What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Memberships

parraparraparra

Juniors
Disappointed the arlc don't seem to be doing anything extra to market or promote memberships despite all the money they now have. Could have had a national marketing campaign, some link to the extra bit of the grant to offer say 5000 reduced cost season memberships, better financial incentives for clubs to meet quotas etc. maybe next year when they have more money in the bank?

good point, do we even have membership battles this year?

Joker's Wild

Coach
This argument needs to die a quick death.

Its 3m people spread over a gargantuan area, which makes a big difference if you want people to attend a stadium in Brisbane CBD. Sunshine Coast? What? How many people from there would go to suncorp regularly?

Ive got a nagging feeling people that attend stadiums anywhere live fairly close (within say 15kms) of the stadium. And the further you move from the stadium, the smaller the percentage gets. Most Broncos fans that attend regularly probably live within 0 and 20-30mins from the stadium. Talking about 2 hour trips is ridiculous. You might get a handful of people coming from all corners, but they are an overwhelming minority.

The Ipswich train line is the busiest on Broncos game nights and it is a 45min trip to Suncorp from out there. Plenty of fans travel decent distances to Broncos matches

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why does the population vs membership/crowds argument need to die a quick death? It's directly relative - places with larger populations have a greater market to advertise to... and when a club has a whole city of over a million people to themselves, they need to be doing much better than they are.

hardbaby

Coach
Why does the population vs membership/crowds argument need to die a quick death? It's directly relative - places with larger populations have a greater market to advertise to... and when a club has a whole city of over a million people to themselves, they need to be doing much better than they are.

Agreed. It's a very good barometer.

First Grade
This argument needs to die a quick death.

Its 3m people spread over a gargantuan area, which makes a big difference if you want people to attend a stadium in Brisbane CBD. Sunshine Coast? What? How many people from there would go to suncorp regularly?

Ive got a nagging feeling people that attend stadiums anywhere live fairly close (within say 15kms) of the stadium. And the further you move from the stadium, the smaller the percentage gets. Most Broncos fans that attend regularly probably live within 0 and 20-30mins from the stadium. Talking about 2 hour trips is ridiculous. You might get a handful of people coming from all corners, but they are an overwhelming minority.

You have been shot down by me and several others about how easy it is to go to watch the donkeys play, part of their problem is that there are actually a vast amount of people that just do not like them. I would say as a conservative estimate i have regualr contact with say roughly 90 people, out of the people I have contact with there is 1 (one) that supports the donkeys (my brother in law) there is 4 that support the g/coast and 4 that support cowboys, the remainder all support southern teams. When I ask them why they dont like the boncos the most common response is that they are arrogant. Take from that what you will.

some11

Referee
I'm reserving judgement until late February, there are a lot of people like myself who sign up right before the season starts.

Like Canard said expect around 30k by then with 90% of them being season ticket members.

VictoryFC

Bench

No, simply population vs crowds wasn't my point. I agree that higher population centres contribute to greater attendances. My point was about the concentration of people in these centres, and their distance to the venue. The higher the density in relation to the distance of the ground, the higher you can expect the crowds to be.

All within reason though. You can't expect the majority of people who live an hour away from Suncorp to be regular attendees. The further you get out from Suncorp, the less likely people will come. Its actually a very simple principle, and one thats been proven to be true in leagues in England and the US.

If you drew concentric circles around Suncorp, the percentage of people that attend would diminish the further you went out. Thats logical, and it makes sense.

Now, some people have said that getting from places like Ipswich and whatnot to Suncorp doesnt take long. Lets say its 40 minutes (35kms). That doesn't exclude people from Ipswich getting to Suncorp, but it greatly diminishes the number of the 170,000 people that reside in Ipswich from attending, as opposed to say the number of people living within 10kms of Suncorp.

Saying that there are 3million people who are potential regular attendants at Suncorp by using the Brisbane metro is laughable. The actual catchment area for the Broncos is much smaller than that figure. Don't mistake potential fans with potential attendees. People living in Ipswich can support the Broncos in large numbers through TV, but in much smaller numbers in the stadium. The majority of the Ipswich populace - even if you can make the ground in less than an hour - are prohibited from being a strong potential catchment area because of the distance between it and the ground.

