What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Memberships

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Shows what good business it was by them to get the ACT Govt to pay them to play there!

^The comment is valid, but I wouldn't call it good business sense - MP Andrew Barr is clearly batting for the AFL. The deal was basically a saftey cusion for GWS unprofitably playing in front of no one at Manuka cloaked up as some sort of sports funding program to bring "high quality" sport to Canberra.

Last edited:

slm9

Juniors
Updated for the latest figures from the tele.
NRLMembers2009-2013_zps40e2463d.jpg

Eddie Lab

Juniors
great update slm9

7 thousand increase in 5 days(since the last update) isn't too bad.

we are still 30k off from last years total and have 10 days till kick off. doesn't seem likely that it will be better then last year at kick off but I assume people can/will buy memberships during the start season.

Big Sam

First Grade
So we're to only club (so far) to have bettered our membership figure from the previous season for 5 straight years.

Not bad at all.

In fact if we had the figures from as far bad as 2005, I'd say we've probably bettered the previous season's amount for the last 8 years.

Last edited:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
If Parramatta can have a few good seasons in a row we will be a serious chance of getting 20k members,we got dis,Ricky's got dis,Josh Papali has no clue if he has got dis

H.H

Juniors
So we're to only club (so far) to have bettered our membership figure from the previous season for 5 straight years.

Not bad at all.

In fact if we had the figures from as far bad as 2005, I'd say we've probably bettered the previous season's amount for the last 8 years.
Chooks will do it when 2013 is said and done.

9,133 now - http://www.roosters.com.au/

juro

Bench

Not bad at all.

Well done to Souths for continuing to grow year on year. Other clubs who grew for the past 4 years and have a chance of growing again this year are:
Roosters (-12%)
Raiders (-13%)
Tigers (-15%)
Knights (-26%)
Storm (-27%)
Sea Eagles (-29%)
Broncos (-31%)

Chances are, at least one other club will also be able to claim growth in all of their last 5 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Knights seem to be suffering from the Tinkly fall out
Broncos no idea why the drop?
Storm would have to be disappointed on back of a premiership but they need to introduce a non ticketed option
Well done to Dragons fans on showing faith in the face of no real hope of a great season ahead
Warriors astound me given they are probably the club with the biggest fanbase outside of their immediate city/suburb, need to find a way of turning that international supporter base into members

rnb11

Juniors
No point comparing pre-season membership numbers to end of season membership numbers. Clubs have 7 months to make those final numbers up.

The Great Dane

First Grade
^The comment is valid, but I wouldn't call it good business sense - MP Andrew Barr is clearly batting for the AFL. The deal was basically a saftey cusion for GWS unprofitably playing in front of no one at Manuka cloaked up as some sort of sports funding program to bring "high quality" sport to Canberra.

Yep that's the truth of it, Barrstard has always been in the AFLs corner.

Suspiciously he always does what is best for the AFL, one such example is the recent talks of a new indoor stadium to be built down here, he is the only one who wants the stadium to be a "multipurpose" stadium (which is basically a round stadium in this case), which would be completely useless to the main groups lobbying for it (the Raiders, Brumbies and Canberra United) who all play on rectangular fields.

So if he gets his way Canberra spends millions upon millions for a new stadium that would only be use by GWS 3-4 times a year and the odd cricket game, while the sports and teams that have been in Canberra for generations and could use the stadium all year round (if we get a team in the A-league especially) would still be playing at Canberra stadium while we waste millions of taxpayers dollars to maintain he's great waste of space on top of his upgraded Manuka oval and old faithful but unfortunately inadequate Bruce stadium.

Von

Juniors
Yep that's the truth of it, Barrstard has always been in the AFLs corner.

Suspiciously he always does what is best for the AFL, one such example is the recent talks of a new indoor stadium to be built down here, he is the only one who wants the stadium to be a "multipurpose" stadium (which is basically a round stadium in this case), which would be completely useless to the main groups lobbying for it (the Raiders, Brumbies and Canberra United) who all play on rectangular fields.

