What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Memberships

tumbidragon

First Grade
Roosters @ 7024 according to members email.
I think easts should be dissapointed if they get <10K members this year. They are a big smokies in my books and could challenge for a top 4 spot if they fire. I'd be excited if I was a roosters fan in 2013.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Roosters @ 7024 according to members email.

Not too bad, we should hit last seasons mark by kickoff easily. I suspect we will get 10k with a good start to the season

With the totals from clubs who declare numbers, i put the NRL at 60% of last years total and thats without the warriors, penrith, manly, canberra and titans who have not released any numbers. But if we assume each has 4,000 as a base rate then its probably more like 70-75%

Anyone else think the real push will start immediately after the all stars?

Ace-STi

Juniors
It must be getting pretty close to that time of year when Souths getting accused of faking their membership numbers, you know, Russell Crowe buying thousands of them, people buying them for their pet rocks etc etc. The 4-5 million already in the bank is obviously a mirage and why don't those twenty thousand odd turn up to every single game. Six million in sponsorship for 2013 (so far) is just more Russell Crowe contra and George would have done heaps better. LOL@souffs. You all know the drill, so fire away...

The 20,000th member just signed up!!

garden-gnome-nrl-rabbitohs-front.jpg

hunters

Juniors
It must be getting pretty close to that time of year when Souths getting accused of faking their membership numbers, you know, Russell Crowe buying thousands of them, people buying them for their pet rocks etc etc. The 4-5 million already in the bank is obviously a mirage and why don't those twenty thousand odd turn up to every single game. Six million in sponsorship for 2013 (so far) is just more Russell Crowe contra and George would have done heaps better. LOL@souffs. You all know the drill, so fire away...
Haha, sad jealous prick.

Big Sam

First Grade
Any argument that we fudge our member figures is completely debunked when you see that our average crowd for 2012 pretty much equaled the number of season ticket holders.

For me the club who fudges figures is the one that offers 6-game memberships for Kogarah and Wollongong and counts them as one instead of half a membership...

Lambretta

First Grade
Can't make a profit from it, either.

Depends on the deal you make with the SFS trust

Our gate averages have been higher since memberships came in because people (like me) have already bought tickets and turn up anyway when normally we wouldn't.

We buy beers, pies, pizzas, water, crisps, chips, merchandise etc (I bought ALL of these things last season) and the revenues earned on these things for the Trust can be used as a bargaining tool to reduce the costs to play at the SFS.

The other bonus is that is spreads the income for the season across the season.

Members who pay in the off season may not do so if packages are more expensive. They may wait a few rounds to see how the team is going. If they are doing well they may decide to buy a reduced price pass for the second half of the season. If the team goes badly they stay at home and don't bother showing up and the club loses out. There's no profit in no one turning up at all either.

The Roosters have a hard gig - they are trying to survive in a crowded market where they are vying for about 30% of what is already an artificially altered small area.

Family members of mine who are born and bred in Coogee follow Souths because Souths "represent" their area. They live about 100 metres from Clovelly Road ffs, right in the heart of the Eastern Suburbs. How are they not Roosters?

Add to that the drain from AFL, Rugby Union and football and the Roosters need to do whatever they can to not only entice their existing fans out of the woodwork they also need to try and attract new supporters. Offering amazing value for money for a season ticket is part of a much longer term plan.

Lambretta

First Grade
I think easts should be dissapointed if they get <10K members this year. They are a big smokies in my books and could challenge for a top 4 spot if they fire. I'd be excited if I was a roosters fan in 2013.

From memory we were well under 10,000 at the start of last season but ended up with more than 11,000 members.

A lot of people buy right before the season starts after the All Stars game and Charity Shield, but more still buy during the season. Part season memberships and the like. I remember us offering memberships for the last 6 home games for example last season.

At 7,000 now, I think we're about 1,000 higher than at the same time last season. That grew to about 8,500 to 9,000 by season start, so 10,000 by start of year is not unimaginable.

Lambretta

First Grade
I think it's more a case of a loyal supporter base confident of a better season than the woeful 2012 the side served up.

Sorry, speak English, I can't understand you Hutty. What are these strange concepts you guys have?

Bandwagon - now there's a word I and all my fellow Easts "supporters" know. (We learnt it from Parramatta supporters on a cultural exchange)

dogslife

Coach
Any argument that we fudge our member figures is completely debunked when you see that our average crowd for 2012 pretty much equaled the number of season ticket holders.

