What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

typicalfan

Coach
Stewart and Dugan are safer at the back and he looks a shadow of himself with that knee problem. He looks so soft he could be broken any time he runs it. I think Hayne should be on the wing or not at all this year.

Mr Fourex

Bench
After watching that game I hold little hope for NSW beating QLD. QLD win not only because they are good players, they are also a good team. With the little amount of time any NSW side spends together they will not overcome it.

The standard of the City V Country game today I think left all the NSW heirachy thinking

oh shit........here we go again

Gould, Sterlo and Johns in particular seemed very disappointed.

caylo

Bench
Stewart and Dugan are safer at the back and he looks a shadow of himself with that knee problem. He looks so soft he could be broken any time he runs it. I think Hayne should be on the wing or not at all this year.

Idea of Dugan and Stewart being safer of at the back is media bet up, hayne saves just as many tries as any fullback although they all do have their strengths and weaknesses. Hayne looks very casual when he runs the ball back but he is just as effective as the Dugan and Stewart but his injury is defiantly hindering him. Thing is Hayne and Stewart are big game players and Dugan is yet to prove that and while Hayne is struggling with his knee Dugan has been out all season with an injury and Stewart is also on the sideline so any 3 are a risk at the moment.

If I had to chose today it would be Hayne because the other 2 haven't played for extended periods but if either comes back in the next week and performs well then having a back 3 of Stewart/Dugan, Hayne and Uate makes more sense then Hayne/Stewart/Dugan, Morris and Uate. Then again you could have all 3 and play Hayne in the centres which would be a bold move but he did well last year, either way Hayne has to be there IMO.

typicalfan

Coach
Idea of Dugan and Stewart being safer of at the back is media bet up.
No it isn't They get themselves in the right spot more often and it is their strength over Hayne as much as his running game is a strength of his. His knee injury can put that at risk so I cannot pick him there. If fit then yes

Joker's Wild

Coach
The standard of the City V Country game today I think left all the NSW heirachy thinking

The problem with this game is they have made it out to be so important to Origin selections that no one seems to play as a team and it turns into 1 big low percentage fest.

Its a stepping stone game and it seems the players treat it as such

Pazza

First Grade
That is fair enough but if we walk into game 1 with rookie props galore then 7 in a row is guaranteed. He didn't do anything wrong today and his form with the Eels shouldn't really be a guide to how he will play at rep level. Scott has been in worse form and I would pick him as well.

I agree! One rookie prop at a time and this time it's Tamou.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
After watching that game I hold little hope for NSW beating QLD. QLD win not only because they are good players, they are also a good team. With the little amount of time any NSW side spends together they will not overcome it. NSW have to pick a side at the start of the year and devote a day a week to train together. They will seriously need to gel as a team. Even then they may not be able to beat them.

With so many great players in QLD that are part of the Australian side all NSW seem to get are the second stringers.

The problem with this game is they have made it out to be so important to Origin selections that no one seems to play as a team and it turns into 1 big low percentage fest.

Its a stepping stone game and it seems the players treat it as such

This is why we need to pick pretty much the same group of players we did last year. It's the only way to start building a team.

Dragon2010

First Grade
This is why we need to pick pretty much the same group of players we did last year. It's the only way to start building a team.

And I'm sure/hopeful Sticky will.

We will see a few changes but it won't be as much as last year.

Gasnier retired = New right center
Soward dropped = New 5/8
Ennis dropped = New hooker
A new prop/front rower here = 1/2 changes

We are going to see a few changes. It all depends what Sticky has in mind. But like is it worth keeping Morris for consistency after we know his form and performance at rep level? Is it worth playing someone else? It's finding the right balance.

Dragon2010

First Grade
P.S it's CvC so you will see two things:
- Each will try for an individual performance to get picked and won't be as much a team player in doing so as they want it to be about them
- Its a nothing game really. Some players are. It going to put in 100% dont let today put you off.

We have the players, the team and skill to win.

