What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

sheepbender

Juniors
1. B. Morris
2. D. Williams
3. C. Lawrence
4. J. Morris
5. A. Uate
6. T. Carney
7. M. Pearce
8. M. Weyman
9. D. Buderus or R. Farrah
10. P. Gallen
11. R. Hoffman
12. B. Creagh
13 A. Watmough
14. B. Scott
15. R. Hinchcliffe
16. T. Sims
17. T. Williams

no name

Coach
1. B. Morris
2. D. Williams
3. C. Lawrence
4. J. Morris
5. A. Uate
6. T. Carney
7. M. Pearce
8. M. Weyman
10. P. Gallen
11. R. Hoffman
12. B. Creagh

13 A. Watmough
14. B. Scott
15. R. Hinchcliffe
16. T. Sims
17. T. Williams
Gotta be a gee up

Tweed Titan

Bench
A side I wouldn't want to see:

1. Stewart - very rarely has a bad game. Fair enough he's been out a bit lately, but if he's back and showing what he can do by Origin, he should be there. If he can produce any sort of combination with his teammates he has shown at Manly he can be unstoppable. Hayne can produce some freakish stuff, but he also goes missing far more often.
2. Hayne - he's too much of a talent - and in fair form - to leave out completely. A lack of other real options makes it easy for him to come in on the wing.
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
Two centres who are genuine attacking threats, and decent-ish in defence too. Neither have been in top form, but there's hardly anyone else clamouring to be selected. Morris and whichever nuffy from their own club fans want to spruik aren't in the form or have shown the attacking threat these two have. Both are young, can be there for a long time.
5. Uate, picks himself.
6. Carney
7. Pearce
The only possible combination based on CvC, incumbency, combinations, club form, whatever for mine. Soward and Wallace (particularly) unlucky not to get auditions, Hayne and Mullen f**ked their chances.
8. Gallen
9. Farah - a better allround option than Buderus. Hinchcliffe may have a future off the bench but not yet. Can kick when needed, defensively solid and when on can rip a team apart.
10. Mannah - A big workhorse needed to absorb the opening exchanges.
11. Watmong
12. Bird
13. Lewis
A back row that's a mix of workhorse, impact, versatility and durability, all very tough too.

14. T-Rex - Too good to leave out.
15. Tamou - off the bench for impact, throw his weight around a bit. Bring him into Origin a bit cautiously.
16. Tariq Sims - Once again, too dynamic to leave out. He can play the worker role, he can play the wide running role, he can play the hit and smash.
17. TLL/Douglas - More big men on the bench to keep rolling. TLL or Douglas most likely, Merrin/Weyman/Snowden/takeyourpick as outsiders/if injuries.

Nice team

Ladmate

Bench

1. Stewart - very rarely has a bad game. Fair enough he's been out a bit lately, but if he's back and showing what he can do by Origin, he should be there. If he can produce any sort of combination with his teammates he has shown at Manly he can be unstoppable. Hayne can produce some freakish stuff, but he also goes missing far more often.
2. Hayne - he's too much of a talent - and in fair form - to leave out completely. A lack of other real options makes it easy for him to come in on the wing.
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
Two centres who are genuine attacking threats, and decent-ish in defence too. Neither have been in top form, but there's hardly anyone else clamouring to be selected. Morris and whichever nuffy from their own club fans want to spruik aren't in the form or have shown the attacking threat these two have. Both are young, can be there for a long time.
5. Uate, picks himself.
6. Carney
7. Pearce
The only possible combination based on CvC, incumbency, combinations, club form, whatever for mine. Soward and Wallace (particularly) unlucky not to get auditions, Hayne and Mullen f**ked their chances.
8. Gallen
9. Farah - a better allround option than Buderus. Hinchcliffe may have a future off the bench but not yet. Can kick when needed, defensively solid and when on can rip a team apart.
11. Watmong
12. Bird
13. Lewis
A back row that's a mix of workhorse, impact, versatility and durability, all very tough too.

15. Tamou - off the bench for impact, throw his weight around a bit. Bring him into Origin a bit cautiously.
16. Tariq Sims - Once again, too dynamic to leave out. He can play the worker role, he can play the wide running role, he can play the hit and smash.
17. TLL/Douglas - More big men on the bench to keep rolling. TLL or Douglas most likely, Merrin/Weyman/Snowden/takeyourpick as outsiders/if injuries.

This is a great team.

