What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 QLD Origin Side

Son of Minto

Bench
Chambers having another great game tonight. Very handy back up to have, plus he'd be comfortable outside Cronk and Slater.

Dazzat

First Grade
What a great luxury ... if Cronk is ruled out due suspension (which would be an absolute crime as all he did was fall with the attacker's leg with no lifting), we can bring Cherry-Evans straight in.

Different story with Shillington. With Hannant already out it would leave our front row stocks depleted - particularly big front rowers.

Bretto

Bench
Hodges is a real liability defensive wise. I'm sure if he's picked, NSW will look to attack his side often.

isaiah

Bench
What a great luxury ... if Cronk is ruled out due suspension (which would be an absolute crime as all he did was fall with the attacker's leg with no lifting), we can bring Cherry-Evans straight in.

Different story with Shillington. With Hannant already out it would leave our front row stocks depleted - particularly big front rowers.

what are people's thoughts on how bad shillo's tackle was?

big hit!

Bench
I'm seeing a few probable QLD teams going down the mobile forward route without a new prop being blooded to replace Petero or Hannant, and stacking the squad with backrowers like NSW. Thaiday might be playing as a prop for Broncos. Doesn't mean he is really a prop. I would've thought that the platform Canterbury's big blokes in Kasiano and Graham provided on Friday night is evidence of the importance of props on the rugby league field. REAL PROPS.

I've been banging on about this in the NSW thread. Surely Meninga and the selectors aren't going to make the same mistake as Stuart has made in the past and Daley seems to be about to make this year.

Strength in the smaller forwards doesn't mean that they all get picked and some shifted to the big man role in the middle. Myles, yes. Thaiday, a resounding no here.

If QLD don't look at bringing in at least one new middle big man, then I start to like the NSW chances.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a few probable QLD teams going down the mobile forward route without a new prop being blooded to replace Petero or Hannant, and stacking the squad with backrowers like NSW. Thaiday might be playing as a prop for Broncos. Doesn't mean he is really a prop. I would've thought that the platform Canterbury's big blokes in Kasiano and Graham provided on Friday night is evidence of the importance of props on the rugby league field. REAL PROPS.

I've been banging on about this in the NSW thread. Surely Meninga and the selectors aren't going to make the same mistake as Stuart has made in the past and Daley seems to be about to make this year.

Strength in the smaller forwards doesn't mean that they all get picked and some shifted to the big man role in the middle. Myles, yes. Thaiday, a resounding no here.

If QLD don't look at bringing in at least one new middle big man, then I start to like the NSW chances.
Anyone who thinks lillyman wont be on the bench for hannant is living in an aternate universe.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The difference between NSW and Queensland is that the roaches have tried to generate points through their forward pack. Queensland rely on their forwards to create the space for their halves and backs to weave their magic.

It is a completely different mindset.

With this in mind it is understandable why a NSWelshman would snigger at someone like J. Lillyman getting picked this year, yet us Queenslanders will know he will do his job in solid fashion as he always has. Our props have a very specific job, and it is very much a team effort with four large bodies required to get it done. I see no reason why Meninga won't rely on Lillyman again this year given Hannant's injury, and perhaps drafting M. Kennedy into the system.

isaiah

Bench
The difference between NSW and Queensland is that the roaches have tried to generate points through their forward pack. Queensland rely on their forwards to create the space for their halves and backs to weave their magic.

With this in mind it is understandable why a NSWelshman would snigger at someone like J. Lillyman getting picked this year, yet us Queenslanders will know he will do his job in solid fashion as he always has. Our props have a very specific job, and it is very much a team effort with four large bodies required to get it done. I see no reason why Meninga won't rely on Lillyman again this year given Hannant's injury, and perhaps drafting M. Kennedy into the system.
agree, and lillyman seems to be playing well just now. by the stats, anyway.

big hit!

Bench
Anyone who thinks lillyman wont be on the bench for hannant is living in an aternate universe.

agree, and lillyman seems to be playing well just now. by the stats, anyway.

fair enough. and I agree with all of you.

what prompted my post was all the talk I had been hearing on this morning's footy show. Lillyman was discussed, but the probable team that was listed, as well as the talk, particularly from Lockyer and Slater, was of shifting both Myles and Thaiday to the prop role and loading the bench with smaller forwards like T'eo, Gillett, McQueen, etc. Sounded very un-QLD like, and really surprising from Lockyer.

Bretto

Bench

what prompted my post was all the talk I had been hearing on this morning's footy show. Lillyman was discussed, but the probable team that was listed, as well as the talk, particularly from Lockyer and Slater, was of shifting both Myles and Thaiday to the prop role and loading the bench with smaller forwards like T'eo, Gillett, McQueen, etc. Sounded very un-QLD like, and really surprising from Lockyer.

Mate, classic diversion tactic, oldest trick in the book. :lol:

Why would QLD change to NSW's losing formula?

proto

Juniors
Lillyman is reliable as shit. Kennedy also runs hard up the middle but has that little X factor that stands him out a bit. They should both be there.

Latest posts