What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

mr wiggles

Juniors
24117.jpg

GAZF

First Grade
Every since the Brumbies started to have some success and the Raiders started to slump in the early 2000s it started to rear it's head again.

It started with Brumbies fans claiming that the Brumbies were the only Rugby team from the ACT and grew from there.

Meanwhile as the Brumbies are going from strength to strength on the field and investing heavily in ACT Rugby (making Canberra one of the premier RU cities in the country),connecting with the Tuggeranong Vikings group (the wealthiest junior sporting club in the southern hemisphere) building an iron clad connection with the local schools which sees pretty much every junior in the ACT worth their salt fall into the Brumbies system, the Raiders are the kings of plodders on the field, they're focusing on juniors outside of the ACT and funneling them all into the Queanbeyan Blues, doing everything in their power to keep control of the club in the hands of a couple of families from Queanbeyan and calling their fans useless idiots all along the way.

The Raiders did strip the moniker in the 1990s (moving to Bruce and all) but they've pretty much already gained it back in a large part of the community, and trust me the people of Queanbeyan are more then willing to remind the people of Canberra where the Raiders 'started' and what the people in control of the clubs agendas are.

Fair enough, there is merit to accommodating to the entire region surrounding the ACT though. From the outside looking in, it just seems that the club has been equally incompetent in engaging any local community.

The amount of blue and gold is about right where it is, more would be better but any less would be a bad idea.

Without the blue and gold the raiders would lose all their links to the ACT in term of club colours.

Not saying we cut the blue and gold. I've been refining a design for a while that I might post in the other thread soon.

The V is just so badly done, and so over used in the NRL...

Its a shame to lose the solid green, but i see your point on the prominence of the blue/gold on the jersey.

It should just be a horizontal stipe (so basically the "heritage" jersey in stronger colours...)

Either across the stomach (like the Cronulla stripe) or upper chest (like Parras current jersey), It would improve the design dramatically!!!

The Raiders heritage jersey with stronger band colours would definitely be your best design out of your current range

I wouldn't mind the V design if it was a proper V but it's so wishy washy and squashed I it just looks lost

The V just doesn't suit us given how many colours we have. Disagree on the chest striping, placement of the sponsor is going to look weird once you bring those colours to full saturation.

09_raidladiesjers.jpg

You either place the sponsor over/under the striping or put a box over it. Teams with solid striping can do it but not Canberra.

What about this?
jersey%20c.jpg

My design that made the final vote when they came out with the current design. The raiders forum poll had it as an easy winner at the time but the final vote was apparently from a a poll in the canberra times and the players.

The other 3 finalists were all variations of the current design but I'm not getting into any conspiracy theories despite manly and nth qld also coming out with the same template...

I remember your design on the GH. I wasn't a fan at the time but you absolutely got ripped off. The club was hellbent on giving the illusion of choice but made it too obvious that it was rigged.

Fair enough, there is merit to accommodating to the entire region surrounding the ACT though. From the outside looking in, it just seems that the club has been equally incompetent in engaging any local community.

f**king oath, they have been woeful.

never had the raiders at a school i was at.

my father is a PE tecaher. has been in the ACT system for 20 odd years. hasnt had the raiders in the schools he's been in either.

The raiders basically ignore anything south of belconnen. dead set they are lazy.

i know 2 genuine fans in canberra of the raiders. the rest support

Sharks
Dragons
Dogs
Manly
Broncos
Melbourne etc

Every since the Brumbies started to have some success and the Raiders started to slump in the early 2000s it started to rear it's head again.

It started with Brumbies fans claiming that the Brumbies were the only Rugby team from the ACT and grew from there.

Meanwhile as the Brumbies are going from strength to strength on the field and investing heavily in ACT Rugby (making Canberra one of the premier RU cities in the country),connecting with the Tuggeranong Vikings group (the wealthiest junior sporting club in the southern hemisphere) building an iron clad connection with the local schools which sees pretty much every junior in the ACT worth their salt fall into the Brumbies system, the Raiders are the kings of plodders on the field, they're focusing on juniors outside of the ACT and funneling them all into the Queanbeyan Blues, doing everything in their power to keep control of the club in the hands of a couple of families from Queanbeyan and calling their fans useless idiots all along the way.

The Raiders did strip the moniker in the 1990s (moving to Bruce and all) but they've pretty much already gained it back in a large part of the community, and trust me the people of Queanbeyan are more then willing to remind the people of Canberra where the Raiders 'started' and what the people in control of the clubs agendas are.

Brumbies rise coincided with superleague, which i really think for canberra has never quite recovered from.

alot of that casual fan base were turned off league by superleague. dont go, dont support the raiders and have been lost to

Union
AFL

etc.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The V just doesn't suit us given how many colours we have. Disagree on the chest striping, placement of the sponsor is going to look weird once you bring those colours to full saturation.

09_raidladiesjers.jpg

You either place the sponsor over/under the striping or put a box over it. Teams with solid striping can do it but not Canberra.

Thats pretty much what i imagine (except with better sponsor integration).

I think it would even be worth doing something similar to this...

