What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

forward pass

Coach
Yes, it seems Hulk does wear purple shorts (buggered if I know for sure ... I haven't read a comic book since I was about 15!), as they made sure to include it on the bottom of the jerseys (see below).

25494-canberra-raiders-2014-kids-hulk-jersey-740.jpg

I didn't see the game, however I can imagine doing this would make the Canberra players look like a bunch of Harry Highpants!!

yes - I thought that was why they couldn't make a tackle - because their shorts were up around their waist. Then I realised......

Eddie Lab

Juniors
the super hero Jerseys are currently on the front page of Reddit. so that's some good advertising.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Dear f**king lord you are the absolute opposite of the Voice of Reason. You are egotistical, self-important beyond belief and think your opinion on this issue at least is in the vast majority...

Sadly for those who access footy outside this forum by, you know, attending, talking to people, interacting on social media etc... it's a great initiative. Casual observers paid attention. AFL fans in Melbourne caught wind of it, and in general conversation were even somewhat jealous. Fans of OTHER NRL clubs were like "I'd buy that purely because I love (x superhero).

Mock anecdotal evidence all you like, belittle the evidence 100%green provided about interest overseas... fine - but don't for a minute think the diehards on here who are disgusted or upset by this are in any way shape or form representative of widespread opinion.
I am reporting this post for having too much common sense. (especially the last paragraph)

100%green

Juniors
Because a fair portion of BOTH of Brisbane's jerseys are gold themselves... therefore a clash comes into play. White made perfect sense and contrasted well. Simples.

Dear f**king lord you are the absolute opposite of the Voice of Reason. You are egotistical, self-important beyond belief and think your opinion on this issue at least is in the vast majority...

Sadly for those who access footy outside this forum by, you know, attending, talking to people, interacting on social media etc... it's a great initiative. Casual observers paid attention. AFL fans in Melbourne caught wind of it, and in general conversation were even somewhat jealous. Fans of OTHER NRL clubs were like "I'd buy that purely because I love (x superhero).

Mock anecdotal evidence all you like, belittle the evidence 100%green provided about interest overseas... fine - but don't for a minute think the diehards on here who are disgusted or upset by this are in any way shape or form representative of widespread opinion.

Couldn't have said it better!!!! :clap:

Talking to the so called "Voice of Reason" is like :BDH:

hellteam

First Grade

Lambretta

First Grade
I am reporting this post for having too much common sense. (especially the last paragraph)

I liked the idea of the promotion and thought it was worthwhile trying

The only things I would change would be colours to remain with the clubs, so Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk all with the right clubs.

Wolverine should be Parra

Thor hmmm

Hulk with more green and where possible teams involved in promotion playing each other

But those gripes aside, the Captain America ones were out in full force at the game last weekend and they seemed really popular. I think this is something we should be doing again in the future but it just needs tweaking

Nine out of ten for trying
Six out of ten for execution

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Absolutely agree. Debate the execution all you like, they could've put more thought into it... e.g. not stopped Souths from wearing the Man of Steel jersey (this happened according to Mascord), maybe found a way for Newcastle to be involved as well being that they're ISC clients too.

But overall, this sort of promotion can generate great leverage and exposure. It's not necessarily about the immediate impact either.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
^^^
That Parra jersey is a perfect example of a one-off done well!!!

It is perfect in every important aspect;it stays true to the clubs core image/colours, it promotes awareness of the Clubs brand (logo) and it's just generally well done.

This is the kind of thing EVERY club should be aiming for with the 9s jerseys

^^^

It is perfect in every important aspect;it stays true to the clubs core image/colours, it promotes awareness of the Clubs brand (logo) and it's just generally well done.

A distinct lack of marvel superheroes. 3/10.

kdalymc

Bench
Because a fair portion of BOTH of Brisbane's jerseys are gold themselves... therefore a clash comes into play. White made perfect sense and contrasted well. Simples..

Nahhh not really ey...

But yeah you think souths clash with Canberra so yeah...

