What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

100%green

Juniors
cause is good, but its a terrible design

they could make them training jerseys. NRL rules wont let them sell them unless worn in game or training. The origin training jerseys the last few years have had different deisgns, both teams have done armoured one and this qld had the croc one. at elast they used the teams colours for them unlike these marvel ones

Origin and NRL are two different beasts and sales reflect that. Most Origin merch sells when you only have two teams and two whole states behind them. They may still sell if they are Training Jerseys but you cannot do the same marketing campaign or get the same exposure and companies aren't going to waste their time on that.

yeah i'm sure the local comic book geeks are going to start following the roosters because of the jersey....

use this type of shit for training or nines, not for "marvel round". Do we get the DC jerseys next week? what about we get a big sponsor to sponsor all 16 clubs for the round - and give them all the same jersey design and colours and all that will tell them apart can be the sponsors and club logo on the chest?

Mate "Comic book geeks" aren't they stereotype and can follow sports. Not to mention this medium now is more popular due to the movies so it was more a comment that fans of the franchise might get onboard. Good thing you're not in charge or marketing.

Judging from the positive reaction and sales in one day alone then I'd say it was a was a stroke of genius. Looking at the videos ISC produced i would say with Marvel, the coverage they are getting and the dollars that the clubs would be making I'd say whoever came up with the idea would be very happy.

I'd look at it the other way that it says something about the game that a global group like Disney/Marvel want to do something like this with the NRL.

If this went to the AFL instead of the NRL I wonder how many people would be blowing up that we missed an opportunity or why the NRL isn't looked at?

I've no doubt that there will be some short term money sloshing around with this. But to me, the sight of our (RL) teams running around as Superman one week, the Hulk the next, or whatever, with our own brand subsumed almost entirely, shows that we, rugby league, think that we are a lesser thing. And that is how we are putting ourselves out there. It's short term gain, granted, but in the long term it does us harm. It's a cultural cringe, if you like. Like that ever present Australian characteristic of getting excited because we're mentioned on the news overseas for five seconds.

I can't imagine the NFL or the EPL prostituting themselves like this. No we aren't that big. No we don't have their money. But we aren't broke. And surely we have some self-respect?

This speaks more broadly to jerseys. Advertising is inevitable. But is also needs to be reined in. Do we really want to keep going until we look like this?

2014-Jersey.jpg

I think the NRL should:

1- "Buy back" over time some of the jersey slots of teams. Calculate the average of say the bottom back of the jersey slot, put a loading on that amount, ban advertising in that spot and add the payment to each team's annual grant. Over time, we would tidy up jerseys, and increase the value of the remaining slots through scarcity. Ideally there would be a front of the jersey sponsor and sleeve sponsors. No neck sponsor. Name on the back. When we look like that, we have a stronger brand.

2- Stop the one-off jersey madness. Home/away. That's it. The heritage round concept has been degraded into meaninglessness. The women in league concept is great, but the jerseys are trite. Indeed, if they want to sell pink versions of jerseys by all means go for it, but keep them off the field. Our jerseys could be like the NY Yankees, LA Dodgers hats. Merchandised in all sorts of colours. But our teams need to keep it real on the field.

3- Nines is where jersey madness can live. It's a preseason giggle, a lot of fun. Try out different jerseys. There will even be a novelty factor again if there are stricter controls during the season.

Last edited:
Mate "Comic book geeks" aren't they stereotype and can follow sports. Not to mention this medium now is more popular due to the movies so it was more a comment that fans of the franchise might get onboard. Good thing you're not in charge or marketing.

Here's the thing: I like rugby league, and I like the history of late antiquity. That doesn't mean I want to see the Broncos dressed up like Justinian. (Even if they have been, excuse the pun in advance, plagued with poor form lately.)

Sell merchandise to people by all means. Have tie ins. I'll be the first person who is stoked if there is a blow up Hagia Sophia jumping castle at Lang Park.

But most of all, let's keep some integrity on the field. It costs money in the short term, but is good business in the long term. And we are now starting to get the sort of money that gives us the option of long term thinking.

100%green

Juniors
I've no doubt that there will be some short term money sloshing around with this. But to me, the sight of our (RL) teams running around as Superman one week, the Hulk the next, or whatever, with our own brand subsumed almost entirely, shows that we, rugby league, think that we are a lesser thing. And that is how we are putting ourselves out there. It's short term gain, granted, but in the long term it does us harm. It's a cultural cringe, if you like. Like that ever present Australian characteristic of getting exciting because we're mentioned on the news overseas for five seconds.

I can't imagine the NFL or the EPL prostituting themselves like this. No we aren't that big. No we don't have their money. But we aren't broke. And surely we have some self-respect?

This speaks more broadly to jerseys. Advertising is inevitable. But is also needs to be reined in. Do we really want to keep going until we look like this?

