What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Memberships

oh wot rot

you have 12 opportunities to see your club at home with about 10 of them locked in to set dates, months in advance & across all 4 days Fri to Mon
( exception the broncos)

And the lack of Sunday games sucks for the Broncos, too, might I add. As a Broncos member who is not afraid to travel to games (from the end of one of the train lines) it is frustrating that every game is on Friday, as I pretty much have to crawl home in the Friday arvo traffic and then turn around and get all the way into town again. I know I am not the only one who is well and truly over this.

This crappy draw (for me) is compounded by the fact that our only two non-FNF games in the locked in part of the draw are both Monday night games... A couple of Sunday arvo games (the best way to enjoy footy for me) wouldn't hurt. Even a Saturday night game is less stressful to get to.

That said, there are four home games in the last five rounds, so we will see if our beneficent overlords at Channel Nine will bestow some variety on us.

you would assume though, Cowboys would have a heap of support though in those areas that are just outside of Townsville. It adds up.

What do you mean by "just outside" Townsville? Up to Ingham? Down to Ayr? Giru? Maybe even out to Charters Towers? Hardly adds a great deal to the population base.

applesauce

Bench
And the lack of Sunday games sucks for the Broncos, too, might I add. As a Broncos member who is not afraid to travel to games (from the end of one of the train lines) it is frustrating that every game is on Friday, as I pretty much have to crawl home in the Friday arvo traffic and then turn around and get all the way into town again. I know I am not the only one who is well and truly over this.

This crappy draw (for me) is compounded by the fact that our only two non-FNF games in the locked in part of the draw are both Monday night games... A couple of Sunday arvo games (the best way to enjoy footy for me) wouldn't hurt. Even a Saturday night game is less stressful to get to.

That said, there are four home games in the last five rounds, so we will see if our beneficent overlords at Channel Nine will bestow some variety on us.

It's forcing the Broncos to draw on members from the inner city only.

It's forcing the Broncos to draw on members from the inner city only.

I can only speak anecdotally, so take this with a grain of salt, but I know a handful of people from out my way whose attendance has dropped off a fair bit in the last couple of seasons. It isn't that they are any less fans -- it's just a pain in the neck to get there on Fridays.

Canard

Immortal
What do you mean by "just outside" Townsville? Up to Ingham? Down to Ayr? Giru? Maybe even out to Charters Towers? Hardly adds a great deal to the population base.

Out of Towners would find it hard to commit to a full 11 game membership, as its only value if you attend all the games, which 95% won't. That said you would think out of town memberships (which I have) would be higher, considering they are only around $50.

No doubting the Cowboys crowd numbers have been down a lot in recent seasons, the economy up north is struggling a lot worse than most of Australia (and has been for a while even during the "boom" times of the VIC,NSW and QLD).

It will be interesting to see how the fixed schedule influences crowds all across the comp, despite the concerns above, I reckon it will be a positive effect as people can plan there travel etc. months in advance.

For example Im going to fly up to Townsville this year now that I know when games are scheduled.

firechild

First Grade
Broncos, Knights, Sea Eagles are the big concerns right now I reckon.

Manly had a fan day on the weekend and membership numbers haven't been updated since about Tuesday of last week.
Add to that we start with an away game so plenty of people haven't signed up yet given the first home game is still over a week away. Manly tend to have a late surge as many members just buy a season GA ticket.

firechild

First Grade
If u work in the city why go home first? Why not goto the footy then home.

Pick up wife and/or kids? This is the case for many people and it makes night games that aren't near home difficult. Same argument for not moving Manly, Cronulla, Illawarra, Penrith, etc to larger stadiums.

beave

Coach
their 2012 tally was up until June 30th

if they start well .... they'll pick up several thousand more members in the next month to 6 weeks
meaning a 20 to 25% increase on 2012.

and Roosters officials are confident they'll average over 18,000 this year
so
SBW has paid for himself through increased gate & membership monies alone.[
/QUOTE]

If that happens. They are projections of course. If it doesn't happen then.....

Are you basing this on research and past results?

How about we wait and see how the crowds react to Thursday night games before anyone burst something they don't want to over it.

Shit dude. Talk a out going off early, especially in terms of the Cowboys. Only a few hundred away from surpassing last years total.

Also, how is Townsville a "major city"?

I thought it was because you're always on it.

Yeah we're always 'on it' up here...................... Wait a minute, you're talking about something different :D:D

applesauce

Bench
If u work in the city why go home first? Why not goto the footy then home.

Start work at 8:30am be up at 7am, work all day finish at 5pm, wait around 2.5hrs until kickoff, watch the game, get in bed by 10:30/11pm....

