What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

goodplayer

Juniors
Wow, just wow.

If anything was to say NRL is not a sport it is a business it's this.

All the one-offs before have been tolerable, but 5 teams wearing non recognisable (except maybe canberra) super hero jerseys is WAY over the top.
raiders, dragons , colours relate to jerseys

LOL, we accept gambling and alcohol advertising to be part of our game but everyone cracks a shit about promotional jerseys.

Get a f**king grip.
thats right , get a reality check ;-)
Didnt the Bulldogs also release an "Avatar" jumper a few years back?
yes bulldogs did . rabbits had superman ,

nsw blues jersey could be aqua man jersey maybe

raiders - ninja turtles

eagles- birdman jersey

:p

supercharger

Juniors
We really don't want to be comparing ourselves to the Toledo Mud Hens now do we?

What's wrong with the mud hens they're valued at $22 million generated $9 million in revenue last year And have attracted 6 million fans since moving to fifth third field in 2002.

GAZF

First Grade
That would make the one-offs completely worthless to the groups who are in most cases paying very large amounts of money to have their logos on the jersey.

No special jersey no large payday for the clubs, and a very easy payday at that!

Look at some point you guys are going to have to accept that the NRL is a big business that needs to make money and promote it's self constantly to survive. Jerseys like these are a brilliant way to do both theses things, extremely cheaply.

Seems strange that the league survived prior to these one-offs. Even stranger that the one-offs have gotten out of hand since the TV deal. Its a shameless cash grab and nothing more, claiming that they are necessary for survival is a cop-out. Its been said enough times in this thread but you have to strike a balance between making money and maintaining brand integrity and its being thrown way out of balance. You wouldn't see a large corporation compromise their brand to this extent because it becomes a self-defeating exercise.

BTW I hope ISC prints thousands of the Raiders ones as pretty much every Raiders fan I know (even the super casual ones that haven't attended a game in decade!) wants one, might be a fight down at Jerseys for these if there aren't enough.

You're either bending the truth or you only know a very narrow demographic of Raiders fans. I'd wager a large proportion of our fanbase hate tacky shit like this.

Zigwaa

Bench
BsfN54eCMAAfwUw.jpg:large

Better look at the Canberra Hulk jersey

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
How many of these jerseys to do actually expect clubs to sell? I would argue under 500 jerseys per team, probably well under, actually.

Name another code in the world that sells out its entire kit dozens of times per year across the league. It simply doesn't happen anywhere else.

I think you're absolutely clueless if you think these jerseys would sell less than 500 of each per club. :lol:

As for other codes doing things, NFL have various themed sleeves throughout the season, EPL teams have bizarre clash kits, third kits etc. AFL do Indigenous Round, Super Rugby too... hell Australia's T20 kit is now black.

Time to grow up and move on from criticising something that's going to generate revenue for our clubs.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I like the raiders one but can't afford one..

so I'm going to rip a few bits out of my current one, paint my torso green, draw on some abs with a sharpie and nobody will know any different..

Zigwaa

Bench
I like the raiders one but can't afford one..

so I'm going to rip a few bits out of my current one, paint my torso green, draw on some abs with a sharpie and nobody will know any different..

Don't forget the purple waist band

Danish

Referee
I think you're absolutely clueless if you think these jerseys would sell less than 500 of each per club. :lol:

As for other codes doing things, NFL have various themed sleeves throughout the season, EPL teams have bizarre clash kits, third kits etc. AFL do Indigenous Round, Super Rugby too... hell Australia's T20 kit is now black.

Time to grow up and move on from criticising something that's going to generate revenue for our clubs.

The roosters had $2 million in merch revenue last year. Even if that were exclusively jersey sales that's only 12000 jerseys sold across the entire year. That was up $1 million+ on 2012 too, so we won't see sales like that again in 2014.

You are kidding yourself if you think the roosters will be moving thousands of these things. They probably won't even manufacture 1000 of them all told.

supercharger

Juniors
They only have those sort of values because they have virtually no running costs. If you added back staffing and equipment paid for by the MLB affiliate on their behalf they would have basically no value at all. Take into account the running costs and the values would drop considerably

Yes I know that. it helps that MLB teams take care of the expenses for all of the field personnel as well as paying for half of the equipment and that contributes to the MiLB teams? overall margins and profitability. But attendance is still good and MiLB saw revenue top over $55 million in retail sales last year

MiLB has come along way from where it was in the 1960s. When Minor League Baseball was rotting and dying a slow death.