Tweed Titan

Bench
1. B. Morris
2. D. Williams
3. C. Lawrence
4. J. Morris
5. A. Uate
6. T. Carney
7. M. Pearce
8. M. Weyman
10. P. Gallen
11. R. Hoffman
12. B. Creagh
13 A. Watmough
14. B. Scott
15. R. Hinchcliffe
16. T. Sims
17. T. Williams

I would lose my shite if that team got picked.

Danish

Referee
Can we please please PLEASE have no more Greg Bird in origin?

The guy was hard 4 years ago. He is a weak, diving lazy cat these days.

Swap Glen Stewart into Didgi's side and you have my preferred team

Fordy20

Juniors

3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate, picks himself.
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
11. Watmong
12. Bird
13. Lewis

TLL over Douglas because of experience, but that's a NSW side that could win a series.

I reckon only about 8 of those guys will actually be selected by Sticky.

Dragon2010

First Grade
TLL over Douglas because of experience, but that's a NSW side that could win a series.

I reckon only about 8 of those guys will actually be selected by Sticky.

Which is a f**king shame. I'd love to get Ricky's eMail and send that to him. Show him how to pick a SOO side.

I'd fe fairly confident though we will see about 10-11 of those. I think Moz *sigh*, Gidley *double sigh* will be there.

Cheops

Juniors
The guy I think a lot of people are forgetting is Beau Scott. He was rock solid in every origin game last year and had another good game today. His defense is strong and he makes good metres every time he runs it. We have enough flair in the back row between the likes of Lewis, Bird, Watmough, Sims and T-Rex but we need someone who will do the dirty work for 80 minutes.

Other than that, Farah, Carney, Woods, Pearce and Coote impressed while Mullen and TLL were dissapointing. Oh and Hayne proved that he's not a 6 - but everyone other than Stuart and Fittler knew that already.

Dragon2010

First Grade
The guy I think a lot of people are forgetting is Beau Scott. He was rock solid in every origin game last year and had another good game today. His defense is strong and he makes good metres every time he runs it. We have enough flair in the back row between the likes of Lewis, Bird, Watmough, Sims and T-Rex but we need someone who will do the dirty work for 80 minutes.

Other than that, Farah, Carney, Woods, Pearce and Coote impressed while Mullen and TLL were dissapointing. Oh and Hayne proved that he's not a 6 - but everyone other than Stuart and Fittler knew that already.

As I've stated previously in this thread. The Hayne 5/8 was a mind game by Sticky and a smart one to. Get Carney and Pearce to lift their game by thinking "He's a chance at my position". Get them playing stronger, I also reckon he told Hayne and said "Play along with it I guarantee you a spot in the 17". Why? Because media is so big these days mind-games like that will work.

I highly doubt Sticky is stupid enough to play Hayne over Carney. Mind games.....You know what? It worked. Carney played great, So did Pearce (Thinking Hayne would be 6 and Carney 7. Would have thought his jersey was in danger as well.)

Jason Maher

Immortal
City-Country means shit.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Brett Morris
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Akuila Uate
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
13. Greg Bird
12. Anthony Watmough
11. Beau Scott
10. Tim Mannah
9. Robbie Farah
8. Paul Gallen (c)

14. James Tamou
15. Trent Merrin
16. Tariq Sims
17. Luke Lewis

Forgot James Tamou. Weyman deserves a gig, he has been our best player this year, but long term Merrin is the better option, and Tamou played for Australia.

Last edited:

Tiger Hawk

Bench
For once and for all, can people (Knights fans) please stop talking up Jarrod f**king Mullen. The guy is a spastic who has done SFA at CLUB level (save me your "injuries", "out of position" excuses) and turned in another inept performance yesterday. If not for Carney and Hinchcliffe (finally came to life in the second half) Country would never have got back in the game because Mullen was the invisible man for 80 minutes.

If City vs Country was a legit Origin selection trial, and taking into account the test players, surely this is the team for game 1 (albeit with three weeks til selection):

1. J Hayne
2. B Morris
3. C Lawrence
4. M Jennings
5. A Uate
6. T Carney
7. M Pearce
8. P Gallen
9. R Farah
10. T Mannah
11. R Hoffman
12. A Watmough
13. L Lewis

14. R Hinchcliffe
15. L Douglas
16. T Merrin
17. T Sims

Backline pretty much picks itself. I'm not penalising Hayne for his performance yesterday at 5/8 - he didn't pick himself there - when his play at fullback this year has been pretty solid. Brett Morris is picked (and I can't believe I'm picking him) because his play at fullback has been fantastic - he needs to be told to play like that or he's gone. Carney has been pretty strong all year and Pearce has done nothing to be dropped for either Mullen or Wallace. Lawrence played out of position on the right and showed he could handle it - great try, strong out of dummy half and in defence.

