What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

supercharger

Juniors
From an article on sports on earth.

To be a modern fan is to be constantly suffering a sales pitch. Through a certain lens, every game is part of some broader scheme to sell you logo-emblazoned socks and aprons, every great play a commercial. We don’t — and can’t, because we’d stop watching — think of sports this way, but that doesn’t make it untrue.
http://therotation.sportsonearthblog.com/the-game-is-to-be-sold/

some11

Referee
as means of expressing themselves, in some kidult-ish fashion. It’s really easy to sell garish branded objects to these sort of people.

Perfect way to describe anyone who bought those ISC jerseys.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
To be a modern fan is to be constantly suffering a sales pitch. Through a certain lens, every game is part of some broader scheme to sell you logo-emblazoned socks and aprons, every great play a commercial. We don’t — and can’t, because we’d stop watching — think of sports this way, but that doesn’t make it untrue.
http://therotation.sportsonearthblog.com/the-game-is-to-be-sold/

I cant believe people complain that there are ads slipped into sports. THATS HOW THEY PAY FOR IT!!!

This is a $400million-a-year league that you get charged nothing to watch, because rather then making you directly shell out a few grand a year they have managed to turn your passive eyesballs into valuable commodities.

Advertisers pay for the privilege of getting an ad in front of your face and in return for sitting through that they pay for your premium quality sport.

And its not like they force you to watch. If youre DETERMINED not to sit through their ads, then go watch a local League; because that average quality amature football game is what the NRL would be if you cut all of that evil sponsorship money....

Last edited:

100%green

Juniors
According to Sports Today on 2UE, the NRL have said the reaction to the Marvel jerseys has been massive and has sold over 20,000 jerseys from the 5 teams.

user_nat

Coach
I bet Manly sold about 4 of those 20,000 and 3 of them were to Eels fans.

They really drew the short straw.

100%green

Juniors
Great idea for promotion

Why do we have to actually play in them ?

Why can't we?

At the end of the day what sells is the 80 mins on tv. Exposure is what's valuable and I'm happy that the game is obviously popular and gaining enough exposure that companies are seeing worth in it.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Because it appeals to kids. That's it

And makes adults feel like their sport is a mickey mouse sport that will bow to the $$

Kids do not buy foxtel. Holden cars. Mobile fan plans . wild turkey bourbon

And isc and marvel provably made most of cash

beave

Coach
So around 4000 jerseys for each club.

I find that hard to believe but I'll take their word for it........

Mr Spock!

Referee
Wtf Manly in Parramatta colours?

Whose stupid idea was that?

Maybe next we'll see Souths in Easts colours and vice versa and Sharks playing in red and white.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
4 minutes into the game and Hadley is laying into them.

Only issue I have is that Manly look like Brisbane and Brisbane look like Manly

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Now that I see this shit in reality.

Its even more funny.

I reckon manly probably makes 30k net from this

Its not worth it.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Actually wonder if anyone in the crowd will sit through the whole game tonight thinking Brisbane were Manly

100%green

Juniors
Now that I see this shit in reality.

Its even more funny.

I reckon manly probably makes 30k net from this

Its not worth it.

Bitter the Eels aren't wearing it??? FFS give it a rest. If you are working for Manly your going to turn down 30k??? Glad you don't work at a club.

Last edited:

100%green

Juniors
Because it appeals to kids. That's it

And makes adults feel like their sport is a mickey mouse sport that will bow to the $$

Kids do not buy foxtel. Holden cars. Mobile fan plans . wild turkey bourbon

And isc and marvel provably made most of cash

Mate there aren't 20,000 kids jerseys walking around the place. Plenary of adults have purchased these along with foxtel, Holden cars, mobile fan plans (whatever they are???) and wild turkey bourbon.

And yes the Clubs, NRL, ISC and Marvel have made money. They are businesses that is their job.

And as for being a Mickey Mouse sport that will bow for a $....we have a lot more pressing issues to fix than jerseys marketing.

But you keep screaming at the sky buddy.....go for gold. :sarcasm:

Last edited: