What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

100%green

Juniors
If the AFL teams can still manage good sales while largely sticking to traditional jerseys so can NRL teams.

Show me numbers where Souths and St George struggle to sell as many as teams that change constantly like the Tigers or Titans or Cowboys or Warriors.

The vast majority of people don't have the finances or lack of intelligence to buy every new jersey.

Did I say that these teams never sell gear? No.

You will always sell jerseys no matter if they are AFL that rarely change or Super Rugby that do most seasons.

And using Souths and Dragons, two of the biggest teams in the NRL with large supporter bases is a flawed argument.

The fact is all teams will sell gear. BUT having alternatives and one off does not damage your brand or your integrity. I do think teams should all have launches at the start of the season so fans know what is coming and can choose to buy what they want to. Then the argument of "Fans can't afford it" doesn't exist as they can choose what they want.

And for those arguing the ISC/Marvel thing is a joke:

It's clobberin' time
The NRL?s Marvel Comics promotion, which will see several clubs wear superhero-inspired jerseys in round 21, has already given the sport plenty of international exposure.
Pictures of the jerseys have already been viewed by 1.1 million unique visitors, which is more than the NRL Facebook page?s total number of likes.
A top Argentinian rugby union writer was one of those to tweet about the promotion.
Four Nations tickets also went on sale this week. I am told the designated Samoan fan bay at Suncorp Stadium for the tournament opening double header on October 25 is selling particularly well.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...partypooper-20140717-ztury.html#ixzz37lpVht7F

beave

Coach
That's so awesome!!! some minnow sport in a minnow country has a journo tweeting about the marvel jerseys!!!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Some people on this forum are so far behind the times it's actually cringeworthy :lol:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The best place for novelty jerseys is the nines comp. The crowd that attended there had a lot of fun dressing up, the carnival atmosphere would suit 'fun' jerseys.

The NRL should set guidelines:

Club Jersey: to be worn for the majority of games

Clash/Alternate: to be worn away from home only when there is a clash with the home team's strip. The decision on whether it is to be worn is at the NRL's discretion. This is an alternate, not an away jersey.

Each year a club can decide between further honouring Women in League or Indigenous round by wearing an appropriate jersey. The next year they alternate. Therefore the 8 home teams for WiL round wear a pink design, the 8 home teams wear an indigenous design. The next year that changes. Both causes are still celebrated by all 16 teams, they just don't wear a different strip. The draw can be constructed around these rounds so that biannually every team has an indigenous & pink jersey that is only worn during those rounds.

Heritage or retro jersey: Each club is allowed to have one to wear in the appropriate round.

1 x charity jersey per club per year to be worn on a one off occasion.

Therefore the clubs have 5 jerseys to wear a year:
Regular
Alternate
Women in League or Indigenous
Charity
9s promotional jersey.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The NRL should also set guidelines on what colours the club uses to represent themselves. These colours are then the only colours allowed to be used when designing home & alternate strips.
3-4 colours is the limit.

LESStar58

Referee
24117.jpg

Why did Souffs wear this? The next Superman movie aint out until 2016...

I actually flew over to Auckland to see the Broncs play for this game:

1344299-700x451.jpg

To say I was shocked when they walked out was an understatement!

The article was a bit uninformed, though. It said:

For some strange reason in the late 1990s and early 2000s the Broncos occasionally trotted out in this aqua affair. It was never apparent what the aqua stood for considering the club’s official team colours are listed as maroon, brown and gold. However, one thing is certain: it was a hideous jersey.

The teal jersey was our sevens jersey. I remember a club statement at the time saying that our this would be our sevens colour. Needless to say, sevens soon died.

$_20.JPG

After the NRL came into being we went through a few ways of dealing with jersey clashes. I remember in '99 we had an alternate of our home with gold sleeves and gold shorts which was truly hideous. I am not uncertain that it was so the sole reason gold almost disappeared from our repertoire (especially away) for so long.

Then the teal came our to avoid clashes a few times. And now? Gone, it seems, forever. At least, until it will come back as one of nine special event jerseys or whatever one year. Maybe with a comic book theme? Or Sesame Street?

Edit: Oh yeah. And brown? The RLW article was clearly written by some 14 year old signed up using Mechanical Turk to churn out "content".

Last edited: