What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

Jason Maher

Immortal
My kids juts discovered those super hero jerseys. My daughter is stoked the Dragons are Iron Man. My son has betrayed me. Has decided Iron Man is not his favourite super hero any longer, but Captain America is. Just remember that all of you dickheads defending this as "great for kids".

My kids juts discovered those super hero jerseys. My daughter is stoked the Dragons are Iron Man. My son has betrayed me. Has decided Iron Man is not his favourite super hero any longer, but Captain America is. Just remember that all of you dickheads defending this as "great for kids".
I believe the response to that is that you have no son...

kdalymc

Bench
$_20.JPG

".

I need to find out about this jersey, I actually may have some info too. I play for a new club in the Brisbane sth side comp, we play out of beenligh at Bill Norris Oval. I was at the pub a while ago and a bloke told me Broncos jnrs used to play there. I didn't know If he just meant a feeder club or the actual 17s, and 19s from 1997.. anyway forgot about this until last night, we had a meeting in the club house, and here is a photo of this exact jersey however its for the local team the Beenleigh Bulls. also next to it is another photo of Ben Walker wearing the jersey but it only had one badge on it and I couldn't read it. SOOOOO im wondering if its just a bulls design, OR there were broncos jnrs there, who used these colours... Im just more confused now but it was interesting to see this EXACT jersey there and co- insided with old mates story about broncos jnrs at this field...

Danish

Referee
The Marvel jerseys seemed reasonably popular at the roosters game today. Saw probably a dozen or so at the ground and back at the club they had sold out of all the non-fat kid sizes. Was in the shop checking out the jackets and heard the shop assistant tell a dad in there that they only had large kids sizes left and wouldn't be manufacturing any more so if he wanted one he'd have to buy a big one.

Looked to be plenty of stock of the adult ones, although there were certainly people in there buying them.

Makes you wonder how many that actually made if they were already sold out of the smaller sizes after only a few days on sale.

bileduct

Coach
The Raiders jersey has sold shitloads.

Someone mentioned on The Greenhouse that there was another shipment of jerseys expected in around two weeks. All of the store websites say there may be a 14 day wait for shipment due to the popularity of the promotion.

bileduct

Coach
Rebel Sport also have the jerseys, so I would say there were quite a few made.

Probably as many, if not more than, the Nines jerseys which are still available.

LESStar58

Referee
There is a conference in Melbourne for AIDS research hence Melbourne wearing red socks last night.

Read somewhere Melbourne were contributing $2 a ticket to Rise For Alex. Likely the extra dollar went to AIDS research.

Danish

Referee
Thought they weren't gonna sell many Danish? ;-)

I said they wouldn't sell more than 500. I stand by that, as I doubt we even ordered more than that judging by how quickly they have run out of sizes.

To compare, they made a few thousand of the members jersey, which you see everywhere at the games. Outnumbered the marvel jersey 10-15 to 1 yesterday. Despite so many more people wearing them they still have some for sale in the store. Gives you an idea of how limited the marvel run was.

gzerounian

Juniors
I think Manly are playing the Broncos during the Wolverine Jersey round. If this is the case, which broncos jesey will clash the least with Wolverine??....id say the heritage super league one?

supercharger

Juniors
But that's the thing there are people arguing for just a home jersey in a traditional style (much like the AFL) and minimal usage of away or event jerseys. So my question is if that is the case (and yes I am aware that long term sponsors are not common practice) how many jerseys get sold?

