What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fair point. I hope they are priced reasonably if that is the reason behind it.

Was that you that did the jersey each team wears spreadsheet last year? Be interesting to see the comparison this year to last year.
Yeah I've done it again this year. Will post at the end of the season.

The roosters had $2 million in merch revenue last year. Even if that were exclusively jersey sales that's only 12000 jerseys sold across the entire year. That was up $1 million+ on 2012 too, so we won't see sales like that again in 2014.

You are kidding yourself if you think the roosters will be moving thousands of these things. They probably won't even manufacture 1000 of them all told.

I don't think you have a flying clue about merchandising :lol:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Penrith Bathurst jersey for next Saturday's game:

BsfLDqOCIAAYHfs.jpg

Is this meant to represent something??

100%green

Juniors
As I said, a compromise would be to still make them but keep them out of the on-field product. That way you all get your super special one-offs and the on-field product doesn't suffer.

And that would be fine but merchandise sells when the players wear it. So they'd have to wear it for a fair bit of training work or media appearances to get the fans to part with $$$

Danish

Referee
Yeah I've done it again this year. Will post at the end of the season.

I don't think you have a flying clue about merchandising :lol:

I know how much we made last year in total sales, and I know that was more than double what we made the year before that given it was a premiership year. Those figures put a cap on roosters jersey sales at no more than 12000 last year, and more likely around 10000. We won't sell anywhere near that this year given form and the simple fact people don't buy jerseys every year.

But please fill us with your knowledge of roosters jersey sales oh wise one. Obviously spending 23 hours per day setting up game day threads gives you tremendous marketing insight

100%green

Juniors
It's about the integrity of the club and the jumper. Players on official club business are expected to dress in official club clothing be it suit and tie or training gear. Why? Because they are representing the club. The club is meant to stand for something in the community and the colours and logo of the club are symbols of the club.

The jersey of a team represents who you are and your history. The premiers of 1989, 1990 and 1994 didn't run out in hulk jerseys or yellow jerseys representing a new phone. They played in green jerseys because that is the traditional colours of the team.

I'm all for supporting causes and for marketing but it has become a joke this year. A jersey and a team strip is a uniform for a reason - you take pride in it and do anything to honour it. When you dress up as the hulk or batman for a buck you lose the jumper's integrity.

End rant.

While I see you're point mate I think that you are taking it to the extreme a little bit.

100%green

Juniors
Seems strange that the league survived prior to these one-offs. Even stranger that the one-offs have gotten out of hand since the TV deal. Its a shameless cash grab and nothing more, claiming that they are necessary for survival is a cop-out. Its been said enough times in this thread but you have to strike a balance between making money and maintaining brand integrity and its being thrown way out of balance. You wouldn't see a large corporation compromise their brand to this extent because it becomes a self-defeating exercise.

You're either bending the truth or you only know a very narrow demographic of Raiders fans. I'd wager a large proportion of our fanbase hate tacky shit like this.

I know a fair few who want one. Not to have a go at you mate cause you know I like your stuff but yourself and few others on here need to realise just cause you think it's tacky or compromising our brand doesn't make it gospel. You look at how popular comics and comic book movies are these days. If they help get new fans on board is that a good thing?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
But please fill us with your knowledge of roosters jersey sales oh wise one. Obviously spending 23 hours per day setting up game day threads gives you tremendous marketing insight

I probably would've replied to you until you sunk to such a pathetic level :lol:

Sad sad little man.

thorson1987

Coach
It looks like the Western Rams jersey (Group 10 and 11 rep). If they were going to pay homage to a local jersey why wouldn't they just do the Bathurst Panthers one?

I would say because they are there for the area, not just Bathurst itself. ( iirc Bathurst also has 2 clubs so would be unfair on one of them)

So why not wear a jersey representing the whole area.

Danish

Referee
What i find surprising or alarming even is they only made a $2000 profit last year with revenue around the $20mil mark...........

No company run by a greek ever makes money according to the books...

City Ford didn't turn a profit for 30 years :sarcasm: