What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

Tom Shines

First Grade
Any grown man considering buying one of these abominations needs to be reported to the appropriate departments

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
we can't afford to be given the 'Queanbeyan Raiders' moniker again.

why not? there's a strong linkage between the raiders and queanbeyan...

queanbeyan has provided the raiders the 1989 premiership..

and damon booby.

some11

Referee
Any grown man considering buying one of these abominations needs to be reported to the appropriate departments

But they look cool bro.

Yes I'm aware my club did a dopestrong jersey which is worse than this (thanks to hindsight)

My two euro's worth on the Marvel jerseys is that they are an abomination. Yes, there is some money involved, but surely not enough to make up for the cheapening of the game. It's truly infantile stuff. What makes it truly reprehensible is the Cowboys and Manly jerseys: specifically their colours. A telescopic closeup of the badge is the only way of identifying the teams.

I say this as someone with a team wearing two absolute shockers every this year. And with a shocker of a heritage.

This sort of promotion is what I might've expected from the Moffat era when the game was on its knees. Why is it now that we are awash in money that we are going so downmarket?

Hang your head in shame, Marvel teams, in shame.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disagree, would have been better as nines jerseys but the designs are great. I'm no Roosters fan but that capt America jersey is going on my movie room wall right next to the shield!

Must be a generation gap thing. :)

Edit: agree re: nines. That is the place for crazy jerseys. No issue there. But the number of one offs throughout the season is now just crazy. Would love a season of home/away only. No special jerseys.

Lambretta

First Grade
Watched Hull KR game against Huddersfield and Rovers were wearing a fairly decent looking Armed Services Day shirt

It was in their colours. Red background with a white Union Jack outline on the front

Judging by the numbers in the crowd wearing it, it proved a hit with the fans

I can't copy and paste as using an iPad

Last edited:
Hull KR are a team that should have IMHO one of THE iconic jerseys in the rugby league world. White with a red band across the middle. But oh how they butcher it every year or two.

For no good reason, my other favourite "iconic" club RL jerseys (in no particular order) are:

- Souths, but they really need to fix up that bit down the side
- St George, obviously. Ditto St Helens
- Manly's double stripe jersey that they criminally are ignoring again
- Wigan's cherry and white stripes
- Wynnum-Manly's green with red sleeves (think Wally)

I can't copy and paste as using an iPad

military_orig-705x504.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hull KR are a team that should have IMHO one of THE iconic jerseys in the rugby league world. White with a red band across the middle. But oh how they butcher it every year or two.

For no good reason, my other favourite "iconic" club RL jerseys (in no particular order) are:

- Souths, but they really need to fix up that bit down the side
- St George, obviously. Ditto St Helens
- Manly's double stripe jersey that they criminally are ignoring again
- Wigan's cherry and white stripes
- Wynnum-Manly's green with red sleeves (think Wally)

I agree we are lucky if we get our actual branded jersey once every five years. This years is a shocker, we look more like Salford than Salford do!

ellskimore

Juniors
I agree, anyone know which club has the most jerseys in a season?

My guess would be the Warriors. Being in the crowd at the Nines, the crowd was dominated by Warriors supporters all wearing Warriors jerseys. Only problem was there was no dominant sea of colour because they have so many alternate jerseys and colours.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is there anyone who will wear all ten possible variants this year?
Home
Alternate
WIL
Heritage
Movie tie in
Indig
ANZAC
Nines
Charity
On the road
???

I think only Panthers and Warriors have on the road specials? The merged would probably have more than one home and one alternate? Does anyone other than Manly have a charity jersey?

supercharger

Juniors
Is there anyone who will wear all ten possible variants this year?
I think only Panthers and Warriors have on the road specials? The merged would probably have more than one home and one alternate? Does anyone other than Manly have a charity jersey?
Maybe paul lukas of uni watch is right about jersey retailing driving bad designs

Canard

Immortal
My two euro's worth on the Marvel jerseys is that they are an abomination. Yes, there is some money involved, but surely not enough to make up for the cheapening of the game. It's truly infantile stuff. What makes it truly reprehensible is the Cowboys and Manly jerseys: specifically their colours. A telescopic closeup of the badge is the only way of identifying the teams.

I say this as someone with a team wearing two absolute shockers every this year. And with a shocker of a heritage.

This sort of promotion is what I might've expected from the Moffat era when the game was on its knees. Why is it now that we are awash in money that we are going so downmarket?

The Abomination.

Great idea for a new Marvel jersey.

GAZF

First Grade
What do you mean by poorly executed?

Purely an opinion but (for the home and away):

• The V stinks. The striping is too busy and the club logo gets lost in it. Its incredibly shallow yet still cut off by the sponsor.
  • I didn't like the shade of green to begin with but am now a fan, more appealing to the general fan than the really bright lime.
  • Unnecessary hemline, thats an ISC thing in general though
  • Number font. I hate impact and plenty of teams have been using it of late.
  • Trying too hard with the shorts striping just to fit green on it.
  • Pretty much everyone agrees that the socks are terrible

Though I too hate the white jersey, the Raiders need to keep as much blue and gold on the jerseys as possible otherwise they run the risk of pissing off the local fanbase even more, we can't afford to be given the 'Queanbeyan Raiders' moniker again.

I feel they need to tone down on the blue and gold and focus on the green. The green and white is a clean look and too much blue/gold makes it messy, especially with there being less real estate for busy striping. Some thin trim on the sleeves, shorts and socks is adequate and would stand out well on a plain green jersey.

I'm not from the area but I haven't heard reference to the Queanbeyan Raiders being used since the 1980's, a large chunk of fans would not even know what you're talking about. The team is based in Canberra, plays in Canberra and services the whole region surrounding Canberra. There's the QLC connection but it is played down for the most part. I doubt Queanbeyanites feel more entitled to the club either. Seems like the club has well and truly stripped that moniker and proven itself equally disconnected from the entire fanbase, regardless of where they are.

Godz Illa

Coach

Your username is spot on.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
the raiders indigenous jersey aint so bad, at least its for a good cause

cause is good, but its a terrible design

And that would be fine but merchandise sells when the players wear it. So they'd have to wear it for a fair bit of training work or media appearances to get the fans to part with $$$

they could make them training jerseys. NRL rules wont let them sell them unless worn in game or training. The origin training jerseys the last few years have had different deisgns, both teams have done armoured one and this qld had the croc one. at elast they used the teams colours for them unlike these marvel ones

If they help get new fans on board is that a good thing?

yeah i'm sure the local comic book geeks are going to start following the roosters because of the jersey....

use this type of shit for training or nines, not for "marvel round". Do we get the DC jerseys next week? what about we get a big sponsor to sponsor all 16 clubs for the round - and give them all the same jersey design and colours and all that will tell them apart can be the sponsors and club logo on the chest?

100%green

Juniors

Judging from the positive reaction and sales in one day alone then I'd say it was a was a stroke of genius. Looking at the videos ISC produced i would say with Marvel, the coverage they are getting and the dollars that the clubs would be making I'd say whoever came up with the idea would be very happy.

I'd look at it the other way that it says something about the game that a global group like Disney/Marvel want to do something like this with the NRL.

If this went to the AFL instead of the NRL I wonder how many people would be blowing up that we missed an opportunity or why the NRL isn't looked at?