

Jennings is so far ahead of all four centres on display today - if he's fit he is first picked centre. The other spot - who knows? This is probably going to be our biggest problem and i just think Lawrence has enough class to be our best against Inglis.

Carney and Pearce both showed a lot today and kept themselves busy - they are our halves.

I though Woods was easily the most impressive prop today - seemed to be the only one consistently bending the line and using footwork to beat players and has a great offload. I thought Merrin was next best at least using some footwork to further his yardage.

All the others in contention - Weyman, Mannah, Douglas, TLL just hit the advantage line and got halted then put on their backs 90% of the time. No footwork, just one out stuff and QLD will eat that shit up. Watmough can give us more in a 20 minute stint at prop than any of those guys can. NSW props stocks are shit.

Bird ran so strongly and should be picked. Tariq earnt his bench jumper - monster.

just a thought on the props- mannah and TLL did alright in origin last year, should give them a headstart on douglas and weyman

RABK

Referee
In regards to the nucleus

Dugan
Carney
Pearce
King

we have that spine with half a dozen to a dozen Origins under their belt as a combination and QLD hit a wall with talent replacing retirees then we might just have a chance to put 3 or 4 series wins together from 2014-2017.

I know i'm talking in 2 years time but i'm thinking off what spine has the ability to play 5 years of Origin together. These guys are all younger than 26.

RABK

Referee
In regards to the nucleus

Dugan
Carney
Pearce
King

we have that spine with half a dozen to a dozen Origins under their belt as a combination and QLD hit a wall with talent replacing retirees then we might just have a chance to put 3 or 4 series wins together from 2014-2017.

I know i'm talking in 2 years time but i'm thinking off what spine has the ability to play 5 years of Origin together. These guys are all younger than 26.

To add to this Hayne, Uate, Jennings, Lawrence, Fensom, Merrin, Sims, Williams, Hopoate, Mannah - all young guys with 5-10 years of Origin football in them.

We are really not that far off finding a solid 15 players that injury/suspension/scandal permitting we can stick with for 5 years.

Latest posts