The study I use as a reference is from England 2001 (http://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/48823/1/Document.pdf)

In England you have cities which are much closer than Ipswich is to Brisbane huddled together. Its a small country, and you can get around quite easily. Despite this, the study found that the majority of people who attended (again, not supported, but just attended) grounds regularly lived within 10 miles/15kms of the ground. The further you go above that, the numbers became tiny. And within that 15kms, the concentration of people was much higher the closer they lived to the stadium.

People can point to all the personal evidence they want in this thread, but virtually no one can convince me that Ipswich is a plausible catchment area for the Broncos. "Knowing people" or whatever just isn't good enough. If you got a list of people that attended Suncorp regularly for Broncos matches, I'd be surprised if there were more than 50-100 people from Ipswich, if that.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
This whole conversation feels kind of irrelevant, even if you exclude areas like Ipswich (which is a joke considering how far people expect Sydney fans to travel) Brisbane still have by far the biggest population of people all to themselves.

TheDalek079

Bench
if their location prohibits them from getting to the game, why don't they buy non-ticketed memberships? still would count as a membership so the donkeys should have a much higher number

beave

Coach
8582 for us is pretty good at this time of year, there will be a big push I'd imagine come trial time when we play in Mt Isa, Mackay and Cairns. The last 2 games will draw in about 10k each so they really need to push it to the public of NQ the importance of membership.

First Grade
No, simply population vs crowds wasn't my point. I agree that higher population centres contribute to greater attendances. My point was about the concentration of people in these centres, and their distance to the venue. The higher the density in relation to the distance of the ground, the higher you can expect the crowds to be.

All within reason though. You can't expect the majority of people who live an hour away from Suncorp to be regular attendees. The further you get out from Suncorp, the less likely people will come. Its actually a very simple principle, and one thats been proven to be true in leagues in England and the US.

If you drew concentric circles around Suncorp, the percentage of people that attend would diminish the further you went out. Thats logical, and it makes sense.

Now, some people have said that getting from places like Ipswich and whatnot to Suncorp doesnt take long. Lets say its 40 minutes (35kms). That doesn't exclude people from Ipswich getting to Suncorp, but it greatly diminishes the number of the 170,000 people that reside in Ipswich from attending, as opposed to say the number of people living within 10kms of Suncorp.

Saying that there are 3million people who are potential regular attendants at Suncorp by using the Brisbane metro is laughable. The actual catchment area for the Broncos is much smaller than that figure. Don't mistake potential fans with potential attendees. People living in Ipswich can support the Broncos in large numbers through TV, but in much smaller numbers in the stadium. The majority of the Ipswich populace - even if you can make the ground in less than an hour - are prohibited from being a strong potential catchment area because of the distance between it and the ground.

The study I use as a reference is from England 2001 (http://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/48823/1/Document.pdf)

In England you have cities which are much closer than Ipswich is to Brisbane huddled together. Its a small country, and you can get around quite easily. Despite this, the study found that the majority of people who attended (again, not supported, but just attended) grounds regularly lived within 10 miles/15kms of the ground. The further you go above that, the numbers became tiny. And within that 15kms, the concentration of people was much higher the closer they lived to the stadium.

People can point to all the personal evidence they want in this thread, but virtually no one can convince me that Ipswich is a plausible catchment area for the Broncos. "Knowing people" or whatever just isn't good enough. If you got a list of people that attended Suncorp regularly for Broncos matches, I'd be surprised if there were more than 50-100 people from Ipswich, if that.

The first bolded statement you say people that live an hour away shouldn't be regular attendees? Seriously? Have you ever gone anywhere in Sydney that has taken less than an hour except in the same suburb? There is free public transport there is a train station across the road from Suncorp, Suncorp is then only a couple of stops from the city where people then go out (afterall the majority of games are on Friday nights).

As was pointed out by another poster the busiest the Ipswich train line is happens to be when the donkeys are playing but you say they aren't going to the game so they must just be typical Ipswich bogans and ride into the city on the big shiny train yeehawing in and back out cause it's free.

Are you even from Brisbane or anywhere close to it?

Perth Red

Post Whore

I think you underestimate the motivation to see live RL when there is only one club and one option. I have no problem spending 45 mins to get to nib and would be there every game if we had a team. When here is only one place in the city to see a game you are prepared to trave. I travel 50 mns just to watch our pirates team play in sg ball. I know plenty of people who travel from mandurah to subiaco to watch afl, a journey of 60mins plus.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Latest posts