2014-Jersey.jpg

I think the NRL should:

1- "Buy back" over time some of the jersey slots of teams. Calculate the average of say the bottom back of the jersey slot, put a loading on that amount, ban advertising in that spot and add the payment to each team's annual grant. Over time, we would tidy up jerseys, and increase the value of the remaining slots through scarcity. Ideally there would be a front of the jersey sponsor and sleeve sponsors. No neck sponsor. Name on the back. When we look like that, we have a stronger brand.

2- Stop the one-off jersey madness. Home/away. That's it. The heritage round concept has been degraded into meaninglessness. The women in league concept is great, but the jerseys are trite. Indeed, if they want to sell pink versions of jerseys by all means go for it, but keep them off the field. Our jerseys could be like the NY Yankees, LA Dodgers hats. Merchandised in all sorts of colours. But our teams need to keep it real on the field.

3- Nines is where jersey madness can live. It's a preseason giggle, a lot of fun. Try out different jerseys. There will even be a novelty factor again if there are stricter controls during the season.

You're going to extremes if you're using a team from the USARL that need to have that many sponsors as they are still basically a amateur league.

I actually think you are underselling the game instead of the people who are running it.

100%green

Juniors
Here's the thing: I like rugby league, and I like the history of late antiquity. That doesn't mean I want to see the Broncos dressed up like Justinian. (Even if they have been, excuse the pun in advance, plagued with poor form lately.)

Sell merchandise to people by all means. Have tie ins. I'll be the first person who is stoked if there is a blow up Hagia Sophia jumping castle at Lang Park.

But most of all, let's keep some integrity on the field. It costs money in the short term, but is good business in the long term. And we are now starting to get the sort of money that gives us the option of long term thinking.

So for those of us who like this have to miss out cause you don't like it? Seems fair!

Pierced Soul

First Grade

i am a comic book geek which is why i used the term :p

of course people from all areas of life follow sport, but people arent going to follow a sport because something of interest to them has a crossover. my argument is that it doesnt necessarily appeal to a wider market and whilst there may be non RL fans buying the jerseys because it's got their heroes costume on it, i very much doubt it will translate into more bums on seat or people watching on tv. vice versa i doubt many rugby league fans will rush out to the local comic book store cos manly wore a wolverine jersey

100%green

Juniors
i am a comic book geek which is why i used the term :p

of course people from all areas of life follow sport, but people arent going to follow a sport because something of interest to them has a crossover. my argument is that it doesnt necessarily appeal to a wider market and whilst there may be non RL fans buying the jerseys because it's got their heroes costume on it, i very much doubt it will translate into more bums on seat or people watching on tv. vice versa i doubt many rugby league fans will rush out to the local comic book store cos manly wore a wolverine jersey

You may be right but the dollars and exposure is a good thing for the game in my mind is the point I am making. And yes I love comics and footy so match made in heaven. :D

You're going to extremes if you're using a team from the USARL that need to have that many sponsors as they are still basically a amateur league.

I actually think you are underselling the game instead of the people who are running it.

To be fair, I am not comparing us to that, but I am saying that we don't want to keep going until we reach an extreme. Clearly, they need those sponsors, and I don't think that anyone would say Spinner is doing a bad job on the commercial front.

So for those of us who like this have to miss out cause you don't like it? Seems fair!

It's just a forum opinion. You don't have to miss out on anything. I don't run the game. That said, it is a zero sum game, isn't it? you cry "I can't miss out" but you want others to miss out on their preferred way of doing things? Hmmmm.

Anyway, as I said in an earlier post, I think this is a generational difference. If younger males want to run around dressed up in their Superman or Incredible Hulk costumes, go for it.

01029008.zoom_.a.jpg

:sarcasm:

100%green

Juniors
To be fair, I am not comparing us to that, but I am saying that we don't want to keep going until we reach an extreme. Clearly, they need those sponsors, and I don't think that anyone would say Spinner is doing a bad job on the commercial front.

I never said he was. And to a degree I do think the jerseys need less sponsors. The neck one I don't like. ESL jerseys are awful without a club and comp logo. But that is my way of looking at it and others may thing the NRL way of doing things is odd.

It's just a forum opinion. You don't have to miss out on anything. I don't run the game. That said, it is a zero sum game, isn't it? you cry "I can't miss out" but you want others to miss out on their preferred way of doing things? Hmmmm.

Anyway, as I said in an earlier post, I think this is a generational difference. If younger males want to run around dressed up in their Superman or Incredible Hulk costumes, go for it.

01029008.zoom_.a.jpg

:sarcasm:

That was my point. There are some that want one or two jerseys and others who are happy with the current way jerseys are don't. It's a matter of taste.

Or it's just an old way of looking at things. ;-)

The Great Dane

First Grade
I feel they need to tone down on the blue and gold and focus on the green. The green and white is a clean look and too much blue/gold makes it messy, especially with there being less real estate for busy striping. Some thin trim on the sleeves, shorts and socks is adequate and would stand out well on a plain green jersey.