For me the club who fudges figures is the one that offers 6-game memberships for Kogarah and Wollongong and counts them as one instead of half a membership...
19000 crowd avg does not equal 22,000 members

franklin2323

Immortal
Not unespected....Backlash from last years crap....many said they werent re-newing

Same with Penrith. The only thing we have been told is more then this time last year. No word on how much more. Though I know of atleast 20 people that aren't re-signing just in my bay alone.

H.H

Juniors
From memory we were well under 10,000 at the start of last season but ended up with more than 11,000 members.

A lot of people buy right before the season starts after the All Stars game and Charity Shield, but more still buy during the season. Part season memberships and the like. I remember us offering memberships for the last 6 home games for example last season.

At 7,000 now, I think we're about 1,000 higher than at the same time last season. That grew to about 8,500 to 9,000 by season start, so 10,000 by start of year is not unimaginable.

We got just over 10k last year...just shy of out 2011 record...they're aiming for 12k this year and I reckon we'll get it.

We're ahead of all previous totals at this time of year and SBW has not been used in any promotions as yet...12k would be good IMO...20% increase is not bad and if we do have a good season, then that can grow again.

Yeh, fair call LR but I'd bet you're happy to take the other cliches. You know, 'pride of the league' or everybody's favourite; 'the game's doing well when Souths are doing well' in spite of steady crowd and viewer ratings increases every year, including Souths wooden spoon years.

Lucky Roy

Juniors
Yeh, fair call LR but I'd bet you're happy to take the other cliches. You know, 'pride of the league' or everybody's favourite; 'the game's doing well when Souths are doing well' in spite of steady crowd and viewer ratings increases every year, including Souths wooden spoon years.

Possible fair call, BOR. Except those cliches (and that's what they are) were made by others and were made a long time ago. They weren't originated by anyone at Souths. As for being happy to take them, I'm not. I'm embarrassed by them.

Souths are now more than standing on their own two feet both on and off the field. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed that this has been the case since the new ownership took over. Those with longer memories will remember that, although they didn't win anything major, they were a pretty strong team all through the eighties. And obviously before them. Then we had a change in management that held sway for the worst times, playing and financially, for the duration of the period that followed.

The person responsible (he did his best - just didn't have a clue) is now the go to guy for 2GB and the DT whenever Souths lose two in a row. All well and good. The club will wear that and bank the ten million annual improvement in revenue they receive since he was ousted (he thought sponsors were wankers but he was happy to take their money - not that there was much while he was in charge). The hard decisions have been made at Souths. I can think of at least four Sydney based clubs that are still clinging to the "good old days". They would be the clubs in 5000-6000 member range and still playing out of suburban tin sheds.

Big Sam

First Grade
19000 crowd avg does not equal 22,000 members

Didn't say members I said season ticket holders. About 3k of our members are not season ticket holders (mainly interstate fans and fans who are ANZ members but don't need another ticket).

Possible fair call, BOR. Except those cliches (and that's what they are) were made by others and were made a long time ago. They weren't originated by anyone at Souths. As for being happy to take them, I'm not. I'm embarrassed by them.

Souths are now more than standing on their own two feet both on and off the field. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed that this has been the case since the new ownership took over. Those with longer memories will remember that, although they didn't win anything major, they were a pretty strong team all through the eighties. And obviously before them. Then we had a change in management that held sway for the worst times, playing and financially, for the duration of the period that followed.

The person responsible (he did his best - just didn't have a clue) is now the go to guy for 2GB and the DT whenever Souths lose two in a row. All well and good. The club will wear that and bank the ten million annual improvement in revenue they receive since he was ousted (he thought sponsors were wankers but he was happy to take their money - not that there was much while he was in charge). The hard decisions have been made at Souths. I can think of at least four Sydney based clubs that are still clinging to the "good old days". They would be the clubs in 5000-6000 member range and still playing out of suburban tin sheds.

It's not like Souths are alone with the repetitive comments. Look at us for example. We rort the system every year, even when we're coming last. Players only go there to retire. Kerry Packer is giving money beyond the grave and Politis is still giving money away even though he stopped once he joined the board. At least you have some positive cliches so don't be embarrassed.

Latest posts