What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Draw

SharkShocked

Bench
Another positive is that we don't leave Sydney until the Round 17? game against the Donkeys. Not much travel involved at all.

Except of course in the home stretch the last 4 ish weeks.

Round 22 NZ v Cronulla Mt Smart
Round 23 Melbourne v Cronulla AAMI
Round 24 Cronulla v Canberra Remondis
Round 25 Nth QLD v Cronulla 1300 Smiles
Round 26 Wests v Cronulla Leichhardt

DJShaksta

First Grade
Sharks: so we are looking for some sponsorship for our jersey and shorts.
Prospective Sponsor: ok, how much free to air coverage will we get?
Sharks: um, well, 4 games all year but........
Prospective Sponsor: click.

Big LIMA

Juniors
Except of course in the home stretch the last 4 ish weeks.

Round 22 NZ v Cronulla Mt Smart
Round 23 Melbourne v Cronulla AAMI
Round 24 Cronulla v Canberra Remondis
Round 25 Nth QLD v Cronulla 1300 Smiles
Round 26 Wests v Cronulla Leichhardt

You're right, I was trying to be optimistic but oh well...

To NZ, back to Melbourne, back home, and then up north, back to Sydney. :(
Let's just hope we don't get the Cowboys or Warriors or anything like that in week 1 of the finals.

Our only 2 friday night games will be replays with a low Sydney audience. Nice for the likes of Quigs who gets them live. Does Tweed Heads get the Queensland games Live ?

Round 16 Manly v Easts
Round 19 Parra v Souffs

Even if Parra tank again they'll still get the live game.

Channel 9 have basically said to Sharks, Raiders, Warriors & Storm fans you are not wanted for FTA espically on Friday night, then lets get together fans of these 4 clubs and say F**k them, we wont watch at all, have your 12 team comp on 9 you wont see us watching

Snoop Shark

First Grade
It's a ploy to get us to go under if I've ever seen.

All these bullshit workplace laws that are in place I'm pretty sure we can dig something up on the grounds of discrimination or something along those lines

Southern Shark

Juniors
Channel Nine is to blame for declining TV audiences. Teams that get flogged each week like Tigers and Eels are on free to air regularly. Tigers have 10 free to air and Eels get 7. Year after year sides like Sharks, Storm, Warriors, Raiders and Panthers get less than four free to air appearances each year. NRL needs to address the imbalance by giving compo to clubs that Channel Nine refuse to show. Channel nine is basically controlling the wealth of each club propping up some and letting others go broke by shunning their brands.

Quigs

Immortal
BE WARNED .... BE VERY WARNED.....

Channel Nein is / has too munch say in the running of the NRL. The NRL is shit scared of the big boys and the big players. (News LTD and Nein)

There is to be a proposed inquiry into the sustainablity of clubs in 2015 I believe.

I have a real bad taste that some clubs are being set up .... and guess who I think they are aiming at.

Channel Nein has a lot to do with this, mark my words. Its all about ratings remember.

Set us up to look bad... chip away, chip away.... make certain rules.

Remember the fiasco when the Rorters didn't meet the criteria all those years ago. The league simply moved the goal posts.

Stay on your toes Sharkies.... we have no friends at NRL HQ

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Channel Nine is to blame for declining TV audiences. Teams that get flogged each week like Tigers and Eels are on free to air regularly. Tigers have 10 free to air and Eels get 7. Year after year sides like Sharks, Storm, Warriors, Raiders and Panthers get less than four free to air appearances each year. NRL needs to address the imbalance by giving compo to clubs that Channel Nine refuse to show. Channel nine is basically controlling the wealth of each club propping up some and letting others go broke by shunning their brands.
That is a good idea Southern. It does go against my natural traits of free markets however, on this occasion, market controls need to be instigated. Perhaps sponsorship dollars should be Pooled & divvied out evenly?

carcharias

Immortal
we have a shit load of Saturday arvo/night games.

That used to be our big game day...nothing stopping it being so again if it is marketed correctly.
If the team do their bit and win , I am sure us supporters will get down there.

f**k the draw, the nrl and ch9.
No point hoping they are going to give us help.

Vin Fizz

Bench
This is a bit of a tangent but still related to the topic. Did anyone see the piece on Pox Sports last night that ranked the AFL and NRL teams in order of brand? They only showed the top 20 and number one was the Chocky Soldiers. Yup ahead of the likes of Collingwood and the AFL big brands and obviously all the NRL ones as well. I didnt hear the discussion (just bare details) but the gist was a brand could be heavily influenced by diverse business interests. The chockies have Panfers world of entertainment and a business Group that puts them at the top of the list. Now, if that's the case we will have some pretty diverse interests when the development is operational i'd a thought. That might make a few like Nien sit up a bit more perhaps.

Madsharkie

First Grade
This is a bit of a tangent but still related to the topic. Did anyone see the piece on Pox Sports last night that ranked the AFL and NRL teams in order of brand? They only showed the top 20 and number one was the Chocky Soldiers. Yup ahead of the likes of Collingwood and the AFL big brands and obviously all the NRL ones as well. I didnt hear the discussion (just bare details) but the gist was a brand could be heavily influenced by diverse business interests. The chockies have Panfers world of entertainment and a business Group that puts them at the top of the list. Now, if that's the case we will have some pretty diverse interests when the development is operational i'd a thought. That might make a few like Nien sit up a bit more perhaps.

Panthers also have a fantastic Rugby League area/market, which has to help.

CRONULLA emerged as the big losers in yesterday's release of the 2014 NRL draw, with scheduling estimated to cost the struggling club up to $200,000 next season.

ASADA's spotlight might be on the Sharks, but the broadcasters' certainly isn't.

The Sharks will play more Monday night games, four, than any other club and have effectively been locked out of their preferred Sunday afternoon timeslot.

There are fears Cronulla could lose up to 20 per cent of their budgeted revenue, or roughly $200,000.

A lack of free-to-air TV exposure will make it even harder for the Sharks to find a major jersey and sleeve sponsor.

The Broncos face no such struggles, kicking off their season with 10 straight Friday night matches on Channel Nine.

Cronulla specifically asked for more for Sunday afternoon matches - but were ignored.

"Our priority was to play as many Sunday afternoon games as possible," Flanagan said. "I don't care when or where we play - neither do the players - but I am more concerned for our fans.

"We will have to change our strategy now to get the people through the gates.

Cronulla's only Sunday afternoon game is against Newcastle in round 18.

And Sharks types didn't just have a case of Mondayitis, with the Origin period scheduling coming under fire

Round one of the 2014 NRL season promises to deliver a number of tense encounters, with Rabbitohs v Roosters and Sea Eagles v Storm the pick of the bunch.

"How can Raiders and Eels get byes before Origin games? Parramatta only supplied Jarryd Hayne for one game this year and how many did the Raiders supply?

"But the biggest joke is the Warriors have two byes pre-Origin and supply no players - this is a ridiculous schedule

As was to be expected, some clubs were happy with it, others filthy.

"The draw is a spectacular advertisement for our game," said NRL head of football, Todd Greenberg.

"It will see the most incredible match-ups and fans and members should have genuine excitement going into 2014."

Matches this year - to be covered by Fox Sports - will switch from Sunday nights to a traditional 3pm kick-off on Saturdays.

Fox Sports chief executive Patrick Delany added: "On normal Saturday we can now be on-air from around midday until 9.30pm.

"And it will all be quality, premiership rugby league".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...e-to-unfair-draw/story-fni3gokz-1226775361917