Starting pack is fairly straight-forward as well. Farah has been having a down year but showed yesterday why he should be selected - 44 tackles (only 1 missed), controlled the game from dummy half and provided a third kicking option. Hoffman (19 runs, plenty of tackles and off-loads) had a monster game yesterday, he's no worse than Creagh (who the selectors love for some reason). Greg Bird doesn't get a run because he's a toad and frankly there are better options. Douglas has been a favourite of mine for a long time, I'm not sure whether he's suited to coming off the bench but he gets through plenty of work and should be given a shot.

Hinchcliffe showed in the second half that coming off the bench against a tired defence he can have an impact. Was nowhere in the first half but got Country back into the game (along with Carney) and if Farah plays poorly, he's good cover from the bench.

Near misses:
J Tamou - just don't believe he'll be any better than those I've selected
B Ferguson - always a risk of doing a Fergo
K Galloway - has been strong in limited time for Tigers but fitness concerns
A Woods - can't have Merrin, Woods & Sims, not enough FG experience between them
T Williams - could be off the pace after a long layoff

Tweed Titan

Bench
With how good BMorris is playing at fullback this year I'd even risk putting him there.

Take your red and white goggles off FFS. :lol:

Not fit to hold the other 3 blokes jock strap, and should be thanking the lords above if he gets a gig on the wing based on previous services rendered to the sky blue. That would be a true example of selectors staying loyal.

Last edited:

R2Coupe

Juniors
For once and for all, can people (Knights fans) please stop talking up Jarrod f**king Mullen. The guy is a spastic who has done SFA at CLUB level (save me your "injuries", "out of position" excuses) and turned in another inept performance yesterday. If not for Carney and Hinchcliffe (finally came to life in the second half) Country would never have got back in the game because Mullen was the invisible man for 80 minutes.

If City vs Country was a legit Origin selection trial, and taking into account the test players, surely this is the team for game 1 (albeit with three weeks til selection):

1. J Hayne
2. B Morris
3. C Lawrence
4. M Jennings
5. A Uate
6. T Carney
7. M Pearce
8. P Gallen
9. R Farah
10. T Mannah
11. R Hoffman
12. A Watmough
13. L Lewis

14. R Hinchcliffe
15. L Douglas
16. T Merrin
17. T Sims

Backline pretty much picks itself. I'm not penalising Hayne for his performance yesterday at 5/8 - he didn't pick himself there - when his play at fullback this year has been pretty solid. Brett Morris is picked (and I can't believe I'm picking him) because his play at fullback has been fantastic - he needs to be told to play like that or he's gone. Carney has been pretty strong all year and Pearce has done nothing to be dropped for either Mullen or Wallace. Lawrence played out of position on the right and showed he could handle it - great try, strong out of dummy half and in defence.

Starting pack is fairly straight-forward as well. Farah has been having a down year but showed yesterday why he should be selected - 44 tackles (only 1 missed), controlled the game from dummy half and provided a third kicking option. Hoffman (19 runs, plenty of tackles and off-loads) had a monster game yesterday, he's no worse than Creagh (who the selectors love for some reason). Greg Bird doesn't get a run because he's a toad and frankly there are better options. Douglas has been a favourite of mine for a long time, I'm not sure whether he's suited to coming off the bench but he gets through plenty of work and should be given a shot.

Hinchcliffe showed in the second half that coming off the bench against a tired defence he can have an impact. Was nowhere in the first half but got Country back into the game (along with Carney) and if Farah plays poorly, he's good cover from the bench.

Near misses:
J Tamou - just don't believe he'll be any better than those I've selected
B Ferguson - always a risk of doing a Fergo
K Galloway - has been strong in limited time for Tigers but fitness concerns
A Woods - can't have Merrin, Woods & Sims, not enough FG experience between them
T Williams - could be off the pace after a long layoff

Good team but if as you say this match should be treated as an Origin trial, Merrin or Douglas are out replaced by Woods. His form all year has been outstanding and he was the best prop on the field yesterday easily.

Someone

Bench
Can we please please PLEASE have no more Greg Bird in origin?

The guy was hard 4 years ago. He is a weak, diving lazy cat these days.

Swap Glen Stewart into Didgi's side and you have my preferred team

I Call BS. He was full of energy yesterday and was extremely disappointed about losing to city. Hes a total competitor and if he feels that way about city country then imo his mentality needs to be there for origin.

Latest posts