That's a good question. I don't have any figures for any of the sports leagues down here, but I know that back in Canada the top three teams in terms of merchandise revenue are the habs, leafs and riders. each of those teams has continuity in their uniforms, they're also insanely popular both in their markets and across country, saskatchewan accounts for 70% of all merchandise revenue in the CFL.
Below the 49th parallel and in baseball the Yanks and the Sawks are the highest earners in terms of merchandise revenue again both have continuity and both are extremely popular (isn't that right, espn?)
I have no problems with teams being innovative if you don't have a tradition and you don't have a winning legacy. if you can be innovative while looking good, you're bound to be a success when it comes to merchandise sales—you'll also be making people sales to people who aren't necessarily fans and an innovative design may sway the young fan who hasn't made up his or her mind about what team to cheer for and spend money on but make sure that today's innovation becomes tomorrow's tradition
The benefits of staying traditional include keeping local fans happy—players seem to prefer it, too. It keeps the overall look of the franchise consistent and it's easier to associate players of today with the players of yesterday.

Last edited:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
iSC seem to be the instigator of this

Why does a clothing company have so much say over the NRL ?

i think this is the saddest part. ISC and Marvel have decided to change teams jerseys for their own promotion. this isnt like soufs or the dogs selling new movie sponsorship for a game, this is the clothing manufacturer and a comic book company deciding they'd make the teams wear superhero costumes

100%green

Juniors
That's a good question. I don't have any figures for any of the sports leagues down here, but I know that back in Canada the top three teams in terms of merchandise revenue are the habs, leafs and riders. each of those teams has continuity in their uniforms, they're also insanely popular both in their markets and across country, saskatchewan accounts for 70% of all merchandise revenue in the CFL.
Below the 49th parallel and in baseball the Yanks and the Sawks are the highest earners in terms of merchandise revenue again both have continuity and both are extremely popular (isn't that right, espn?)
I have no problems with teams being innovative if you don't have a tradition and you don't have a winning legacy. if you can be innovative while looking good, you're bound to be a success when it comes to merchandise sales?you'll also be making people sales to people who aren't necessarily fans and an innovative design may sway the young fan who hasn't made up his or her mind about what team to cheer for and spend money on but make sure that today's innovation becomes tomorrow's tradition
The benefits of staying traditional include keeping local fans happy?players seem to prefer it, too. It keeps the overall look of the franchise consistent and it's easier to associate players of today with the players of yesterday.

Fair points, but for people using the US for example as a argument need to look at the fact that the US population is around 313.9 million. Even though all may not follow NFL, Baseball etc that is still a massive jump from Australia's 22.68 million of which support is spread between 4 football codes.

As for the jerseys being too expensive....that are same as Union. Marginally more than AFL (Sleeves cost apparently) and would be on par with say US ones.

As for number made and ordered. All 4 Rebel stores in Canberra got all teams bar the Cowboys and have already sold out of a lot. Jerseys Megastore got a lot of Raiders ones and are already out of 4 sizes. So do that math....

Joker's Wild

Coach
i think this is the saddest part. ISC and Marvel have decided to change teams jerseys for their own promotion. this isnt like soufs or the dogs selling new movie sponsorship for a game, this is the clothing manufacturer and a comic book company deciding they'd make the teams wear superhero costumes

You really think ISC just told the clubs to accept the jerseys without any financial reward?

ek999

First Grade
Seeing as though Newcastle and Souths aren't involved, I think the clubs must have got a choice to participate or not

PARRA_FAN

Coach
After the NRL came into being we went through a few ways of dealing with jersey clashes. I remember in '99 we had an alternate of our home with gold sleeves and gold shorts which was truly hideous. I am not uncertain that it was so the sole reason gold almost disappeared from our repertoire (especially away) for so long.

Two years in a row, Broncos played Manly at Brookvale and played an unusual strip.

This one was in 1998:

hopoate%20%26Sailor%20fight_338439_p.jpg

First time I remember them using the 02 version was against Penrith, cause I remember the Broncos another alternitive strip which had dark blue at the back and they probably felt they would clash against Penrith.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
You really think ISC just told the clubs to accept the jerseys without any financial reward?

i'd question how much of a reward they've been given to wear colours with zero association to their team i.e. manly. it's still a push from a clothing manufacturer

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wow, there are some serious, sad cynics going around.

Clubs "made" to? :lol:

Latest posts