What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 memberships

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because the contra is a finite resource the ARLC possess and there is undoubtedly a more cost effective way to use it than handing it to clubs and saying "just do your best..."

And that would be? What activities have the NRL undertaken to boost membership sales for this year?

Lambretta

First Grade
The Tigers membership numbers are a good indication of the following

That the Tigers supporters base contain a lot of fair weather fans
The Benji factor
Their fans aren't confident in the club or it's recruitment policy
They're sick of constantly missing the top 8

Personally I think the Tigers have the potential to not completely suck in 2014. They have some young kids coming through that will be amazing to watch and I can really see them playing some spectacular football.

If I were a Tigers supporter I'd definitely get one of their limited game memberships and go to the games that weren't in Campbelltown. (because I live in the North)

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
And that would be? What activities have the NRL undertaken to boost membership sales for this year?

In terms of the contra money, just a lot of those videos above.

When it is a choice between splitting the money between 16 clubs and letting each use that small fraction to advertise to their own little market, or pool all of the funds, produce well constructed videos and play them fewer times in much better time slots, the latter is inarguably the better option.

cleary89

Coach
Two blokes manning the phones all week??

Please tell me it's early in the morning and my sarcasm sector is off...

They should be running radio ads all over Sydney, they should have a 2014 membership tv ad focussing on the promising juniors for the next few months, there should be partial page ads in the sport sections of the SMH & DT and full page ads in the local district newspapers. Etc, etc, etc

Obviously convincing existing fans to sign up is failing, they need to appeal to that huge and latent supporter base all over the greater Sydney area.

Isn't it like 30k for a half page ad in the DT?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure but it is rumoured many clubs have a "fan" base in access of 200k+. To only be attracting 10k of those as members is not a great indicator of success at this time. It's about community profile and engaging with the fanbase. It's great to see the strides finally being made to take memberships seriously and increase but it seems for a lot of clubs the % growth is quite small.

Maybe the NRL could target those clubs with small memberships and give them support in terms of marketing and membership know how from clubs/code that are successful? Maybe also some analysis of why some clubs that are struggling and a plan to help them sort it out.

We are growing and that is positive but we have only scratched the surface with many clubs.

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
The Tigers membership numbers are a good indication of the following

That the Tigers supporters base contain a lot of fair weather fans
The Benji factor
Their fans aren't confident in the club or it's recruitment policy
They're sick of constantly missing the top 8

Personally I think the Tigers have the potential to not completely suck in 2014. They have some young kids coming through that will be amazing to watch and I can really see them playing some spectacular football.

If I were a Tigers supporter I'd definitely get one of their limited game memberships and go to the games that weren't in Campbelltown. (because I live in the North)

Would be interesting to see what area's the majority of there members come from. Wouldn't be suprised if Campbelltown area is under represtented. Funnily enough the only place I see people wearing tigers gear is fairfield/cabra/canley vale area. Balmain area no one seems to care and I image Campbelltown feels ripped off by the merger, the area really deserves its own team

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They've been running similar membership ads for the last three off seasons, hardly breaking any new ground.

perhaps it isnt groundbreaking or inovative, but its a damn sight more effective than 16 clubs running their own little marketing campaign with 1/16 the funds...

Not sure but it is rumoured many clubs have a "fan" base in access of 200k+. To only be attracting 10k of those as members is not a great indicator of success at this time. It's about community profile and engaging with the fanbase. It's great to see the strides finally being made to take memberships seriously and increase but it seems for a lot of clubs the % growth is quite small.

Maybe the NRL could target those clubs with small memberships and give them support in terms of marketing and membership know how from clubs/code that are successful? Maybe also some analysis of why some clubs that are struggling and a plan to help them sort it out.

We are growing and that is positive but we have only scratched the surface with many clubs.

Sure, that sounds great, but its not going to be helped within a tv ad campaign. This kind of marketing is just to make the idea of buying a membership seem normal (as it does in the AFL).

Maybe the ARLC should move in and help the smaller clubs create and execute membership campaigns, but that would be through local carnivals/fan days/running stalls at games/ect., not with channel nine and fox sports ad space.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Isn't it like 30k for a half page ad in the DT?

Peanuts compared to the millions a cememented-on membership base brings in. Only needs one or two bottom eighth ads to get that wide exposure. Some full page ads in local/regional newspapers with helpful directions on parking/stuff to do after the game, etc included.

Obviously the CM doesn't cost the same to advertise in as the DT or SMH but all of the Brisbane sports teams use it to advertise either for members, for big/derby games, etc. Even the Roar have ads on the best ways to arrive at the game.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Surprised some of the contra from the TV deals isn't being used to give clubs membership ads on TV.
Yeah good point.

I expected that contra would go towards something like Broncos Insider tv show ( I'm assuming it's coming back this season??) for each club and then playing the Melb Storm one on all Vic

I've seen stacks of tv ads this year.

Yeah, like the one specifically aimed at memberships.

[youtube]NFe-KD7UpNI[/youtube]

Club centric tv commercials focussing on becoming club members, not just a catch-all NRL one.

Like the Broncos - Fan vs Member tvc for 2014 or the Gold Coast - Need You Now campaign in 2013

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I feel the memberships are finally starting to reach a "tipping" point

This happens when the fans start thinking " oh shit all my mates are members" I must be missing out on something

Souths have already tipped, few others going close

LJC

Juniors
Sadly Monday night is the big money earner from Pay TV so is here to stay, he who pays the piper and all that.

I expect the Sunday night game will become the slot the NRL include when they finally bring in two new teams and have an extra game slot to play with. Good for TV, good for fans, good for live coverage. Will be interesting to see if there is a fight between pay tv and FTA to own it.

Cannot believe that Monday night games are still on in the days leading up to a S.O.O. game! Fox could have easily shown a 6.30pm Sunday night game. That would have given the fans and clubs some reprieve with 4 weekends of no Monday night football.

Monday night footy is one of the biggest issues for fans and club membership and for that matter weekly club planning. I am a big fan of the game and always stated: "the more RL the better", but in this case, I have seen more angst in the RL community due to Monday night games.

Give us a our weekend back! And give the clubs back a full working week to prepare for their next game! Amen!

Bronco Rob

Juniors

I've always thought the clubs should send players and front office staff to shopping centres or the main mall in their precincts and sell the membership packages especially during school holidays where the shopping centres are packed. It's a great way to integrate with the community and sell some memberships at the same time especially before Christmas.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I feel the memberships are finally starting to reach a "tipping" point

This happens when the fans start thinking " oh shit all my mates are members" I must be missing out on something

Souths have already tipped, few others going close

It looks more like a big gap opening between the haves 20k+ and the have nots 10k. Would be good to see the NRL helping the have nots to catch up.

Saint Doc

Coach
I was thinking about jerseys and memberships.

Most jerseys retail for $160, but clubs still make a profit at $100

Most non ticketed memberships are around $60.

Why don't you sell jerseys to members for $100, and everyone that walks into your club shop or orders online has the option of paying $160 for a jersey or $160 for a jersey and non ticketed membership?

Latest posts