Hey Tim. Sorry for having an opinion that differs with yours. But the fact is, I think you are wrong, and that cheap stunts like this do long term harm. I guess I am the only one that doesn't like the child-jerseys-for-adults.....

Fortunately this tripe is confined to ISC sponsored clubs only.

Go nuts, buy one for your kids. But any adults seen sporting these shouldn't be let in the gates

:lol: None of my mates would buy any of these monstrosities.

If they did, it would be time to re-evaluate the friendship.

Any grown man considering buying one of these abominations needs to be reported to the appropriate departments

The Abomination.

Great idea for a new Marvel jersey.

No but it seems some can be with these shit jerseys......

Wtf Manly in Parramatta colours?

Whose stupid idea was that?

Maybe next we'll see Souths in Easts colours and vice versa and Sharks playing in red and white.

Now that I see this shit in reality.

Its even more funny.

I reckon manly probably makes 30k net from this

Its not worth it.

those comic jerseys were exactly that -comical

they may have been done "well" but they were atrocious to see on a supposedly professional sports competition. that canberra setup was f**king awful

It was only ISC sponsored teams.

Thank f**k no other jersey manufacturer joined in on this disgrace.

Being lectured by Timmah about being on forums too much? That's like being lectured by Stalin on democracy.

Mock the veracity of "anecdotal evidence" when it is a trivial footnote of a mention on a comic book site, already forgotten? Will I f***ing ever!

I am sure, Tim, that you have commissioned Newspoll to get some sort of statistically significant sampling of opinion done. Otherwise, I wouldn't think for a second that your comic book fantasies are representative of what actual adults are thinking.

Timmah

Staff member
Nahhh not really ey...

But yeah you think souths clash with Canberra so yeah...

I'm obviously not the only one who thinks green could potentially clash with green, otherwise Souths wouldn't be wearing a one-off white strip to play them :lol:

Hey Tim. Sorry for having an opinion that differs with yours. But the fact is, I think you are wrong, and that cheap stunts like this do long term harm. I guess I am the only one that doesn't like the child-jerseys-for-adults.....
Ah the old "PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME LOOK AT THESE QUOTES". I think you should look up the words "majority" and "minority" and learn what they mean. They don't imply singular ownership - never said anything about you being the only one.

Being lectured by Timmah about being on forums too much? That's like being lectured by Stalin on democracy.
Don't think I said anything about being on forums too much. What I did say is talking to people on places OTHER than on here (you know this *is* in a thread dedicated to discussion on jerseys by diehard fans, right?) actually produces a different line to the umpteen quotes you posted above.

Mock the veracity of "anecdotal evidence" when it is a trivial footnote of a mention on a comic book site, already forgotten? Will I f***ing ever!

I am sure, Tim, that you have commissioned Newspoll to get some sort of statistically significant sampling of opinion done. Otherwise, I wouldn't think for a second that your comic book fantasies are representative of what actual adults are thinking.

I think the sales figures speak for themselves, what do you reckon? :lol:

Zigwaa

Bench
^^^

It is Parra's 9s jeresy in blue instead of white

What I did say is talking to people on places OTHER than on here (you know this *is* in a thread dedicated to discussion on jerseys by diehard fans, right?) actually produces a different line to the umpteen quotes you posted above.

Thanks for checking up on me, Edward Snowden. Good to see someone is keeping tabs on whether I talk to people in the real word and what the contents of those conversations might be.

I think the sales figures speak for themselves, what do you reckon? :lol:

I believe I said that the sales figures would be short term gain for long term brand cheapening. I stand by that and don't think it is necessarily contentious, especially for an organisation like the NRL that has suffered brand damage in the past.

So no, I don't think they speak for themselves. If your analysis ends at "sales this week no matter what are good" are be it.

Timmah

Staff member
Thanks for checking up on me, Edward Snowden. Good to see someone is keeping tabs on whether I talk to people in the real word and what the contents of those conversations might be.
You directly quote 15-odd posts from this forum, what other evidence do I have from you that suggests that your thought pattern represents everyone both on and off this forum?