99b0d871fd0ada049879a91bb808ea7b.png

822e7fb2ecc63d745bcfa161c294640a.png

I know its a bit of a "Cronulla" look, but getting past that it would fix most of your problems and, with green, no one will confuse who you are...

Last edited:

GAZF

First Grade
how about. jussst how about.

go back to this.

th

Lime Green. White collar

Stripes on the sleeves.

Tone down the green a bit and its pretty timeless. Make minor variations on that for the regular jersey and I'd even tolerate the other nonsense designs a few times a year.

100%green

Juniors
Yep. If it ain't broke....

Can't understand why they changed from this.

Ok, so the Raiders go back to this classic design that you like. They sign a deal with all their sponsors for the next 4 years so basically nothing changes. Are you buying more than one jersey in that time?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok, so the Raiders go back to this classic design that you like. They sign a deal with all their sponsors for the next 4 years so basically nothing changes. Are you buying more than one jersey in that time?

That's where your specials and one offs become your annual cash cow. Besides how many clubs sign 4 years sponsorships?

I hate it in SL that clubs dramatically change jerseys every year, I reckon sales aren't that much better as plenty of people then choose if to buy or not on the design, I haven't bought one of my clubs in years as they refuse to produce jerseys that actually relate to the heritage of the club.

100%green

Juniors
That's where your specials and one offs become your annual cash cow. Besides how many clubs sign 4 years sponsorships?

I hate it in SL that clubs dramatically change jerseys every year, I reckon sales aren't that much better as plenty of people then choose if to buy or not on the design, I haven't bought one of my clubs in years as they refuse to produce jerseys that actually relate to the heritage of the club.

But that's the thing there are people arguing for just a home jersey in a traditional style (much like the AFL) and minimal usage of away or event jerseys. So my question is if that is the case (and yes I am aware that long term sponsors are not common practice) how many jerseys get sold?

BunniesMan

Immortal
If the AFL teams can still manage good sales while largely sticking to traditional jerseys so can NRL teams.

Show me numbers where Souths and St George struggle to sell as many as teams that change constantly like the Tigers or Titans or Cowboys or Warriors.

The vast majority of people don't have the finances or lack of intelligence to buy every new jersey.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But that's the thing there are people arguing for just a home jersey in a traditional style (much like the AFL) and minimal usage of away or event jerseys. So my question is if that is the case (and yes I am aware that long term sponsors are not common practice) how many jerseys get sold?

I think a compromise has to be found. Stay loyal to your brand, image and heriatge through the same home shirt design. Mix it up a bit with alternate shirts worn when necessary. Have 1-2 one off shirts a year. That way everyone buys a home jersey every 3 years or so and you have the option of buying anyone of three new ones a year if one takes your fancy.

I'd allow
One standard home jersey min 3 year design
One Alternate jersey change every year if so wish
Nines jersey (go wild and knock yourselves out for the fun aspect, or movie sponsor tie ins like the Marvel jerseys)
One of the current other options (heritage,Indig,Anzac,WIL, on the road, charity etc)

That's 4 jerseys a year. 75% of time the home jersey should be worn, alternate or special as when needed/desired.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The V is just so badly done, and so over used in the NRL...

Its a shame to lose the solid green, but i see your point on the prominence of the blue/gold on the jersey.

It should just be a horizontal stipe (so basically the "heritage" jersey in stronger colours...)

Either across the stomach (like the Cronulla stripe) or upper chest (like Parras current jersey), It would improve the design dramatically!!!

I don't really care whether the V stays or goes, personally I'd prefer if we left it behind simply because the design is over used in the NRL, but I wouldn't really mind if it stayed.

f**king oath, they have been woeful.

never had the raiders at a school i was at.

my father is a PE tecaher. has been in the ACT system for 20 odd years. hasnt had the raiders in the schools he's been in either.

The raiders basically ignore anything south of belconnen. dead set they are lazy.

i know 2 genuine fans in canberra of the raiders. the rest support

Sharks
Dragons
Dogs
Manly
Broncos
Melbourne etc

South of Bruce and west of Queanbeyan would be a better description IMO.

To be fair to the Raiders they did do a few school visits not that long ago, but they don't do as many as they should be doing or nearly as regularly as they should be doing them.

Considering the size of Canberra and Queanbeyan they should be looking to visit all the schools in the region at least once every couple of years, more when it's possible.

Brumbies rise coincided with superleague, which i really think for canberra has never quite recovered from.

alot of that casual fan base were turned off league by superleague. dont go, dont support the raiders and have been lost to

Union
AFL

etc.

I agree and disagree.

I think the simple fact that the Brumbies have had more success then the Raiders since Superleague has had more of an affect, but Superleague certainly didn't help.

is this, not the same as this?

so yeah, stay with this. they've tried others and failed. stick to the ridgy didge

The green on the 2010 one is darker then the old one.

If the AFL teams can still manage good sales while largely sticking to traditional jerseys so can NRL teams.

From memory the AFL doesn't manage as many merch sales as the NRL though! In the end money always wins in business.

Show me numbers where Souths and St George struggle to sell as many as teams that change constantly like the Tigers or Titans or Cowboys or Warriors.

I don't even know if these numbers exist, but they would make an interesting read.