So if he gets his way Canberra spends millions upon millions for a new stadium that would only be use by GWS 3-4 times a year and the odd cricket game, while the sports and teams that have been in Canberra for generations and could use the stadium all year round (if we get a team in the A-league especially) would still be playing at Canberra stadium while we waste millions of taxpayers dollars to maintain he's great waste of space on top of his upgraded Manuka oval and old faithful but unfortunately inadequate Bruce stadium.

As a fellow Canberran, I second this! Well said Great Dane!

flippikat

Bench
Warriors astound me given they are probably the club with the biggest fanbase outside of their immediate city/suburb, need to find a way of turning that international supporter base into members

Yeah, tapping into that market of fans outside Auckland is the challenge - there's plenty who can't get to the games week-in, week-out.

Taking the odd game outside of Auckland & offering a ticket deal & members function to that could be part of the solution, I think.

Lambretta

First Grade
Go through his posts. He constantly complains and hangs shit on the game. PR is a f**k wit.

If there is an issue that requires highlighting, how is that hanging shit on something?

PR is a genuine supporter from what I have read and he talks about real issues.

Pretending they're not problems doesn't mean they're no longer problems.

I would rather listen to a whinger and breathe than sit with my head buried in the sand and suffocate.

Lambretta

First Grade
Well done to Souths for continuing to grow year on year. Other clubs who grew for the past 4 years and have a chance of growing again this year are:
Roosters (-12%)
Raiders (-13%)
Tigers (-15%)
Knights (-26%)
Storm (-27%)
Sea Eagles (-29%)
Broncos (-31%)

Chances are, at least one other club will also be able to claim growth in all of their last 5 years.

The Roosters will exceed their 2012 membership numbers - the figure for this year is ahead of where we were at this point last year.

Especially as we're now only about 9% down on last years end of season total.

If the Raiders and Tigers win early games I would expect their numbers to jump significantly from where they are now. I will even say the same of the Knights who I think could be a dark horse for the top 6.

The real worry are the Boncos - I feel their figures for last season were fairly poor given their many advantages and to be down by a third this close to the season starting is very disappointing.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If there is an issue that requires highlighting, how is that hanging shit on something?

PR is a genuine supporter from what I have read and he talks about real issues.

Pretending they're not problems doesn't mean they're no longer problems.

I would rather listen to a whinger and breathe than sit with my head buried in the sand and suffocate.

I didn't suggest he was an AFL troll. But he is a negative, pessimistic f**k wit who thinks Perth are entitled to a team over existing teams.

Clarke

Juniors
This is true, but in my experience the vast majority of Canberrans that buy the Giants tickets are not Giants fans but buy the tickets because it is the cheapest and easiest way for them to see any AFL live, unless they have kids at school in which case they'll get free tickets from the Giants when they come to town.

Relocating the Giants to Canberra would not work unless the Giants were completely re branded to the point that they are no longer the Giants.

It wouldn't work because you would turn off half your potential supporters base, by having a team from Western Sydney wearing Orange and Charcoal you would create a sigma of them not really being a Canberran team but leftovers from Sydney, and that would be enough to cut your average crowd down from 10-12k to 5-7k and then if they were having a bad year that crowd would take another large hit and a couple of bad years latter and the Giants would be broke again and unsustainable.

No if you were going to relocate the Giants it would have to be to a place like Tasmania where they are desperate for a team.

GWS crowd average is 8k anyway when you take away the match boosting game against the Swans conveniently played on a weekend without any other AFL on with lots of air traffic from Melbourne to Sydney going on.

H.H

Juniors
The Roosters will exceed their 2012 membership numbers - the figure for this year is ahead of where we were at this point last year.

Especially as we're now only about 9% down on last years end of season total.

Apparently we're about 27% up on our numbers at this time last year. Our target of 12k is looking very achievable.

Latest posts