Didgi

A side I wouldn't want to see:

1. Stewart - very rarely has a bad game. Fair enough he's been out a bit lately, but if he's back and showing what he can do by Origin, he should be there. If he can produce any sort of combination with his teammates he has shown at Manly he can be unstoppable. Hayne can produce some freakish stuff, but he also goes missing far more often.
2. Hayne - he's too much of a talent - and in fair form - to leave out completely. A lack of other real options makes it easy for him to come in on the wing.
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
Two centres who are genuine attacking threats, and decent-ish in defence too. Neither have been in top form, but there's hardly anyone else clamouring to be selected. Morris and whichever nuffy from their own club fans want to spruik aren't in the form or have shown the attacking threat these two have. Both are young, can be there for a long time.
5. Uate, picks himself.
6. Carney
7. Pearce
The only possible combination based on CvC, incumbency, combinations, club form, whatever for mine. Soward and Wallace (particularly) unlucky not to get auditions, Hayne and Mullen f**ked their chances.
8. Gallen
9. Farah - a better allround option than Buderus. Hinchcliffe may have a future off the bench but not yet. Can kick when needed, defensively solid and when on can rip a team apart.
10. Mannah - A big workhorse needed to absorb the opening exchanges.
11. Watmong
12. Bird
13. Lewis
A back row that's a mix of workhorse, impact, versatility and durability, all very tough too.

14. T-Rex - Too good to leave out.
15. Tamou - off the bench for impact, throw his weight around a bit. Bring him into Origin a bit cautiously.
16. Tariq Sims - Once again, too dynamic to leave out. He can play the worker role, he can play the wide running role, he can play the hit and smash.
17. TLL/Douglas - More big men on the bench to keep rolling. TLL or Douglas most likely, Merrin/Weyman/Snowden/takeyourpick as outsiders/if injuries.

Dragon2010

First Grade
@Didgi. That's pretty much the team I want. Great all around the park. Doubt we will get that exact team though.

hybrid_tiger

Coach

1. Stewart - very rarely has a bad game. Fair enough he's been out a bit lately, but if he's back and showing what he can do by Origin, he should be there. If he can produce any sort of combination with his teammates he has shown at Manly he can be unstoppable. Hayne can produce some freakish stuff, but he also goes missing far more often.
2. Hayne - he's too much of a talent - and in fair form - to leave out completely. A lack of other real options makes it easy for him to come in on the wing.
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
Two centres who are genuine attacking threats, and decent-ish in defence too. Neither have been in top form, but there's hardly anyone else clamouring to be selected. Morris and whichever nuffy from their own club fans want to spruik aren't in the form or have shown the attacking threat these two have. Both are young, can be there for a long time.
5. Uate, picks himself.
6. Carney
7. Pearce
The only possible combination based on CvC, incumbency, combinations, club form, whatever for mine. Soward and Wallace (particularly) unlucky not to get auditions, Hayne and Mullen f**ked their chances.
8. Gallen
9. Farah - a better allround option than Buderus. Hinchcliffe may have a future off the bench but not yet. Can kick when needed, defensively solid and when on can rip a team apart.
11. Watmong
12. Bird
13. Lewis
A back row that's a mix of workhorse, impact, versatility and durability, all very tough too.

15. Tamou - off the bench for impact, throw his weight around a bit. Bring him into Origin a bit cautiously.
16. Tariq Sims - Once again, too dynamic to leave out. He can play the worker role, he can play the wide running role, he can play the hit and smash.
17. TLL/Douglas - More big men on the bench to keep rolling. TLL or Douglas most likely, Merrin/Weyman/Snowden/takeyourpick as outsiders/if injuries.

That would be my team, just about. Perhaps one too many rookies on the bench, but hard to argue with any of those selections really.

ByRd

First Grade

3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate, picks himself.
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
11. Watmong
12. Bird
13. Lewis

This is the side i pretty much hope to see. Josh Morris maybe ahead of Lawrence but cant go wrong either way really. But of course we all know Gidley will be on the bench so gotta account for him unfortunately.

A bench consisting of Sims/T-Rex/Tamou is just scary and what we need. Maybe starting Tamou so we dont have an all rookie bench and bringing Mannah off the bench could be another option.

gronkathon

First Grade
Outside of Gallen last year Chocmong played one of the most epic one man army performances for the Blues in recent memory at Suncorp

3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate, picks himself.
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
11. Watmong
12. Bird
13. Lewis

WOW that's scary! You almost read my mind 100%

The only change I would make is moving Tamou to starting instead of Mannah and drop Mannah completely, replacing him on the bench would be Hinchcliff. And I'd have TLL there out of him and Douglas.

Dragon2010

First Grade
What date is the team named? I'm hopeful Sticky makes some decent selections this year. Damn, Some of us fans sometimes make better decisions.

Latest posts