I believe I said that the sales figures would be short term gain for long term brand cheapening. I stand by that and don't think it is necessarily contentious, especially for an organisation like the NRL that has suffered brand damage in the past.

So no, I don't think they speak for themselves. If your analysis ends at "sales this week no matter what are good" are be it.

Long term brand cheapening? Parramatta did an M&M's jersey back in 2000 for f**k sake, apart from jersey nerds like me and a few others on here, who actually remembers it - and those who do, do they really think 'oh god that cheapens the brand'.... really?

If a couple of one-off jerseys are damaging brands and an issue in the game, I'll give it away.

They're really not, basically.

You directly quote 15-odd posts from this forum, what other evidence do I have from you that suggests that your thought pattern represents everyone both on and off this forum?

My apologies, Your Honour. Henceforth I will adduce evidence of my neural patterns to assist the court in ascertaining the connections I may make between people I have met in "real life" and those whose ideas I have merely read online. May it please the court.

Long term brand cheapening? Parramatta did an M&M's jersey back in 2000 for f**k sake, apart from jersey nerds like me and a few others on here, who actually remembers it - and those who do, do they really think 'oh god that cheapens the brand'.... really?

Objection! My Learned Friend, Mr Timmah, appears to be submitting that novelty jerseys will only be remembered by a few jersey nerds. This flies in the face of his previous submission that Marvel jerseys are getting worldwide attention, even in the Peoples Republic of Victoria.

If a couple of one-off jerseys are damaging brands and an issue in the game, I'll give it away.

If you think that NRL teams are merely putting out "a couple of one-off jerseys" then you haven't been watching. Maybe you should give it away. Women in League, Close the Gap, Home, Away, the local team that won the country comp in 1974, Heritage, Nines.

And you call that "a couple of one-off jerseys". :lol:

Timmah

Staff member
My apologies, Your Honour. Henceforth I will adduce evidence of my neural patterns to assist the court in ascertaining the connections I may make between people I have met in "real life" and those whose ideas I have merely read online. May it please the court.

Objection! My Learned Friend, Mr Timmah, appears to be submitting that novelty jerseys will only be remembered by a few jersey nerds. This flies in the face of his previous submission that Marvel jerseys are getting worldwide attention, even in the Peoples Republic of Victoria.

If you think that NRL teams are merely putting out "a couple of one-off jerseys" then you haven't been watching. Maybe you should give it away. Women in League, Close the Gap, Home, Away, the local team that won the country comp in 1974, Heritage, Nines.

And you call that "a couple of one-off jerseys". :lol:

Your pedantry aside, what evidence do you have that this deeply troubling issue of different jerseys being used for special promotions is damaging the NRL's brand? :lol:

As I said there are far more important and damaging issues that affect the NRL's brand on a daily basis. These jerseys, be there 1 or 100 variations of them... are not.

Your pedantry aside, what evidence do you have that this deeply troubling issue of different jerseys being used for special promotions is damaging the NRL's brand? :lol:

None whatsoever. I was giving my opinion. And for the record, this is precisely what it was:

The long term detriment is that it adds to the perception of the NRL as a cheap and tacky competition.

I stand by that because I thought the jerseys were just that. People I talked to out in the real world (ie. at work) agreed. People you talked to disagreed. If nothing else, we have just proved that we don't work at the same place.

As I said there are far more important and damaging issues that affect the NRL's brand on a daily basis.

Couldn't agree more, and a few pages back I visually made that point. Much to the chagrin of sensitive types.

It is my opinion, and no I don't have an affidavit to tender, that selling out in a brazen and childish way doesn't do much to get the NRL viewed as a world class competition.

Here, on LU, #codeincrisis is the punch line to many a joke. Of course the NRL isn't going anywhere. But you would know as well as I do that the NRL is considered a bit of a joke on Eagle Street or Phillip Street. If we had a more professional image that might change. And broadening our demographic, in the context of crowds that may (or may not! ;-) ) be plummeting can hardly be a bad thing, can it?