Your right more people should want to do this. :sarcasm:

applesauce

Bench
Manly had a fan day on the weekend and membership numbers haven't been updated since about Tuesday of last week.
Add to that we start with an away game so plenty of people haven't signed up yet given the first home game is still over a week away. Manly tend to have a late surge as many members just buy a season GA ticket.

Their Facebook page is updated daily. They only added 200+ from the fan day.

Currently at 7,589

papabear

Juniors
Start work at 8:30am be up at 7am, work all day finish at 5pm, wait around 2.5hrs until kickoff, watch the game, get in bed by 10:30/11pm....

I do it all the time going to a pub with a mate before the souths game and I'm not even a fan of the clubs.

franklin2323

Immortal
Pick up wife and/or kids? This is the case for many people and it makes night games that aren't near home difficult. Same argument for not moving Manly, Cronulla, Illawarra, Penrith, etc to larger stadiums.

Yeah. I go to pretty much every Penrith game. You can count on 1 hand the amount of times in the last 4 years the misses and or kid has come. It's just impossible to do unless Sundays for me and this fixed draw helps. RDO's on the Monday before Parra/Penrith.

Clarke

Juniors
whats he on ..... 600K ?

according to the tele a few days ago
the 40K plus crowd for Thursday .. double last years game against the Rabbits , plus extra hosptality suites taken (60 out of 65 are booked for thursday)
will net the Chooks an extra 1 million alone for Thursday night.

no projections
hes paid for himself before hes taken the field.

So IF a crowd of 40,000 turns up he has earn the Roosters an extra million. I think the crowd will be jus below 40,000 but we'll see. Everything else is a projection as he currently has had no effect (either way) on the sales of other clubs atm.

You're not the first person to say this, but I will ask again: what exactly aren't the Broncos doing re: membership? To call their approach a few ads and posters is misleading.

Their billboard/poster presence around town (the bits I go to, which are down Old Cleveland Road, around Carindale and Mt Gravatt and in the CBD) is extensive. Their print advertising in the C-M is consistent. Their social media presence (especially Twitter) is continuous and engaging, not static -- and they also had the interactive video last year. They also do radio/tv ads. At the games, membership is pushed all year.

Most importantly, they have a range of membership structures, and the multi-game (1-3 games) evolve throughout the year. For example, from memory, last year there was the one game membership for the Cowboys opener, the Farewell Petro memberships towards the end of the season etc. And again, these are heavily promoted in the media.

Is everyone upset that their pre-Round 1 figure isn't year where it was at the end of last season? Well, that is hardly surprisingly. The Broncos membership push won't end on Friday.

As I said in another thread, not a lot of love for the Broncos in these parts. But to say that they don't take memberships seriously isn't really accurate.

And as I also said elsewhere, if nothing else, I love the fact they stick it up the Lions by having a ludicrous amount of posters on telegraph poles outside the Gabba.

I'm no expert but there must be something they aren't doing. Call the guy in charge of Memberships at Cronulla (formerly worked with QLD Reds). He made the QLD reds to from not much to a hell of a lot and huge increase in Sharks memberships this year as well. There has to be something they arent doing.

So IF a crowd of 40,000 turns up he has earn the Roosters an extra million. I think the crowd will be jus below 40,000 but we'll see. Everything else is a projection as he currently has had no effect (either way) on the sales of other clubs atm.

I'm no expert but there must be something they aren't doing. Call the guy in charge of Memberships at Cronulla (formerly worked with QLD Reds). He made the QLD reds to from not much to a hell of a lot and huge increase in Sharks memberships this year as well. There has to be something they arent doing.

The Reds had two things happen at the same time that has served them well:

1. They completely rebranded, ditching maroon and blue for a single red onfield kit, which coincided with...
  2. On field success

When the second item disappears, so will the stratospheric memberships. As to how many BJRU players get Reds memberships as part of their registration, I can't say, but I've heard tell that it is quite a few. Anyone else got some info on this?

Either way, the successful team in Brisbane will always have good support. The last decade has seen this cycle through the Lions (threepeat years), the Broncos and currently the Reds. The Lions have completely dropped away to their residual levels of support, which are much smaller than what the Broncos are pulling in. The Reds residual level is probably somewhere between the door.

And either either way, I think it is pretty premature to judge the memberships right now. The Broncos were pushing them heavily pretty much to the end of the season ("Farewell Petro membership") last year, and they got great numbers. There's no reason to suspect that they are not going to push them all year in 2013.

Last edited:
00002169-image.jpg

Bay City

Juniors

Work a bare bones 8.30 to 5 day; watch a game of footy; get 8 hours sleep before having to go to work for one more day. I don't think your painting the case of hardship that you think you are.

Latest posts