The amount of blue and gold is about right where it is, more would be better but any less would be a bad idea.

I'm not from the area but I haven't heard reference to the Queanbeyan Raiders being used since the 1980's, a large chunk of fans would not even know what you're talking about. The team is based in Canberra, plays in Canberra and services the whole region surrounding Canberra. There's the QLC connection but it is played down for the most part. I doubt Queanbeyanites feel more entitled to the club either. Seems like the club has well and truly stripped that moniker and proven itself equally disconnected from the entire fanbase, regardless of where they are.

Every since the Brumbies started to have some success and the Raiders started to slump in the early 2000s it started to rear it's head again.

It started with Brumbies fans claiming that the Brumbies were the only Rugby team from the ACT and grew from there.

Meanwhile as the Brumbies are going from strength to strength on the field and investing heavily in ACT Rugby (making Canberra one of the premier RU cities in the country),connecting with the Tuggeranong Vikings group (the wealthiest junior sporting club in the southern hemisphere) building an iron clad connection with the local schools which sees pretty much every junior in the ACT worth their salt fall into the Brumbies system, the Raiders are the kings of plodders on the field, they're focusing on juniors outside of the ACT and funneling them all into the Queanbeyan Blues, doing everything in their power to keep control of the club in the hands of a couple of families from Queanbeyan and calling their fans useless idiots all along the way.

The Raiders did strip the moniker in the 1990s (moving to Bruce and all) but they've pretty much already gained it back in a large part of the community, and trust me the people of Queanbeyan are more then willing to remind the people of Canberra where the Raiders 'started' and what the people in control of the clubs agendas are.

cooko

Juniors
Purely an opinion but (for the home and away):

• The V stinks. The striping is too busy and the club logo gets lost in it. Its incredibly shallow yet still cut off by the sponsor.
  • I didn't like the shade of green to begin with but am now a fan, more appealing to the general fan than the really bright lime.
  • Unnecessary hemline, thats an ISC thing in general though
  • Number font. I hate impact and plenty of teams have been using it of late.
  • Trying too hard with the shorts striping just to fit green on it.
  • Pretty much everyone agrees that the socks are terrible

I feel they need to tone down on the blue and gold and focus on the green. The green and white is a clean look and too much blue/gold makes it messy, especially with there being less real estate for busy striping. Some thin trim on the sleeves, shorts and socks is adequate and would stand out well on a plain green jersey.

I'm not from the area but I haven't heard reference to the Queanbeyan Raiders being used since the 1980's, a large chunk of fans would not even know what you're talking about. The team is based in Canberra, plays in Canberra and services the whole region surrounding Canberra. There's the QLC connection but it is played down for the most part. I doubt Queanbeyanites feel more entitled to the club either. Seems like the club has well and truly stripped that moniker and proven itself equally disconnected from the entire fanbase, regardless of where they are.

Without the blue and gold the raiders would lose all their links to the ACT in term of club colours.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The amount of blue and gold is about right where it is, more would be better but any less would be a bad idea.

The V is just so badly done, and so over used in the NRL...

Its a shame to lose the solid green, but i see your point on the prominence of the blue/gold on the jersey.

It should just be a horizontal stipe (so basically the "heritage" jersey in stronger colours...)

Either across the stomach (like the Cronulla stripe) or upper chest (like Parras current jersey), It would improve the design dramatically!!!

Lambretta

First Grade
The V is just so badly done, and so over used in the NRL...

Its a shame to lose the solid green, but i see your point on the prominence of the blue/gold on the jersey.

It should just be a horizontal stipe (so basically the "heritage" jersey in stronger colours...)

Either across the stomach (like the Cronulla stripe) or upper chest (like Parras current jersey), It would improve the design dramatically!!!

The Raiders heritage jersey with stronger band colours would definitely be your best design out of your current range

I wouldn't mind the V design if it was a proper V but it's so wishy washy and squashed I it just looks lost

Lambretta

First Grade
Hull KR are a team that should have IMHO one of THE iconic jerseys in the rugby league world. White with a red band across the middle. But oh how they butcher it every year or two

Agreed, I just thought this was a nice design for armed services day and a great improvement on some of the camouflage jerseys we have seen

cooko

Juniors
The Raiders heritage jersey with stronger band colours would definitely be your best design out of your current range

I wouldn't mind the V design if it was a proper V but it's so wishy washy and squashed I it just looks lost

What about this?
jersey%20c.jpg

My design that made the final vote when they came out with the current design. The raiders forum poll had it as an easy winner at the time but the final vote was apparently from a a poll in the canberra times and the players.

The other 3 finalists were all variations of the current design but I'm not getting into any conspiracy theories despite manly and nth qld also coming out with the same template...

Last edited: